What's new

To Rinse or Not To Rinse?

In watching straight razor videos, I’ve seen some say never rinse, just wipe the lather off the blade with a towel (avoid touching the edge), but most rinse the blade in water during the shave. As long as the blade is dried off when you’re done, it shouldn’t matter if you rinse the blade or not, should it?

I choose to rinse because I figure if I wiped I'd be more prone to handling errors. I'm willing to face the consequences regarding pivot pin wetness/dinging the edge. Better than dropping my razor/slicing my fingers haha.

I rinse, toe down into the steam, up to the heel. shouldn’t get any water on the tang, much less to the pivot.

If I get water on the tang, or my fingers are wet, I dry them then (between passes)

I have seen some of the filthiest razors when it comes to the pivot and within the scales. They fill up with soap, muck, hair, etc. I rinse my razor, including the tang, pivot and between the scales. Then I carefully dry with folded toilet paper or tissue within the scales and tang. Nothing touches the blade as I shake it dry. Strop on flax to remove anything left behind. After that, I leave it in a warm spot to dry any remaining moisture. Wrap in VCI paper and good as new!

Top Bottom