What's new

To shave myself or not to?

Shave myself or not?

• Find a barber for a SR shave

• Shave myself DE style

Results are only viewable after voting.
So my wedding is 2 weeks from today and I can't decide whether to get a straight razor shave or do it myself DE style. On one hand I know I can get a pretty good shave on my own, on the other hand she's paying to get her hair and makeup done so I can get pampered a little too.

So I bring the gauntlet in my mind to you B&B which should I do?

Also, Imperial Shave is not currently giving shaves which is a shame because I'm getting married only minutes from their shop. IF you suggest a straight razor shave and know anyone in the area, I'd love to hear from you, thanks! (currently I'm thinking of going to the barbershop I got my first and only straight razor shave from a barber when I went to prom in high school in Wickliffe Ohio, JP's)

I'm going with shave ya self. That way any problems on the day you can only blame your self. Good luck with the wedding. On my wedding dayhalf way through the vows I noticed my mother had gone. Ten mins later we found her in the ladies WC. HAd to start again. :blink:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have heard too many horror stories about a barbershop shave to risk it on your wedding day.

Find somebody who can give you a SR shave - get a test shave now to make sure you are comfortable with them - enjoy the SR shave prior to your wedding and have one less thing to worry about.

Congratulations! :thumbup:

I also vote for shave yourself. You want to have the closest most comfortable shave you can. I have gone for a barber shop shave twice and while I really enjoyed the whole experience both times neither were performance wise as good as I can do myself. There was also some discomfort later in both barber shaves, which I attribute to the barber not being familiar with my face and skin. You don't want to be standing at the altar with a red and/or burning face. :)

Go for a barber shave with your best man/brother(s)/father/father in law this weekend or just prior to the wedding as a nice treat.

I have no personal experience with a barber shave, but there have been many gents who have gone for a straight shave and come out with loads of irritation and not a great shave.
I would only get one on your wedding day if you have a place where you have gone before and received good results. Or if you know someone who has.

The straight shave is becomming a lost art and most Barbers are not so good.

I also vote for shave yourself. You want to have the closest most comfortable shave you can. I have gone for a barber shop shave twice and while I really enjoyed the whole experience both times neither were performance wise as good as I can do myself. There was also some discomfort later in both barber shaves, which I attribute to the barber not being familiar with my face and skin. You don't want to be standing at the altar with a red and/or burning face. :)

Go for a barber shave with your best man/brother(s)/father/father in law this weekend or just prior to the wedding as a nice treat.

Now that's an idea.

No suggestions of "straight razor shave yourself" as I am learning, but am not even close to thinking it's a good idea for the wedding.

I'd say shave on your own. You know your own growth patterns better than anybody else.

I've only had one straight razor shave from an old-school barbershop in Indianapolis. While I believe the barber was competent, and I really enjoyed the process, the end result wasn't as BBS as I had for the price I paid for it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Get a SR shave! I never have and want to tho. And the wedding is the perfect excuse I can't imagine anything going wrong, at least nothing Alum or a styptic pen won't fix. I found a place for you that's been in business for 43 yrs (according to manta.com) so if anyone should be able to do a SR shave I'd think they would. Other wise I'd call around to the barbershops and ask.

Commodore Barber Shop
103 W 5th Street
Perrysburg, OH 43551

for some reason it didn't provide a phone number...?

Shave yourself with a tried and true setup that will leave you looking and feeling great on the big day.

Maybe pamper yourself with a barber shave on your honeymoon or request it for a birthday or holiday present.

I would not risk a bad shave or cut before a big day. This is especially true since you will have pictures to remind you of the day. Last thing you want is a large slice on your cheek from a barber that hasn't done a straight razor shave in a few months.

Shave yourself, you can pamper yourself by using the money instead to get maybe a more expensive cream/soap/AS/cologne for the occasion... or even a brush or some other luxury item (which is nicer, since the item will remind you of your wedding day each time you see/use it).

If you are getting good results at home and haven't been to the barber for a shave lately, I suggest you get a few barbershop shaves in the next two weeks and decide a few days out which of you can do a better job.

If you have good technique, then do it yourself. If you know of an excellent barber, then go for it. Enjoy your special day!

Get a SR shave! I never have and want to tho. And the wedding is the perfect excuse I can't imagine anything going wrong, at least nothing Alum or a styptic pen won't fix. I found a place for you that's been in business for 43 yrs (according to manta.com) so if anyone should be able to do a SR shave I'd think they would. Other wise I'd call around to the barbershops and ask.

Commodore Barber Shop
103 W 5th Street
Perrysburg, OH 43551

for some reason it didn't provide a phone number...?

Well where I'm getting married isn't very close to where I live, (2 hours) but I did call these guys to see if they do SR shaves for whenever and they do not. but thanks.

It does sound like a better idea to shave myself rather than getting a barber to do so, I sure wish Imperial Shaving doesn't had their shop open

Your wedding day is all about comfort, don't compromise it.

Use this opportunity to buy some stuff you otherwise would not dream of (or could not justify) and treat yourself with an awesome shave.

Your wedding day is all about comfort, don't compromise it.

Use this opportunity to buy some stuff you otherwise would not dream of (or could not justify) and treat yourself with an awesome shave.

Anyone want to sell me some MdC? :001_wub:

It seems the consensus is that I should forget about the barber shop for right now and I get that, now my focus will be on what products to use!

Last edited:
Top Bottom