What's new

To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up?

The humble Gillette Tech. Many shavers, at some point, end up shaving with the humble Gillette Tech. According to the B&B WIKI (Tech - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Tech), Techs were manufactured from ~1939 to ~1979. From examples pictured in the B&B 'The Tech Clone Wars' thread (The Tech Clone Wars - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-tech-clone-wars.574729/), Tech style clones are still being made to this day.

In my Den, I have Techs of many styles & vintages, and have shaved with a bunch of them. Don't remember ever getting a truly 'bad' shave from a Tech. Having said that, there are several Techs that (in my opinion) are very capable of providing true, top tier results - especially when paired with larger diameter handles (big hands), really sharp blades and when used at a steep angle.

Preferred handles: Timeless Titanium, TiBam Titanium, Evgeny Koshelev Titanium, Charcoal Goods Copper, Charcoal Goods Brass.

Preferred blades: Feather, Perma-Sharp, Kai, Personna Israeli Platinum Red, Personna Med Prep, Wizamet Super Iridium.

So, which Techs can hold their own with the best in current and vintage razors? 🤔

Here are my personal Top Tier Techs:

1. Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England): Firmly positioned in my 'Big Dogs' Category and my #1 Vintage DE. To quote @Hannah's Dad, the Tech/NEW Hybrid shaves "Just Like Buttah".
View attachment 1423465

2. Gillette Pre-War (Canada*): The Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech is an outstanding vintage razor. Wonderful in use and performance! Yes, it really is that good and is positioned in my 'Big Dogs' Category, albeit below the Tech/NEW Hybrid.
View attachment 1423467

3. (Tie) Gillette #34 (Germany): Mild, smooth and effective. Provides great results. Definitely 'Runs With The Big Dogs', Borderline 'Big Dog'.
View attachment 1423471

3. (Tie) Gillette Flat Bottom (England) Medium, smooth and effective. Provides great results. Definitely 'Runs With The Big Dogs', Borderline 'Big Dog'.
View attachment 1423475

3. (Tie) Gillette Post-War (Canada*): Really great blade support. Offers a solid and controlled shave. Mild, smooth and effective. Definitely 'Runs With The Big Dogs'.
View attachment 1423476

*Please note: There are many experienced shavers who state that there is no difference between the Canadian made vs USA made Pre-War and Post-War Techs. My experiences with these Canadian and USA Techs has convinced me that there is a slight difference - primarily in efficiency - in favor of the Canadian made Techs. Whether you detect a difference, or not, the Pre-War and Post-War Techs that were made in both Canada and the USA are outstanding shaving tools.

Left to right:
View attachment 1423477
English Flat Bottom, German 34, Tech/NEW Hybrid, Canadian Pre-War, Canadian Post-War.
View attachment 1423479

There are tons more Techs to discuss, like the mid-1950s English #24 (my #6 ranked Tech), the Open Comb Techs, Contract Techs, mid-1960s Techs, Ball End Handle Techs, Aluminum Techs, Bakelite Handle Techs, Travel Techs and many more. I figured I'd stick to my personal Top 5 Techs and elaborate a bit on why I like them.

So, do you even like Techs? What are your favored Techs? Do you agree, or disagree, with my choices?

I look forward to our conversations. :cool:

Great summary of some of the best razors on the planet! (IMHO of course.) :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Thank you Never for this thread!

Here’s my current tech line up:
2 English Flat Bottoms, Canadian Pre War, USA Pre War, and USA Post War. My 2 favorites are the well broken in EFB followed by the Canadian Pre War. The EFB is just that much smoother to barely beat out the additional efficiency of the Canadian. Next is USA Pre war followed by USA Post War. My skin is on the sensitive side so YMMV

Agree 💯 on driving techs steep - really brings out their magic!!

F2A98C81-2FD5-473A-A45D-A1F3CF86A2D2.jpeg

8A0D49C3-7243-4C21-B922-1F236E5D775C.jpeg

The humble Gillette Tech. Many shavers, at some point, end up shaving with the humble Gillette Tech. According to the B&B WIKI (Tech - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Tech), Techs were manufactured from ~1939 to ~1979. From examples pictured in the B&B 'The Tech Clone Wars' thread (The Tech Clone Wars - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-tech-clone-wars.574729/), Tech style clones are still being made to this day.

In my Den, I have Techs of many styles & vintages, and have shaved with a bunch of them. Don't remember ever getting a truly 'bad' shave from a Tech. Having said that, there are several Techs that (in my opinion) are very capable of providing true, top tier results - especially when paired with larger diameter handles (big hands), really sharp blades and when used at a steep angle.

Preferred handles: Timeless Titanium, TiBam Titanium, Evgeny Koshelev Titanium, Charcoal Goods Copper, Charcoal Goods Brass.

Preferred blades: Feather, Perma-Sharp, Kai, Personna Israeli Platinum Red, Personna Med Prep, Wizamet Super Iridium.

So, which Techs can hold their own with the best in current and vintage razors? 🤔

Here are my personal Top Tier Techs:

1. Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England): Firmly positioned in my 'Big Dogs' Category and my #1 Vintage DE. To quote @Hannah's Dad, the Tech/NEW Hybrid shaves "Just Like Buttah".
View attachment 1423465

2. Gillette Pre-War (Canada*): The Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech is an outstanding vintage razor. Wonderful in use and performance! Yes, it really is that good and is positioned in my 'Big Dogs' Category, albeit below the Tech/NEW Hybrid.
View attachment 1423467

3. (Tie) Gillette #34 (Germany): Mild, smooth and effective. Provides great results. Definitely 'Runs With The Big Dogs', Borderline 'Big Dog'.
View attachment 1423471

3. (Tie) Gillette Flat Bottom (England) Medium, smooth and effective. Provides great results. Definitely 'Runs With The Big Dogs', Borderline 'Big Dog'.
View attachment 1423475

3. (Tie) Gillette Post-War (Canada*): Really great blade support. Offers a solid and controlled shave. Mild, smooth and effective. Definitely 'Runs With The Big Dogs'.
View attachment 1423476

*Please note: There are many experienced shavers who state that there is no difference between the Canadian made vs USA made Pre-War and Post-War Techs. My experiences with these Canadian and USA Techs has convinced me that there is a slight difference - primarily in efficiency - in favor of the Canadian made Techs. Whether you detect a difference, or not, the Pre-War and Post-War Techs that were made in both Canada and the USA are outstanding shaving tools.

Left to right:
View attachment 1423477
English Flat Bottom, German 34, Tech/NEW Hybrid, Canadian Pre-War, Canadian Post-War.
View attachment 1423479

There are tons more Techs to discuss, like the mid-1950s English #24 (my #6 ranked Tech), the Open Comb Techs, Contract Techs, mid-1960s Techs, Ball End Handle Techs, Aluminum Techs, Bakelite Handle Techs, Travel Techs and many more. I figured I'd stick to my personal Top 5 Techs and elaborate a bit on why I like them.

So, do you even like Techs? What are your favored Techs? Do you agree, or disagree, with my choices?

I look forward to our conversations. :cool:
Love the Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England) but at the current selling prices I and many others may never get an opportunity to try one. With today's technology, and if that razor is truly that good, I can't imagine it wouldn't be duplicated and made more available by a boutique razor mfg. Of course there wouldn't be the "collectability" but it would give many more of us the chance to try a great razor. If is trading for $300-$500 USD is there current razors out there that shave as good or better? Just my $0.02.

Love the Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England) but at the current selling prices I and many others may never get an opportunity to try one. With today's technology, and if that razor is truly that good, I can't imagine it wouldn't be duplicated and made more available by a boutique razor mfg. Of course there wouldn't be the "collectability" but it would give many more of us the chance to try a great razor. If is trading for $300-$500 USD is there current razors out there that shave as good or better? Just my $0.02.

If you want a ''rare''/uncommon razor at good price, you either have to stay 24/7 refreshing the endless pages on Ebay with the hopes of finding any of them put with a wrong spelling like Gilet, Gilette or with wrong name like REG US or Fatboy that is on sale for $10 or so. Or spend more times on the shaving forums and groups and become a friend with most of the collectors and you will get them at much better prices.

I've discovered the second option much later and bought a couple of common and slightly uncommon razors in very good condition at much better prices, including a caseless Hybrid Tech in usergrade condition, but it will take at least a few months before I get my hands on it.

I also don't think that the Hybrid is that rare at all. Even on this forum, lots of folks own or use to own at least 2-3 at some point. It's just that the hype at the moment is off the charts and as soon as one of them shows up, someone who owns at least 3-4 Hybrids snags it without second though. The same thing applies for other vintage razors as well and as usual people follow the latest trends like with what happend the toilet paper a while ago.

If you want a ''rare''/uncommon razor at good price, you either have to stay 24/7 refreshing the endless pages on Ebay with the hopes of finding any of them put with a wrong spelling like Gilet, Gilette or with wrong name like REG US or Fatboy that is on sale for $10 or so. Or spend more times on the shaving forums and groups and become a friend with most of the collectors and you will get them at much better prices.

I've discovered the second option much later and bought a couple of common and slightly uncommon razors in very good condition at much better prices, including a caseless Hybrid Tech in usergrade condition, but it will take at least a few months before I get my hands on it.

I also don't think that the Hybrid is that rare at all. Even on this forum, lots of folks own or use to own at least 2-3 at some point. It's just that the hype at the moment is off the charts and as soon as one of them shows up, someone who owns at least 3-4 Hybrids snags it without second though. The same thing applies for other vintage razors as well and as usual people follow the latest trends like with what happend the toilet paper a while ago.
One just now ended on e**y for $440 including shipping...crazy. I'll be patient and wait for the right opportunity.

Can anyone explain what is the difference between the Canadian pre-war model and the American version? Is it just magic or the placebo effect that makes the Canadian one shave better?

:biggrin:

One just now ended on e**y for $440 including shipping...crazy. I'll be patient and wait for the right opportunity.

Recently a lot of folks were looking for Hybrids and for whatever reason, lots of Hybrids ended up for sale everywhere like it was a miracle or something and that's how i've got mine too looool.
Can anyone explain what is the difference between the Canadian pre-war model and the American version? Is it just magic or the placebo effect that makes the Canadian one shave better?

I have no idea, since I haven't used any of the Canadian Techs and I haven't done a proper research as well as asking any verified and trustworthy owners about their opinion, but i've seen lots of old posts about them and I believe they were the real deal before the Hybrid and the Flat Bottom Techs became a thing. The only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself. Besides, the Canadian Techs won't be as near as expensive as the Hybrids or the Flat Bottoms are.

I have no idea, since I haven't used any of the Canadian Techs and I haven't done a proper research as well as asking any verified and trustworthy owners about their opinion, but i've seen lots of old posts about them and I believe they were the real deal before the Hybrid and the Flat Bottom Techs became a thing. The only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself. Besides, the Canadian Techs won't be as near as expensive as the Hybrids or the Flat Bottoms are.
I'll be on the lookout for one. I'm curious about them, since I really like the 1940s fat handle Tech for mild shave days. Just a bit more efficient would be nice.

Still, it is strange that no one seems to be able to articulate what is different about the Canadian Techs.

I love Techs and have owned and tried a crap-ton of them. For ME, personally, best shavers among them were as follows, in order:

1) British Hybrid Tech
2) Canadian Pre-War Tech
3) British Flat-bottom Tech
4) US post-war Tech
5) US pre-war Tech

I had an absolutely pristine Candian pre-war that for some reason I let go. And yes, for US Techs, I prefer the post-war to the pre-war version.

I do agree that the Canadian version shaves better, but I can't explain why. Perhaps it is a placebo effect.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The English Tech/NEW Hybrid is an extremely balanced razor. Used properly (steep and with a Feather blade), the Hybrid is medium+ efficient and high+ smooth. The sum total is a highly effective razor that is a pleasure to use - even on my old barbed wire whiskers. Yes, it may take an extra pass, but the end result is superb, with no blood or irritation. :thumbup:

Both the Canada and USA Pre-War and Post-War Techs are outstanding shaving instruments. My personal preference is for the Pre-War version.

I live in the USA. My natural biases favor USA made products. Got to say, after going back and forth with the Canada vs USA Pre-War and Post-War Techs, the Canadian Techs shave a notch more efficient + the same level of smoothness = a notch more effective.

We are not talking about night and day differences here. If you find a USA Pre-War in decent shape, grab it, put a Feather blade in and enjoy the heck out the wonderful shaves that you will get.

If you really want to kick things up a notch, get your Pre-War Tech rhodium plated and add a Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium Handle. Pure Tech wonderfulness. :cool:
20220309_072510~2.jpg

The only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself. Besides, the Canadian Techs won't be as near as expensive as the Hybrids or the Flat Bottoms are.
Agree 100% with this. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Still, it is strange that no one seems to be able to articulate what is different about the Canadian Techs.
I did. Please see post #31. ;)

Also this note in my original post:

I'll be on the lookout for one. I'm curious about them, since I really like the 1940s fat handle Tech for mild shave days. Just a bit more efficient would be nice.

Hard to say, but I guess there might be a very small difference between the US and the Canadian head designs, which impacts the shave somehow. If you search around the forum, you will find many 6 + years old posts about the Canadian Techs.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you Never for this thread!

Here’s my current tech line up:
2 English Flat Bottoms, Canadian Pre War, USA Pre War, and USA Post War. My 2 favorites are the well broken in EFB followed by the Canadian Pre War. The EFB is just that much smoother to barely beat out the additional efficiency of the Canadian. Next is USA Pre war followed by USA Post War. My skin is on the sensitive side so YMMV

Agree 💯 on driving techs steep - really brings out their magic!!

View attachment 1423858
View attachment 1423859
Beautiful collection of Techs! :)

The humble Gillette Tech.

I have a small collection of Gillette Tech razors. To be honest the differences between them are quite small. The new Gillette Super Blue from China shaves almost the same as the English Flat Bottom or the prewar triangle hole or the 60's post-war. They're all really good.

...If you really want to kick things up a notch, get your Pre-War Tech rhodium plated and add a Timeless Crown TRH8 Polished Titanium Handle. Pure Tech wonderfulness. :cool:
I already have a early Tech (WWII was in progress in Europe, so Pre-War is a bit of a misnomer). I use a Gillette Heritage handle for that light, agile, sports car feeling. Also, still have the original fat handle for it.

No Rhodium plating, but that does look very nice in your photo.

Placebo effect I suspect. I have a USA prewar and a bunch of other Techs. TBH the differences are small. I've got to the point where I wouldn't spend any more money on Techs. They're just small variations on the same razor. Fantastic razors, all of them, though. Gillette had 80 years to perfect the design.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I already have a early Tech (WWII was in progress in Europe, so Pre-War is a bit of a misnomer). I use a Gillette Heritage handle for that light, agile, sports car feeling. Also, still have the original fat handle for it.

No Rhodium plating, but that does look very nice in your photo.
Bright shiny things have always caught my attention. ;)

Top Bottom