What's new

To Stay in Retirement or Return to Work?

I retired 4 years ago. Many of my friends were at work. The calls and texts from them have faded to being almost non-existent.

Fortunately, I was active in a couple of clubs prior to retirement. I usually go to one or the other almost daily for socialization.

Staying busy all week in retirement really is hard work sometimes. Hobbies start morphing into work with everything that comes along with all the maintenance and upkeep. Several hobbies I really enjoyed before retirement, no longer interest me as much because I can do them anytime I want without fitting them into the schedule. Just checked my planner, I am open for the rest of the week.🤣😂

Well I did something; I started looking for new job opportunities. I’ve really enjoyed my early retirement but a large part of me is excited about returning to the workforce…for a few more years.

Retirement was short lived. I got tired of goofing off and hobbies started turning into work. Feels great being back in a professional career of my choosing this time around.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Work can provide meaning, challenge and social interaction. Without those things, there is a hole. Maybe there's other interests you could find a use for other than returning to what you used to do? Something part-time, so you can avoid the grind? Less of a "job", more of an "activity"?

This is kinda where I’m at. Been retired now going on two years. But I’m only 61 and am healthy enough to easily work another 10 years and sock away extra money into the savings account.

Spent 25 years in LE, but am not really interested in doing that if I return to the workforce. Problem is, I don’t have the slightest clue of what else I can do?

My wife thinks I would be a good substitute teacher at a high school or something, but I don’t think I’d have the patience for a bunch of bae bae kid’s at the public school system.

I really used to enjoy the commercials of the old Maytag repair guy who never had anything to do cuz Maytag’s were so reliable. Now that’s my ideal retirement job!

But seriously, I just don’t know what else I would be qualified in doing for other gainful employment?

...But seriously, I just don’t know what else I would be qualified in doing for other gainful employment?
Maybe part time teaching at a private school? Something related to security for a college or university? Running security for sporting events? Just throwing some things out there...

One of my favorite teachers in 10th-11th grade was around 80 years old (he taught Science classes). He still had a lot of energy and kept active.

I spent a lot of years in one profession but when I started looking for work it was in a different career field with a lot less in office hours. I also find teleworking great now; saves on gas, mileage, meals and clothing costs. I work in my sweats, blue jeans, or whatever from home.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My wife thinks I would be a good substitute teacher at a high school or something, but I don’t think I’d have the patience for a bunch of bae bae kid’s at the public school system.

I thought about that...for about a half second. No way. I didn't even like dealing with juvenile offenders.

But seriously, I just don’t know what else I would be qualified in doing for other gainful employment?

Just a thought.

OkieStubble

I thought about that...for about a half second. No way. I didn't even like dealing with juvenile offenders.

Just a thought.

Lol’d. you’re giving me too much credit. Bass master actually takes talent and my eyes are too blurry and my hand too shakie for shooting competition. I was thinking more in the lines of a used car salesman? :)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
1 year
11 months
15 days
5 hours

Away from being eligible to retire.
I will not work another job outside the house once I do decide to walk away.
I started in 1987 so it has changed tremendously.
I am looking forward to not having to wake at 3am to workout before work. I look forward to shopping, cooking, cleaning, and making sure my wife has her breakfast and lunch ready for work and an extra meal for her overtime shifts. She will need to work another 8 years after I retire.
God bless her!!

It will be really nice to know that I can walk away any day after that if they anger me enough.

I was fortunate enough to retire early in life (my mid-40's). My retirement project was having kids which brought me into my 60's and grayed my hair. ;) If a person retires and gets bored, volunteer work has some wonderful benefits. I do less now than I did but still serve in some capacity locally. I think retirement is hard for a lot of people who were defined by work/career. I never was so being in control of my life for the last 25 years has been a blessing to me.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
1 year
11 months
15 days
5 hours

Away from being eligible to retire.
I will not work another job outside the house once I do decide to walk away.
I started in 1987 so it has changed tremendously.
I am looking forward to not having to wake at 3am to workout before work. I look forward to shopping, cooking, cleaning, and making sure my wife has her breakfast and lunch ready for work and an extra meal for her overtime shifts. She will need to work another 8 years after I retire.
God bless her!!

It will be really nice to know that I can walk away any day after that if they anger me enough.

Since Rob cain't fish and cain't see to shoot anymore...I think you may have hit on something for him.

Or...if he cain't start any type of fire besides a propane burner...

But then...he could always be a school crossing guard. That could be good for everyone. Experience counts...undercover responder.

Officially I can retire next September when I will be 62, but so long as the company keeps paying me, I will stick at it. The next milestone is June 2024 when the lease on our apartment here is up for renewal. Maybe by then, things may have changed.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My wife retires exactly one year from tomorrow. I, on the other hand, work for myself, in a job that I love, so I may never retire. Why retire if I love what I do, and work on my own terms? Exactly. I have two businesses. One develops and supports interactive digital experiences for live events and museums. In essence I’m a software developer, a hardware engineer, and service department. That one travels me all over the world creating really cool things that make people smile. The other business designs, builds and sells guitar effects pedals. Again, a job that creates things that make people happy. For sure, I’ll start being much more selective about what jobs I take once wifey retires. But I won’t stop until I can’t physically or mentally do it any more. Even then I can still design and build guitar effects pedals.

I used to have a day job in the corporate world. I worked for a company. Then one day, I decided to exit that, and make my side hustle my priority. My only regret was that I didn’t do it sooner. I needed another side hustle, and the guitar effects pedal company was born. Maybe that will be come my main gig some day. Who knows.

I just know too many people that retired and got bored. Some of them went to work at typical retiree jobs like Home Depot, etc. Some of them just went fishing or followed their hobbies obsessively. Other withered away doing nothing. So I will just keep doing my thing at some level of volume that is agreeable to my semi-retirement schedule of travel and activity. And that should keep me happy. If it ever stops making me happy, stops being fun, stops being rewarding, i will stop doing it, and find something else.

Boring answer but maybe try the local unemployment office to see if they have something that is hard to fill (low pay, few hours) that may interest you. Another option could be going to a job placement service. They could "test" your aptitudes and go from there.

OkieStubble

Since Rob cain't fish and cain't see to shoot anymore...I think you may have hit on something for him.

Or...if he cain't start any type of fire besides a propane burner...

But then...he could always be a school crossing guard. That could be good for everyone. Experience counts...undercover responder.

I like all those ideas. Except the housework. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is kinda where I’m at. Been retired now going on two years. But I’m only 61 and am healthy enough to easily work another 10 years and sock away extra money into the savings account.

Spent 25 years in LE, but am not really interested in doing that if I return to the workforce. Problem is, I don’t have the slightest clue of what else I can do?

I really used to enjoy the commercials of the old Maytag repair guy who never had anything to do cuz Maytag’s were so reliable. Now that’s my ideal retirement job!

Maybe go into loss prevention. My sister made pretty good coin doing that. She lost money getting into LE, but that was what she really wanted to do.

OkieStubble

Maybe go into loss prevention. My sister made pretty good coin doing that. She lost money getting into LE, but that was what she really wanted to do.

Depending on who’s loss you are being paid to prevent, this field is fraught with personal liabilities.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I would not go back to full work. What I like to do is some consulting; have to wait until January then my non-compete clause is over and I can do it. Have been already contacted, but need to wait to 1/1/23...

Top Bottom