What's new

To stretch or not to stretch...

Before overanalyzing everything I was doing (could be the problem to begin with...) I used to make my skin moderately taught before each stroke of the razor.

Recently, I heard/read that this is only necessary when using a straight razor. It sounds like there would be a great deal of play between the razor and my cheek, making for a less efficient/effective stroke.

I'm curious to know what y'all think/do.

Before overanalyzing everything I was doing (could be the problem to begin with...) I used to make my skin moderately taught before each stroke of the razor.

Recently, I heard/read that this is only necessary when using a straight razor. It sounds like there would be a great deal of play between the razor and my cheek, making for a less efficient/effective stroke.

I'm curious to know what y'all think/do.
When I use a SR, I stretch my skin. I don’t stretch when using a safety razor, but I do puff the cheeks a little, especially to smooth out a deepening laugh line.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It depends of course on the shape of the face. Stretching can be more important in SR shaving as there is no bar/comb preceding the edge.

It is important to also not over stretch. If you are prone to them, over stretching can lead to ingrown whiskers.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
A little stretching makes everything go a little more smoothly. If using a safety razor, sometimes the stretch the comb or bar provides can be enough.

With a multi-blade cartridge razor, one of the features of having multiple blades is that the skin is stretched between the blades.

With a single-blade safety razor, the head design helps stretch the skin. However, you might find that when shaving ATG that stretching the skin with the opposite hand will enable a closer shave.

With a straight razor, stretching the skin is an important part of the shaving routine.

And as @Phoenixk says, stretching muscles as well as skin has its benefits. It might even help you reach those hard to shave spots.

I stretch and bullfrog for all my DE shaves. With my lined face, it is the only way to get a close shave.
I love the term "bullfrog"! Never thought of it like that!

Thanks for all of the advice and details - it sounds like I've been on the right track.

I actually do the opposite and try to relax the skin on my neck. I let the safety bar do the stretching. I’ve found if I tilt my head up and stretch that skin I’m more prone to irritation.

I am definitely in the ’stretch’ school!

Once upon a time I had no sags or wrinkles and my whiskers wore soft and pliable.

Now I have ‘old man’ wire that requires every advantage to achieve a good shave! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am definitely in the ’stretch’ school!

Once upon a time I had no sags or wrinkles and my whiskers wore soft and pliable.

Now I have ‘old man’ wire that requires every advantage to achieve a good shave! :thumbup1::thumbup1:
I have a bit of a turkey neck at almost 69 years of age.

Makes sense to stretch and I always did it without really giving it any thought. Seems like it would make for a closer shave and also make it less likely to nick.

Recently I not only have not been stretching, I've been "de-stretching" i.e. I'll tilt my chin down to shave jawline and on down the neck. Each stroke seems like a smoother, closer cut, and no nicks so far. Illogical, but works for me.

Makes sense to stretch and I always did it without really giving it any thought. Seems like it would make for a closer shave and also make it less likely to nick.

Recently I not only have not been stretching, I've been "de-stretching" i.e. I'll tilt my chin down to shave jawline and on down the neck. Each stroke seems like a smoother, closer cut, and no nicks so far. Illogical, but works for me.
Not illogical at all. I believe some call it "bullfrogging", and it works for many, including me...along with stretching.

Reactions: tm3
Top Bottom