What's new

To Stay in Retirement or Return to Work?

I “retired” after 18yrs as a Critical Care Paramedic and 2 years as an EMT prior to that. My wife finished all her school/training as a vascular surgeon, joined a practice, and now makes enough money that I don’t have to work. We have three small kids that take up my time but I really miss the people I worked with. The job itself was fulfilling but what I miss the most are the people I worked with. It’s hard to talk about EMS with people who have never done the job. I let all my certifications lapse because I didn’t have time for the continuing education required. I don’t think i’d ever be a paramedic again due to the paperwork involved but my plan is to recertify as a basic EMT and just drive the ambulance, that and tell my Paramedic partner why everything they’re doing is wrong 😄.

I don’t ever plan on going back full time but a part time would be ok. Any chance you can do your job on an “as needed” or part time basis?
Having kids at home is a full time job…even with teenagers.😄

Don't miss it a bit.
But, I have so many hobbies and things to keep me busy so I'm occupied all day.
I told myself that if I got to a point where I wasn't keeping busy (productively busy) that I would look into volunteering for a worthwhile cause, like Habitat for Humanity or another charity where my life skills could be put to advantage.
I have really enjoyed gardening and stalking birds with a camera. I can spend hours bird watching…not sure it’s productive but I find it’s very enjoyable.

The first six months, I spent a lot of time engaging in my hobbies which was great. Lately, I started seeing some of my hobbies as work, because the amount of effort and time needed.
Sometimes I feel that way about my hobbies. Maintaining some of them is real work. In the past week, I have been shooting, on my boat, ridden my motorcycle and am currently spending the weekend away from home in my TT. All of it takes a lot of time caring for the gear. A life of leisure is a lot of work....lol... In the middle of all that, I had to repair a truck and tractor.

Sometimes I feel that way about my hobbies. Maintaining some of them is real work. In the past week, I have been shooting, on my boat, ridden my motorcycle and am currently spending the weekend away from home in my TT. All of it takes a lot of time caring for the gear. A life of leisure is a lot of work....lol... In the middle of all that, I had to repair a truck and tractor.
Boats are especially time and money consuming. Three hours of prep before a saltwater fishing trip then another two once back home. 😂 The final insult is hitting the gas pumps. Shoulda just hit the fish market to save a trip and a bad sunburn.

When I retired, I was a recruiter for a medical college. We had moved out of the office & everyone was working from home. While I didn't miss the daily drive, I did miss colleagues in the office & the good coffee available in the office kitchen. Working from home was just like retirement except I still had to account for my time & activities. Plus I' saved a fortune on gas for the truck.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When I retired, I was a recruiter for a medical college. We had moved out of the office & everyone was working from home. While I didn't miss the daily drive, I did miss colleagues in the office & the good coffee available in the office kitchen. Working from home was just like retirement except I still had to account for my time & activities. Plus I' saved a fortune on gas for the truck.
This will fix your coffee situation

Would you come back to work if they promise to keep the coffee flowing? Congrats on your retirement.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Retired end of last year after 50 years and 4 month with the same company. For me the first 6 weeks or so were the hardest. Before I had daily calls and emails to attend, or colleagues calling from from all over the US, Canada and Mexico and asking for help. This was cut off overnight instantly. But now I am just fine with it and do not miss it. Have never been bored so far. Plan on staying busy, like doing my own lawn care (before I had someone doing it for me) and staying busy with the horse, and doing things around the house. Plan on get into fishing again, but had not time so far...
Having been home since March 2020 due to covid was an excellent preparation for the retirement!! Before I used to travel a lot; OK, maybe I miss this and interactions with customers and colleagues. But I meet with two younger colleagues monthly for lunch and we have a good time talking on what is going on in the company now....the typical gossip...
I think going into retirement was a very good decision for me (and a nice package did also make this very sweet), and I could not imagine going back to working again!!

As others have mentioned-if you don't need the money why not volunteer? It's harder to get someone to do something without pay than if you pay them. There would also be the angle of being busy without the possibility of taking a job away from someone who may need it. It doesn't even need to be a charity. If you like the beach/lake you could help clean up the debris left by less-than-considerate patrons. If you have some handyman skills you may be able to help less financially stable people with repairs. Big Brothers/Sisters look for people to partner with kids. Or, maybe you could go into business for yourself.

New York here. I am 60 now and I have been with my company for 21 years. I would retire tomorrow if I could, but I need to save up more money - I think when I am 65, I will be good to go. I have so many hobbies and things that I enjoy doing (besides shaving, but shaving, of course, is my favorite), that I am pretty sure I will not miss the day to day grind, which for me involves a lot of stress.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I retired after teaching for 38 years, but I taught part time (day and a half) for the next 6 years and I think that really helped with the transition.

There are lots of hours in the day to fill, and if you'd rather be back at work that's what you should do. If you can use your skills part time at a charity you might find that even more rewarding. I do miss band rehearsals quite a bit, but not enough to want to go back.

But you should do what makes you happy. If you're sure that's going back to work go ahead. If you're not sure, try to experiment a bit. Joy is where you find it, and you've got the absolute right to find it where your heart sends you.

I retired after teaching for 38 years, but I taught part time (day and a half) for the next 6 years and I think that really helped with the transition.

There are lots of hours in the day to fill, and if you'd rather be back at work that's what you should do. If you can use your skills part time at a charity you might find that even more rewarding. I do miss band rehearsals quite a bit, but not enough to want to go back.

But you should do what makes you happy. If you're sure that's going back to work go ahead. If you're not sure, try to experiment a bit. Joy is where you find it, and you've got the absolute right to find it where your heart sends you.
Part time may be the way forward. Funny, how even in retirement I keep a schedule and never sleep past sunrise. Old habits take awhile to die. Have a great day.

As others have mentioned-if you don't need the money why not volunteer? It's harder to get someone to do something without pay than if you pay them. There would also be the angle of being busy without the possibility of taking a job away from someone who may need it. It doesn't even need to be a charity. If you like the beach/lake you could help clean up the debris left by less-than-considerate patrons. If you have some handyman skills you may be able to help less financially stable people with repairs. Big Brothers/Sisters look for people to partner with kids. Or, maybe you could go into business for yourself.
Some of these volunteer orgs are worse than working. They want you to attend an 80 hour training program, commit to x number of hours per week, and work the hours they want filled. For all hassle, I’ll just go fishing and goof off.

Short answer: It depends.

One of my philosophies of life is that you should always have a plan. If you are going to make a major life decision like retiring, you should have a written plan of what you will do in retirement. If you can't come up with a plan, I would postpone. I would not enjoy sitting at home doing nothing knowing I was leaving that much money on the table.

I am a year from being eligible to retire with a pension but I don't have a plan. Luckily, I have 400 hours of PTO so I have time to take time off and see what I would do. Unfortunately, we are constantly under tight deadlines to get projects done so I can't take the time off. Retirement would simply be getting out of a bad situation.

In my 50s here in SoCal; IT and Quality Management for Pharma/Life Sciences (20+ years)

We are actively planning retirement relocation to Oahu which reallocates private school funding.
I will have to prep two Undergrads and plan for their weddings; after that all bets off.

I'm structuring the next level of my career which would involve independent consulting - work where and when I want to.
This will also fund our retirement travels and my fishing disorder(s) :001_cool:

Part time may be the way forward. Funny, how even in retirement I keep a schedule and never sleep past sunrise. Old habits take awhile to die. Have a great day.
I've been waking at 0530 since middle school. USMC made that concrete.
Sleeping in to me is 7am and that's rare

Last edited:
Top Bottom