What's new

To Soak Or Not To Soak

I read somewhere that you should soak a boar brush with the water level a centimeter below the knot because it could effect the knot in a bad way. Would this apply to a badger knot as well? I want my brush to last as long as possible, hopefully my entire life so I want to make sure I'm treating it right.

I read somewhere that you should soak a boar brush with the water level a centimeter below the knot because it could effect the knot in a bad way. Would this apply to a badger knot as well? I want my brush to last as long as possible, hopefully my entire life so I want to make sure I'm treating it right.

I only soak the hair, not the handle/knot

proxy.php

It's my estimation (and I certainly don't know this for fact) that one of the reasons we soak brushes because dry hairs are brittle, and more prone to breaking off. If this is indeed the case, then not soaking the knot would defeat the whole point of soaking, since that's where the hair would break off.

Even if that's not the case, I would have to think the knot and glue are pretty impervious to water damage.

Interesting points on both sides. I'm anxious to read more about this as other members weigh in. I soak up to the knot but I never thought much about any danger in soaking the knot itself. What would the danger be?

It's my estimation (and I certainly don't know this for fact) that one of the reasons we soak brushes because dry hairs are brittle, and more prone to breaking off. If this is indeed the case, then not soaking the knot would defeat the whole point of soaking, since that's where the hair would break off.

Even if that's not the case, I would have to think the knot and glue are pretty impervious to water damage.

The water will travel up the hairs during the soak, I personally would only be cautious with wood handles (or other natural substance) due to their vulnerability to water damage...

Interesting points on both sides. I'm anxious to read more about this as other members weigh in. I soak up to the knot but I never thought much about any danger in soaking the knot itself. What would the danger be?

I don't really know to be honest with you. I can't remember where I read it. It was an article about boar brushes in particular. Made me curious about all brush types though.

I've been soaking mine with the handle partially submerged with no problems for the past two months. Of course, it's a cheap ten dollar brush with a plastic handle that I like from the pharmacy.

The water will travel up the hairs during the soak, I personally would only be cautious with wood handles (or other natural substance) due to their vulnerability to water damage...

Will water soak up the hairs with a badger brush? I know boar will absorb water. I was under the impression that badger trapped water between the hairs but did not absorb water.

The capillary action would bring water to the knot anyway. So would mushing the brush against your face. I would be more concerned with a wooden handled brush retaining water than the glue or epoxy of the knot.

Interesting. I wouldn't think it would absorb a tremendous amount of water during a soak of a short duration but who knows. I think I'd have more concerns if I used the same wooden handled brush every day. Right now I'm using four brushes so none are used without at least three days of drying prior.

The issue is not the hair, it is the glue and the handle material.
The hair will wick the water up into the knot and soften.

Now, on modern brushes with acrylic handles, there is no issue. The glues are epoxy based, rather than the hide glues used in decades past. Epoxy's enemy is heat... any water than is safe to run over the back of your hand will not hurt the glue.
Acrylic handles, likewise, are not a problem.

Wooden, bone, horn? You do not want to soak those.

I never thought much about it. I have a couple plastic and resin handle brushes, and I usually just throw the whole brush in the bowl. Haven't had a problem yet.

I soak both my boars and my badger brushes while I shower. For the boars, it is essential. For the badgers, it is just my OC behavior. I try not to have the water up to the handle and just soak the bristles or hair. I have been known to screw that up if I'm not fully awake and so far, after a couple of years, there has been no damage to any brush handle.
I have found that getting the whole brush hydrated to start has made a positive difference in lathering for all brush types. As always, experiment and stick with what works best for you.

If I'm not mistaken, and I don't think I am.....aren't shave brushes meant to get wet?? I've always lathered with a brush wetted (soaked) with water. I don't keep them immersed in water, but I've always soaked/wetted the brush before use to lather and then after use when rinsing it off. I just thought these brushes were intended for these intermittent wet conditions. :confused1

Top Bottom