What's new

To Saponificio Varesino: "Your Majesty, please accept my apologies"

Hi Marco! By any chance, would you know if SV can be lathered successfully with a Semogue finest badger? My preferred brush is the Semogue Owner's Club in finest badger. I've used it to build great lathers with hard soap pucks (including Tabac and triple-milled TOBS). Do you think it will be sufficient for building a lather with SV?

Thanks for your help!

My fav brush and fav soap and razor and blade at this point :)

View attachment 1474839
I have not personally used the beta 4.2 soaps, I’ve used the 4.1 70th anniversary, tundra artica and dolomiti, and the beta 4.3 felce Aromatica and desert vetiver. I use two band badgers (not semogue) and synthetics. I will just reiterate that I think your brush will do fine, especially if the gent I quoted is using the same brush you are with a 4.1 soap. I use my synths with the 4.1 soaps as I get a bit too much water in them with my badgers. The 4.2 should lather more easily than the 4.1, which are still excellent shave soaps. Enjoy your shaves!

I have not personally used the beta 4.2 soaps, I’ve used the 4.1 70th anniversary, tundra artica and dolomiti, and the beta 4.3 felce Aromatica and desert vetiver. I use two band badgers (not semogue) and synthetics. I will just reiterate that I think your brush will do fine, especially if the gent I quoted is using the same brush you are with a 4.1 soap. I use my synths with the 4.1 soaps as I get a bit too much water in them with my badgers. The 4.2 should lather more easily than the 4.1, which are still excellent shave soaps. Enjoy your shaves!

Yup also kinda why I posted that pic was that other post :)

Yeah looking forward to the 4.3 to test Will get the Opunita
for sure the brush is doing well with it
I do find some soaps maybe its the insane hard water I have here prefer the synthetics but those soaps also are behind the SV so oh well :) hahahaha

i was talking with marco earlier about sv soaps and he said to check outt this thread. i tried adding less water to the mix, but i think i may have slightly under hydtrated my lather for todays shave, it didnt feel very slick and the straight i was using didnt have the glide it normally does. going to try again for tomorrows shave and and just a touch more water. ive been face lathering and dipping the tips into the wwater to get more hydration into my lathers. still playing around with 4.3. seem to have a better shave with 4.1 but that might just be my lathering technique. thanks for mentioning this thread marco. much apreciated.

Ordered the Morado recently got the soap the AS and the bar of soap kit also the sample pack of AS they have so I know more what I might like :) hoping I like Morado but hey sure I will
took a while for them to get it shipped out as I have heard it can :)

signed up for their Bday thing they have on their site which is a code for some of their bar soap :) reckon once this sample pack gets in see what I think of the 4.3 and most likely order some more and get the Bday soap to try

signed up for their Bday thing they have on their site which is a code for some of their bar soap :) reckon once this sample pack gets in see what I think of the 4.3 and most likely order some more and get the Bday soap to try
Hopefully you created an account because the points add up quickly! If not, you might be able to get them to add recent orders once you do. They have been very responsive to emails. I just wish it didn't take 10 days to get anything. :w00t:

Hopefully you created an account because the points add up quickly! If not, you might be able to get them to add recent orders once you do. They have been very responsive to emails. I just wish it didn't take 10 days to get anything. :w00t:
Thanks and Yes did do that first :) also got some bday bonus points :)

hahahah yeah on the 10 days seems that is just to get out there door :) at least I read that going in so knew just to sit back

live on mainland now but island life is what I know the most and yeah to me its like island time

Morado arrived :)
(that is hand/body soap in the box)
F9351A12-879A-4D6C-B6BA-25E618671648.jpeg

Wrote a long winded bad grammar first thoughts here and will update in that thread after some use :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't have any SV soaps, but I can tell you.... they make the best brushes I've ever used. They are expensive, true, but I have 4 of them now and I don't regret any of them. They are wonderful. I guess a premiere soap maker knows what badger brush should feel like. They are the ones on both ends.... two and two. Not the best photo. I don't have a light box. The two on the left are Cocobolo, golden and pewter crowns. The two on the right are the Faux Turtle Shell (golden crown) and the Bog Oak (fully broken in).

All the BadgersResize.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have any SV soaps, but I can tell you.... they make the best brushes I've ever used. They are expensive, true, but I have 4 of them now and I don't regret any of them. They are wonderful. I guess a premiere soap maker knows what badger brush should feel like. They are the ones on both ends.... two and two. Not the best photo. I don't have a light box. The two on the left are Cocobolo, golden and pewter crowns. The two on the right are the Faux Turtle Shell (golden crown) and the Bog Oak (fully broken in).

View attachment 1498060
:a47:
(speechless)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
:a47:
(speechless)
My brush collection is now complete... until or unless something special comes along... one of those group buys that pop ever now and then. The last one showed up today. That FB Alpha Shaving Company group buy. I selected Steve's G5"D". I'll try it tomorrow and post the results on the synth threads running at the moment. It's remarkable dry. We'll see what it feels like when lathered up.

View attachment 1498060
Yeah I am going to get one of the brushes to try for sure :)
I love the looks and have read so much on folks loving them from other posts
performance and looks :)

I had a %20 off code and should have gotten one but reckon I can get some % off somehow in the near future for one :) as they are a bit more $ but either way yeah its on my very short brush list

I already know it will be the turtle color one with the pewter(silver) band :)

View attachment 1498060

With that many SV brushes, it seems wrong to not have at least one of their soaps, too. Better get on that... :001_smile

Today I just ordered a spare Dolomiti 4.0 since it's my favorite and is getting harder to find now that the 4.3 version has been out for a while.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
With that many SV brushes, it seems wrong to not have at least one of their soaps, too. Better get on that... :001_smile

Today I just ordered a spare Dolomiti 4.0 since it's my favorite and is getting harder to find now that the 4.3 version has been out for a while.
My face reacts to strong scented soaps. Does SV make a very lightly scented soap? I'd love to try one of them but have been afraid I'd break out or my skin would burn. As Aaron @APBinNCA knows, I had a pretty severe reaction to the B&M soap I got a couple months ago. It took about three weeks to heal up completely.

My face reacts to strong scented soaps. Does SV make a very lightly scented soap? I'd love to try one of them but have been afraid I'd break out or my skin would burn. As Aaron @APBinNCA knows, I had a pretty severe reaction to the B&M soap I got a couple months ago. It took about three weeks to heal up completely.
You'll want to avoid Desert Vetiver and Manna, as those are quite strong. To me, Cosmo and Felice are lightly scented.

There are a few threads here that have descriptions of the various scents. You might want to search headings for Saponificio or SV.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You'll want to avoid Desert Vetiver and Manna, as those are quite strong. To me, Cosmo and Felice are lightly scented.

There are a few threads here that have descriptions of the various scents. You might want to search headings for Saponificio or SV.
I'm actually fine with the soaps and creams. I have 4 in rotation now...all either lightly scented or unscented. In addition, I have 4 others standing by. My skin has been responding to the plan my dermatologist gave me, so I'll work those soaps into my rotation and hope I don't have to deep 6 any of them. I'm sure someone here will be able to put them to good use if they mess up my skin.

The only reason SV comes up is because I just love their shaving brushes.

I see why you're hesitant to try one of their soaps.

I've not tried them all, but out of the ones I've tried (Dolomiti 4.0 & 4.3, Cosmo, Cubebe, Opuntia, & Stella Alpina), Dolomiti 4.0 is probably the least scented and the most natural/earthy scent, which his why it's my favorite. It definitely does have a scent, but to me, it just comes across as less man-made than the others. Dolomiti 4.3 has a stronger (and different) scent than the 4.0 and it's quite nice, but doesn't seem as natural as the 4.0 version. The only place I've found that still has Dolomiti 4.0 in stock is The Razor Company.

If you decide to try one, I'd stay away from Cosmo and Opuntia since they're both quite strong in the scent department.

BTW, I know others feel different, but I've never detected any meaningful differences in the lather quality between the different Beta versions (e.g. 4.0 vs 4.3).

Funny how we can all have different thoughts not the same product. I have Cosmo and think the scent is pretty strong, although I've never tried Desert Vetiver and Manna, so perhaps it is lightly scent compared to those two.

Last edited:
Top Bottom