What's new

To Saponificio Varesino: "Your Majesty, please accept my apologies"

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Just a quick heads-up: Saponificio Varesino has just released Cosmo in Beta 4.3 formula. It's a 2021 Special Edition in metal tin. :gunsmilie:

20211108_150703.jpg

For those in the States, how good of a value is a 150g/5.3oz puck of SV at $37 purely in number of shaves per dollar spent when compared to a top artisan soap like Lothur v2, A&E K2/K2e, B&M Omnibus, WK Siero, etc at their normal prices of $20-$24 for 4 ounces?

YMMV, but for me the SV is less expensive per shave than the softer soaps. I use 1.5 - 2 times as much soft soap as I do with a hard soap. By that math, plus the SV starting with more, the SV costs about the same or less per use, depending on the cost of the soap you choose.

I will note that I have not actually used any of the other soaps that you have mentioned, but I have used a number of other soaps that are likely similar in consistency.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I don’t know the answer based on personal experience with North American artisan soaps, but if a $24/4oz artisan soap were 5.3 oz, the price would be about $31, a difference of $6.

Artisan soaps are croaps or even softer, SV is triple milled hard soap. I agree with @Chumango - SV is going to be cheaper to use by a good bit.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm late to the party, but I recently purchased a Cosmo Beta 4.2. Any advice on how to lather it? I've read @Marco and @JCinPA's lather methods. Is there anything else I need to know?
Sir, in my opinion John's @JCinPA method is the best option with any SV soap.

Also, I get the finest lather with my synthetic brushes, which are basically all I use nowadays. The combo Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic with any SV Beta 4.3 soap is particularly enjoyable.

Sir, in my opinion John's @JCinPA method is the best option with any SV soap.

Also, I get the finest lather with my synthetic brushes, which are basically all I use nowadays. The combo Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic with any SV Beta 4.3 soap is particularly enjoyable.
Hi Marco! By any chance, would you know if SV can be lathered successfully with a Semogue finest badger? My preferred brush is the Semogue Owner's Club in finest badger. I've used it to build great lathers with hard soap pucks (including Tabac and triple-milled TOBS). Do you think it will be sufficient for building a lather with SV?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Marco! By any chance, would you know if SV can be lathered successfully with a Semogue finest badger? My preferred brush is the Semogue Owner's Club in finest badger. I've used it to build great lathers with hard soap pucks (including Tabac and triple-milled TOBS). Do you think it will be sufficient for building a lather with SV?

Thanks for your help!
You didn't ask me, but this is not a PM so...

My Semogue Silvertip is still my favourite brush to use with SV! The Finest should be similar to the 2 band brushes that I have and use with SV as well. This is one soap that I prefer my larger brushes as it takes so little soap to produce so much lather. I don't sweat a little waste being left in the brush like I do with US Artisan soaps. There is no trouble picking up soap with any brush chosen and even though synthetic might be faster, I prefer the methodical approach of adding water a little at a time with badger. The face feel can only be described as luxurious with this combination.

You didn't ask me, but this is not a PM so...

My Semogue Silvertip is still my favourite brush to use with SV! The Finest should be similar to the 2 band brushes that I have and use with SV as well. This is one soap that I prefer my larger brushes as it takes so little soap to produce so much lather. I don't sweat a little waste being left in the brush like I do with US Artisan soaps. There is no trouble picking up soap with any brush chosen and even though synthetic might be faster, I prefer the methodical approach of adding water a little at a time with badger. The face feel can only be described as luxurious with this combination.
@APBinNCA, thank you for your post! Not only was it most welcome, but it helped relieve some anxiety I had about using SV with my SOC to build a lather. 🙂

Thanks for your help!

Ok I’ll start by saying I’m not Marco but I lather my SV soaps predominantly with a Silvertip badger with no problems. For a real super lather I rub the puck over my wet face, like a shave stick, before loading the damp Silvertip brush lightly.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Thanks for your help!
Sir, as long as you know what you are doing, you'll be fine. Use your preferred brush and enjoy the whole experience!

Ok I’ll start by saying I’m not Marco but I lather my SV soaps predominantly with a Silvertip badger with no problems. For a real super lather I rub the puck over my wet face, like a shave stick, before loading the damp Silvertip brush lightly.
Thanks! I appreciate the advice! 🙂

Sir, as long as you know what you are doing, you'll be fine. Use your preferred brush and enjoy the whole experience!
@Marco, that assumes I ever know what I'm doing! 😁

Seriously, though, thank you for your words of support and advice. I truly appreciate your wisdom and your willingness to help others. Grazie mille, Signore!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Marco, that assumes I ever know what I'm doing! 😁

Seriously, though, thank you for your words of support and advice. I truly appreciate your wisdom and your willingness to help others. Grazie mille, Signore!
Sir, I wholeheartedly appreciate your kindness and Gentlemanly manners. In the true spirit of Badger & Blade. Thank you so very much, dear friend.

I'm sure Dave @FarmerTan would desire to add something special, as he always does.

Top Bottom