What's new

To shave or not to shave today? That is the question.

Good morning all!

I can’t make up my mind whether or not to shave today. It’s been 2 days since my last shave and although the stubble is starting to grow back slightly, it doesn’t feel that dense if you see what I mean.

How long is the ideal waiting time between shaves? A highly subjective question I know but I’m just curious in other’s opinions.

Jason.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
For me, every day, though I have been slipping a bit.

For everyone else, that's an imponderable question. Too many variables: Job; skin tone; beard density; significant other; skin condition, etc.

It's really a question only you can answer. Some guys like the satisfaction of mowing down two-day's growth; others would gladly shave twice a day.

Best answer I can give is to shave as often as you like, be it once a day or once a week. And be sure to enjoy it. That's the whole point of B&B.

For me, every day, though I have been slipping a bit.

For everyone else, that's an imponderable question. Too many variables: Job; skin tone; beard density; significant other; skin condition, etc.

It's really a question only you can answer. Some guys like the satisfaction of mowing down two-day's growth; others would gladly shave twice a day.

Best answer I can give is to shave as often as you like, be it once a day or once a week. And be sure to enjoy it. That's the whole point of B&B.
Thanks for your reply. I have decided to wait until tomorrow as my 39c works brilliantly on denser hair. Obviously the verdict will be posted as well.

Jason.

Maybe use a mild razor and blade combination and a single WTG pass. I love shaving and wish I could do it more often - I am often tempted to take the blade out, lather up, and go for it. I have not done it yet but I would not rule it out.
My wife won’t let me do a ‘fake shave’ without the blade in case I accidentally forget to put the blade back. She doesn’t want blades loose in the house. I have also tried doing a single W pass shave but my beard is much too rough and hard to look neat afterwards. Never mind as the saying goes ‘the best things come to those who wait!’

Jason.

Maybe use a mild razor and blade combination and a single WTG pass. I love shaving and wish I could do it more often - I am often tempted to take the blade out, lather up, and go for it. I have not done it yet but I would not rule it out.
I’ve also considered skipping the ATG pass so I’d need to shave more regularly. Right now, I’m usually at 36 hours before my stubble is long enough to be worth it. I’m guessing without the ATG pass, it’d be more like 12-24.

I try to shave everyday and can get away with it with a straight razor / aggressive DE for the most part but shaving a few days growth is just so satisfying haha. Everyone’s beard is different. Mine grows fast and is like a wire brush. I rarely shoot for BBS but when I do my 5 o’clock shadow still likes to show up.

I like the ritual each morning. I am not sure if me skin have become tougher or my routine have improved. Most of my shaves are with a SR, which is more skin friendly then any DE razor for me. With only one day growth i usually skip the with the grain pass and do 2 passes with a third pick up pass.
So in my opinion, if your skin can hadle it, go for it:)

linty1

My wallet cries.
There's obviously no rule, for me, I'm lucky that I work in profession that has no rules governing facial hair, so it's "when I feel it's time", which usually is around 2 days. Sometimes I don't feel like it and it turns into a week +.

I have always shaved at least 5 times a week, even when working labour jobs when I was young. I believe appearance and how you carry yourself matters. Good grooming along with appropriate, clean, well fitting clothing matters. It shows respect for yourself as well as respect for those you deal with which leads to more opportunities both professionally and personally.

I‘m usually set up the day before, but this morning I’m still laying around without a clue as to what I want to use. I can’t seem to focus. I’m torn between experimenting with unknown vintage blades or using up the ones I already have started, which brings me to another dilemma,…SE or De?…Lather? … brush?…etc.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Many things to consider. Do you have a significant other? My son is an every other day shaver and it is, to say the least, unpleasant to get stabbed when you're planting a kiss on the cheek. My wife is the love of my life, and she deserves better. On top of that, I'd really like to encourage her to kiss me often.

Brad Pitt might look sexy with 5 O'clock shadow, but I just look like an old guy who didn't bother shaving.

Without relaying the whole story again, my grandfather was an auto mechanic around the time of the depression and walked to the garage every day in a suit and tie. He changed into his coveralls at the garage, and at the end of the day he showered and put the suit back on for his walk home. He eventually became the chairman of the board of tax assessors. My father was my grandfather's son in more than just name. He shaved every day.

I carry their name. I shave every day for a multitude of reasons: I think I look like a bum when I don't shave, I don't want my wife to suffer, I don't enjoy the feel of face scruff, and I don't want to embarrass the memory of my father and grandfather.

But that's my story. Like everything here, YMMV. I don't cast aspersions on people who choose not to follow my excellent example (I just think them, like everyone else). :w00t:

In my opinion shaving before you need to only invites trouble - irritation, rash, nicks etc. Surely you know best how your razors and blades work with various levels of growth. If in doubt, wait. Tomorrow's shave will be all the more rewarding.

Interestingly this brings up the topic of growth rate. I would think that should be something everyone should know or at least be aware of. My cycle seems to be 36 hrs, though I've recently been waiting two days between shaves. That seems to work best for my set up. I've tried shaving sooner and even tried for daily shaving but could never really find a razor/blade combination that would allow me to settle into it. I've found that close stubble is harder to remove than longer. With short stubble a more efficient razor and blade just caused irritation and using a milder razor led me to over do it trying to achieve my desired results. Add another day or so of growth and I get an optimum shave out of my more aggressive, preferred razor. I'm content with that.

I‘m usually set up the day before, but this morning I’m still laying around without a clue as to what I want to use. I can’t seem to focus. I’m torn between experimenting with unknown vintage blades or using up the ones I already have started, which brings me to another dilemma,…SE or De?…Lather? … brush?…etc.

Sucks to be you with all those decisions to make!

[edit: Please don't take this as snarky. I can fully commiserate. Really I can.]

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies. My job doesn't always require me to be clean-shaven, plus my wife also likes it when my beard grows back as she likes the 'rough and rugged' look with it. However I am always clean-shaven if I need to look my best.

My beard hair is rather thick now so I am very interested in seeing how my Sledgehammer handles it! I have made up what cream/blade combo I am using tomorrow!

Jason.

Top Bottom