What's new

To SV or Not

Good question. It's a good soap but i think it's already expensive for what it is. I have zero allegiance to Italian milled soaps so take it for what it's worth.
True. It is a good question: I’m a huge fan of SV (Felce is my favorite) and I love using it. But the price/value question is hard because I’ve a number of other excellent soaps for a lot less. However, I do still buy it, so the price/value determination is that (for me) it’s worth it.

If SV's scents were more pedestrian would the soaps' performance justify the price?

Good question. It's a good soap but i think it's already expensive for what it is. I have zero allegiance to Italian milled soaps so take it for what it's worth.

True. It is a good question: I’m a huge fan of SV (Felce is my favorite) and I love using it. But the price/value question is hard because I’ve a number of other excellent soaps for a lot less. However, I do still buy it, so the price/value determination is that (for me) it’s worth it.

I think the law of diminishing returns almost necessarily applies with soaps in this price range.

To give some added perspective though, I'd say it's fair to think of SV as very much in line price-wise with many higher-end US artisan soaps. As long as you're a little bit savvy with your online shopping, a puck of SV can often run ~$35-45 for 150g/5.3oz of soap. This is a very hard puck though and I'd wager it will last you as many shaves as approximately two 4oz tubs of one of the US artisan offerings, which tend to be quite a bit softer. So if you're willing to buy US artisan tubs in the $17-23 range, purchasing SV shouldn't really be thought of as hugely different.

Edit: I'd be curious to hear if others more or less agree with this math or not. I haven't done any rigorous testing to back it up, it's just the sense that I get after using these soaps for a while (both SV and US artisans).

Last edited:
Top Bottom