What's new

To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up?

The Personnas are cool razors. The first one is like the Star razor
The Star is a great razor, same head as my Personna only difference is mine is all aluminium very light. They went by a few names like Pal etc..
The 'BBS-0' is a wonderful razor
It certainly is I rarely see them around & if I do they're not in good condition, we're lucky to have ours :smile1:

Brilliant thread & great list/ranking 🙂 I haven't logged on here for such a long time but occasionally have been browsing through the forum, always enjoy reading your posts. Hope you're well.

The Tech is timeless, no matter how much time passes by the Tech stays relevant & I love that. I probably have every single one lol I love them that much.

I agree with this & have mentioned it in the past I don't know what it is but I can tell the difference, the Canadian Pre War is my favourite. But to be honest I like them all, all for different reasons.

I have two of them one is just the head that one I use regularly with a Merkur 33c handle & the other one i have (2nd picture) which is in better condition stays in the cupboard.
View attachment 1430313
View attachment 1430308

This one I really like too, even though it's super super mild.
View attachment 1430317
View attachment 1430318

As for the clones my 2 Personna's are my favourite Tech clones. This one is more of a true tech clone
View attachment 1430319
View attachment 1430320

& this one which is unique & different- I believe we've had a conversation about this one in the past
View attachment 1430322
View attachment 1430323
View attachment 1430325

Here's a few of mine I had previously posted:

Post in thread 'A Great Shave with a $10 Tech' A Great Shave with a $10 Tech - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-great-shave-with-a-10-tech.582783/post-10585606

Post in thread 'A Great Shave with a $10 Tech' A Great Shave with a $10 Tech - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-great-shave-with-a-10-tech.582783/post-10585635
That Persona has flat angled sides like a Henson. Does it also bend the blade in a similar fashion? Techs do bend blades and it makes me wonder.

That Persona has flat angled sides like a Henson. Does it also bend the blade in a similar fashion? Techs do bend blades and it makes me wonder.
The Personna has a flat top with chamfered edges on each side, these razors (not all but most) minimise the blade feel which some people like & others don't, so sometimes the efficiency of such razors can deceive us in to thinking they're not cutting. Also I think the chamfered edges help to find the blade angle making them intuitive & easy to use.

The Personna razor does bend the blade but not drastically as one would imagine by looking at the top cap design.

Here's a blade seated in the top cap flat
20220329_014315.jpg

Here's the blade in razor with the handle unscrewed, it sits flat
20220329_014641.jpg

Here's the razor with the handle tightened it lifts up & bends
20220329_014832.jpg

Here's a oversized version of a similar concept: The Fine Marvel Razor
20220329_020036.jpg

I no longer have my Henson razor but I did like it, it was the Medium version.

I love most Techs dearly, actually they are at the very top of my preferred shaver list. #TechsRUs :001_wub:

Top of the line baseplatewise for me is (1) the Hybrid Tech and (2) standard US or British made postwar plate with rectangular holes. Both truly outstanding shavers. The Hybrid Tech of course is at the very top due to the rhodium and the overall built-like-a-tank feel. But I actually currently shave more often with the standard postwar, really like the modest/simple feeling of using this. And it too gives me absolutely impeccable shaves every time.

My personal beloved postwar favorite is a British made hollow fat handle razor in NOS condition, made only for the French market in 1950. That gives it quite the uniqueness for me.

Top handle for me by a landslide is the fat handle. The others are too skinny even as I have small-medium size hands. I never use modern/heavier handles, prefer the originality.

Two Techs are still on the fence at the moment: I shaved a couple times with the flat bottom and for some reason it felt harsher. But I need to get me another one to try it again, could simply be my technique.

Also, I recently got a couple of full bakelite models, I look forward to trying one of them out.

880F334F-4777-4C22-93C6-D6C539F74FCB.jpeg

Which of the techs can provide a similar shave to the 1940s British flatbottom, and still be found for a reasonable price?.below 100 dollars.

You guys thought the Hybrid Tech was the most expensive one, didn't you ? And the 70s spiral Tech, you've probably disdained it so far !🤪 But look what i have found on ebay canada...:rolleyes5

That's just the creme de la creme, gents ! I've taken a screenshot so that the forum will have a 'souvenir'...:biggrin:

Vintage Gillette Gold Tone and Silver Tone Adjustable Razors Aristocrat eBay.jpg

You guys thought the Hybrid Tech was the most expensive one, didn't you ? And the 70s spiral Tech, you've probably disdained it so far !🤪 But look what i have found on ebay canada...:rolleyes5

That's just the creme de la creme, gents ! I've taken a screenshot so that the forum will have a 'souvenir'...:biggrin:

It's funny how people think that the gold plated Slim ''Aristocrat'' without a case is worth way more than a regular Slim.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tech Tuesday
20220329_204914~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech (Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (5 and retired)
Brush: AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic
Fragrance: La Rive Hitfire Man
20220329_204949~2.jpg

Superb Top Tier Tech! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11707993

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
True, at least the Executive Fatboy has a different knurling pattern on the handle aside from being gold plated. Not that I would buy one, but at least it's not 100% the same like with the Slims.
I've got a Slim, a Fatboy, and an Executive. Aside from the gold plating, I believe Executive's were made with slightly more robust parts than standard Fatboy's. Mine weighs in a full gram more than my Fatboy, and everything feels more solid.
Plus I feel like a king when I use it! :hips:

~doug~

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

The Personna has a flat top with chamfered edges on each side, these razors (not all but most) minimise the blade feel which some people like & others don't, so sometimes the efficiency of such razors can deceive us in to thinking they're not cutting. Also I think the chamfered edges help to find the blade angle making them intuitive & easy to use.

The Personna razor does bend the blade but not drastically as one would imagine by looking at the top cap design.

Here's a blade seated in the top cap flat
View attachment 1430855

Here's the blade in razor with the handle unscrewed, it sits flat
View attachment 1430856

Here's the razor with the handle tightened it lifts up & bends
View attachment 1430857

Here's a oversized version of a similar concept: The Fine Marvel Razor
View attachment 1430858

I no longer have my Henson razor but I did like it, it was the Medium version.
Even though the cap on the Personna is angled, I can still use my preferred steep angle. Not true with the Henson.

The Personna will also accept rounded caps from a few other razors. Can you say 'Frankenrazor'. ;)

Even though the cap on the Personna is angled, I can still use my preferred steep angle. Not true with the Henson.

The Personna will also accept rounded caps from a few other razors. Can you say 'Frankenrazor'. ;)
That's what makes the Personna unique ;) innovative design for it's time, one of few older razors that covered the blade ends.

Wow I never really tried other caps on the Personna might give it a go to see if there's a combination that works.

A HUGE thank you to Brad (@BradWorld) who took pity on me, and let me have his only remaining Unicorn Gillette Hybrid Tech!

I received it in March, but postponed its proper opening and welcoming party till today (as I was taking part in the FFFMM).

Here it is!
H-1_2022-04-01.jpg

And a few more pics:
H-2_2022-04-01.jpg

H-3_2022-04-01.jpg

H-7_2022-04-01.jpg

Being a Lightweight Handle Fanboy (LHF), I swapped the (25½g) Tech Fat Handle for my beloved (14g) aluminum GT Handle
made specially for me by my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp):
H-8_2022-04-01.jpg

For anyone who's interested the loaded Hybrid Tech head weighs in at 32g (so the complete loaded razor with its GT Handle weighs 46g).

Naturally, my first Hybrid Tech shave was in order...

Gillette Hybrid Tech GT — First SOTD
H-SOTD-Y_2022-04-01.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/46 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Bignoli Neutro
Razor: Gillette Hybrid Tech GT
Blade: King C. Gillette (1)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A very pleasant shave. :biggrin:
This was my very first "Hybrid" shave, and it certainly didn't disappoint. I now fully understand (@Hannah's Dad) Dan's comment "... the Hybrid Tech shaves ‘like buttah’ ... ."

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Top Bottom