What's new

To Saponificio Varesino: "Your Majesty, please accept my apologies"

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Up until now my judgement on Saponificio Varesino was just tepid, not warm. Up until now my lathers with SV were just good, not great. Up until now I was just wrong. And this because my lathering technique with this exceptional soap was not correct. Yes, you heard it right: so far my lathering method was a mistake. The Italian Master Barbers' Technique, here improperly known as "Marco (My) Method", with its wet brush approach, simply downgrades the unique qualities of this exceptional soap, not allowing it to fully deliver its true potential.
A few days ago, after many just good results, I wanted to make another attempt. However, in this occasion I tried something new and tested the "Foolproof Lather Method" recently taught us by my dear friend John @JCinPA . BOOM! What an incredible improvement! I am rarely amazed, but this time I was completely impressed! With the FLM the lather gets the thickness of La Toja, has the slickness of Cella and ensures the post shave feel of Mitchell's Wool Fat. The reason? Well, it's quite simple: Saponificio Varesino does require only little water, and John's technique is exactly based on a lightly damp brush (still combined with a heavy loading process).
My final opinion on SV has enormously changed and in the most positive way possible.
It's superb all around, it's superior to anything else, it's in a class of its own.
Saponificio Varesino, please accept my apologies. You are the King of Soaps and the Soap of Kings.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Wow! When Professor Soap speaks, I take detailed notes! I'm going to have to give this a try, for sure, now.

P.S. Glad my posting helped. I still say it is not a "method" per se, the way I see it is practically all soaps lather the same way. Using the Marco Method with Cella still gets you to the proper amount of soap and water for excellent lather. But the range between thirsty soaps and those that do not need much water is wide. All my process does is ensure you come in under the proper hydration level and work up to it slowly. But I'm glad to have helped in some small way. Most problems are simply getting too far over one's skis on the hydration level in the first place. When that happens, just go back to start dry, lots of product, and add water slowly.

I also note that @ylekot actually dialed in Barrister & Mann much faster than I did using this process. Much to my chagrin. :)

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
OK, watched a few YooToobz. To my U.S. brothers, talk scents? Where to get it? I better get this in before the end of the month, so I can do the GRUME October.

I know, that's a little like saying "I'm going on the wagon next week, so I'm going on a real bender this weekend!" But hey. Thanks, in advance.

I am now inspired to revisit my Pre de Provence soap using the FLM. This is not the first or second time revisiting this soap. This is a soap that many people rave about but my lather has always been thin. I always chalked it up to YMMV but maybe I am to quick to label something that doesn't work for you as YMMV. If I still get thin lather I can always use Barbersol.

OK, watched a few YooToobz. To my U.S. brothers, talk scents? Where to get it? I better get this in before the end of the month, so I can do the GRUME October.

I know, that's a little like saying "I'm going on the wagon next week, so I'm going on a real bender this weekend!" But hey. Thanks, in advance.

I don't think you can go wrong with Felce Aromatica if you're looking for a safe bet in terms of SV's scent offerings. It's very pleasant and just 'classy' for lack of a better word. I have Desert Vetiver too, but I'll caution that it may be more of a polarizing scent (it's grown on me, but I didn't like it at first). Can't speak to the rest as I haven't tried them.

Up until now my judgement on Saponificio Varesino was just tepid, not warm. Up until now my lathers with SV were just good, not great. Up until now I was just wrong. And this because my lathering technique with this exceptional soap was not correct. Yes, you heard it right: so far my lathering method was a mistake. The Italian Master Barbers' Technique, here improperly known as "Marco (My) Method", with its wet brush approach, simply downgrades the unique qualities of this exceptional soap, not allowing it to fully deliver its true potential.
A few days ago, after many just good results, I wanted to make another attempt. However, in this occasion I tried something new and tested the "Foolproof Lather Method" recently taught us by my dear friend John @JCinPA . BOOM! What an incredible improvement! I am rarely amazed, but this time I was completely impressed! With the FLM the lather gets the thickness of La Toja, has the slickness of Cella and ensures the post shave feel of Mitchell's Wool Fat. The reason? Well, it's quite simple: Saponificio Varesino does require only little water, and John's technique is exactly based on a lightly damp brush (still combined with a heavy loading process).
My final opinion on SV has enormously changed and in the most positive way possible.
It's superb all around, it's superior to anything else, it's in a class of its own.
Saponificio Varesino, please accept my apologies. You are the King of Soaps and the Soap of Kings.

I agree Saponificio Varesino is remarkably good, almost in a class by itself. It is bar none my go to soap when I don't want to take chances with a shave.

People seem to talk a lot more about some of the US artisan soaps out there, but I don't think I've encountered any that quite live up to SV. If I had to pick one that comes close though (maybe to put on your list of next soaps to try?), I'd nominate Sudsy Soapery, specifically one of their 'Supercreamed' offerings.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
You know that SV includes direction on how to make lather with their soap.
Works every time for me, some of the best lather from any soap.

used SV 70th this am.

My method is to drip a thin coating of warm water from the brush to "bloom" the puck while I shower,
and leave my Semogue boar soaking in a mug of warm water as well.

When ready to make lather,
I simply shake-out the brush so it is still wet, but not dripping. ("wet/damp" if you will)
and load the brush directly from the container.
(this also leaves the soap puck fairly dry, once the bloom water is picked-up by the brush, so better for storing...)

Then add a tbs or so of warm water to my lathering bowl,
and build-up a nice lather there. Add water incrementally, if needed.

Works like a charm, every time.

I'm glad you changed your mind, I got one puck of Dolomiti in 4.0version couple of weeks aho and I reallylike the performance.

Interestingly I have been using FLM for years and didn't even know it. I always felt it is easier to add water than take it out :p

CONGRATULATIONS!!
I have a feeling I'm going to sleep outside because of you!
@Marco, please go back to the cheap soaps, like La Toja, Musgo, Mogno, PdP # 63 even an LEA hard puck, Cella, Vitos, Tabac stick.
In Romania, Bulgaria and other countries, salaries are slightly lower than in the US and Canada. Do you want me to take a beating from my wife? In Romania, SV has exaggerated prices, it is close to $ 35-40, I don't think it's worth this money. We have much cheaper alternatives. Yes SV is good but too expensive in my opinion.

CONGRATULATIONS!!
I have a feeling I'm going to sleep outside because of you!
@Marco, please go back to the cheap soaps, like La Toja, Musgo, Mogno, PdP # 63 even an LEA hard puck, Cella, Vitos, Tabac stick.
In Romania, Bulgaria and other countries, salaries are slightly lower than in the US and Canada. Do you want to beat my wife? In Romania, SV has exaggerated prices, it is close to $ 35-40, I don't think it's worth this money. We have much cheaper alternatives. Yes SV is good but too expensive in my opinion.
More expensive soaps tend to last a while and when you calculate cost per shave they can sometimes beat cheaper ones. Give it a try and see for yourself. And yes I am an enabler

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

SV is one of my Big Dog Soaps. Top Tier all the way. :thumbup:

I use the Modified @Marco Method with SV soaps and get lather with top tier structure, slickness, protection and face feel.

Great soap. :)

. The Italian Master Barbers' Technique, here improperly known as "Marco (My) Method", with its wet brush approach, simply downgrades the unique qualities of this exceptional soap, not allowing it to fully deliver its true potential.
A few days ago, after many just good results, I wanted to make another attempt. However, in this occasion I tried something new and tested the "Foolproof Lather Method" recently taught us by my dear friend John @JCinPA . BOOM! What an incredible improvement! I am rarely amazed, but this time I was completely impressed!

Ciao Marco,
I had an a-ha moment myself after changing my beloved boar brush with a 26mm synthetic...Face lathering was not working anymore with my Proraso Green, Speick or Häslinger...where did all go wrong? Well, to make it short, I tried to use a recycled bowl and

💥
a thick lather after adding few drops of water and a great scent all around me.
So, I guess that face lathering works, but not all the times and not with all brushes as well.
..and I know: this is the greatest discovery after hot water.😂

Have a great lather.
Lostrazor

I am now inspired to revisit my Pre de Provence soap using the FLM.
I did just that two days ago and have been looking for somewhere to mention it. For me, Pre goes through an initial unstable foamy phase and requires several water additions and more time than I would like. But, I now think it is worth it. Especially for the price. This is compared with SV, which is my main soap.

Top Bottom