What's new

To tape or not to tape when honing, what are your thoughts, how many tape or no tape?

Tape is a tool that can be used to increase the bevel angle and protect the spine. For my own razors I prefer acute bevel angles and only use tape where not using it would yield angles under 15 degrees. If I'm honing for others, especially people new to straight shaving, I'm more likely to use tape as I feel that larger bevel angles are more forgiving and also more robust at keeping an edge if they are used with poor technique (high shaving angle).

Worked for me Vic! The edge you gave this newbie is still incredible, even with my (probably) less than great stropping technique. I'm still learning, but the shaves on that razor you honed are really good.

Worked for me Vic! The edge you gave this newbie is still incredible, even with my (probably) less than great stropping technique. I'm still learning, but the shaves on that razor you honed are really good.
Well thank you very much, I'm glad your enjoying it. I normally test shave after I hone as a reality check, so when I can't, like at a meet, it's nice to hear that I did a good job.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you tape a wedge, you will spend a lot of time and metal resetting the bevel to no tape.

If you buy a razor that they have used tape on the spine when honing, then when you do a touch up you have to tape right, because of bevel angle right?

My knowledge level is not so great in this area.
This is my interpretation of my experience.
I had some hollow ground razors professionally honed.
The man taped the spine.

I used a barber's hone to touch up, WITHOUT TAPE.
I did this without trying to set a bevel, I did not use any 'progression', only a barber's hone.

Perhaps one can set a bevel on a barber's hone (people say they cut fast).
I suspect the amount of metal to removed to hit the edge without tape was a trivial amount of metal.

Jody

Top Bottom