What's new

To Saponificio Varesino: "Your Majesty, please accept my apologies"

OK, watched a few YooToobz. To my U.S. brothers, talk scents? Where to get it? I better get this in before the end of the month, so I can do the GRUME October.
You can order direct from the US site or I order from Pasteurs. I am voting for trying out the complete new set of Tundra

Ιndeed, SV doesn't require tons of water like some of the American artisan soaps. Sometimes even the bloomed water is enough to provide the water needed. I am glad you found a way that works, in fact I was quite surprised when I first saw that you didn't find the properties of the soap to be good. I guess welcome to the club? :thumbup1:

They require different methods to get the best lathers and switching from soap to soap doesn’t help to get to know each soap well or remember what works best.
I've taken to (sometimes, when I remember) marking the bottom of tubs with a note or label if there's something that might be different than my usual thoughtless routine. Mostly loading time as I tend to load for 30s with a typical brush but some soaps need much less than that and some more. Likewise it reminds me to scale up for a Chubby or particularly dense brush.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
You know that SV includes direction on how to make lather with their soap.
Works every time for me, some of the best lather from any soap.

Yes Sir, I know that. But, honestly, the procedure they suggest is not really to my liking. Thank you.

For those interested here it is below:

Usage Advice

Saponificio Varesino’s formulations contain active ingredients that, in order to obtain the best perfomance, need to solubilize and/or melt. The maximum performance can be obtained in this way: cover the soap surface with a thin veil of hot water for few minutes. Soak a badger shaving brush, rinse it well and then pour the thin veil of water that bloomed the soap on the brush, and then start loading (20-30 seconds), face or bowl lather without adding water.

Glad to hear you discovered how great Saponificio Varesino is, Marco. I have five soaps in my regular rotation and two of them are SV (Dolomiti & Cosmo).

I've always more or less drowned it and still gotten excellent shaves. Then again, my tap water is really soft compared to a lot of places.

I am now inspired to revisit my Pre de Provence soap using the FLM. This is not the first or second time revisiting this soap. This is a soap that many people rave about but my lather has always been thin. I always chalked it up to YMMV but maybe I am to quick to label something that doesn't work for you as YMMV. If I still get thin lather I can always use Barbersol.
Thin lather is a common issue, but it is easy to fix:

Yes Sir, I know that. But, honestly, the procedure they suggest is not really to my liking. Thank you.

For those interested here it is below:

Usage Advice

Saponificio Varesino’s formulations contain active ingredients that, in order to obtain the best perfomance, need to solubilize and/or melt. The maximum performance can be obtained in this way: cover the soap surface with a thin veil of hot water for few minutes. Soak a badger shaving brush, rinse it well and then pour the thin veil of water that bloomed the soap on the brush, and then start loading (20-30 seconds), face or bowl lather without adding water.
Looks like Williams procedure. :biggrin1:

I am now inspired to revisit my Pre de Provence soap using the FLM. This is not the first or second time revisiting this soap. This is a soap that many people rave about but my lather has always been thin. I always chalked it up to YMMV but maybe I am to quick to label something that doesn't work for you as YMMV. If I still get thin lather I can always use Barbersol.
I've used PdP63 (and like it a lot!); I've had good results by blooming the soap prior to using it. I add back part of the bloom water in to my bowl a little at a time as I make my lather. What I don't add back, I use as a preshave before each lather pass.

Also, I squeeze my (badger) brush so it's damp when I load my soap. I'm not sure, but I suspect this helps scrape up some more of the soap from the top of the puck than would otherwise be collected by a wet brush.

Lathering this way, I've never got a thin lather from PdP 63.

FWIW, I also have hard water (though I don't know the number).

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
To celebrate this thread, I had yet another glorious shave with Desert Vetiver. Face lathered with an Omega 011842.

Sir, "glorious" is the correct word! Of the 3 SV soaps I've tried so far (Desert Vetiver, Opuntia and 70° Anniversario) Desert Vetiver is unquestionably my favourite. Next on my list to test is Manna di Sicilia. By the way, VIVA L'ITALIA! 🇮🇹

Next on my list to test is Manna di Sicilia.
Be sure you get the new 4.3 version! I just enjoyed 70th for my evening shave on this warm Fall evening in Ca and I don't feel 4.1 is lacking much. But 4.3 is a must have when available and the aluminium jar is a nice bonus.

Forgot, the bath soap, aftershave and EdP was also exquisite!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Be sure you get the new 4.3 version! I just enjoyed 70th for my evening shave on this warm Fall evening in Ca and I don't feel 4.1 is lacking much. But 4.3 is a must have when available and the aluminium jar is a nice bonus.

Forgot, the bath soap, aftershave and EdP was also exquisite!

Yes, of course Sir. To be fully precise it's the new Manna di Sicilia Beta 4.3 Edizione Alluminio (pic attached). :wink2:

Manna-alum-SHAVINGSOAP-web.jpg

Top Bottom