What's new

To restore or not....

I picked up a new brush in an antique store today. I wasn't really looking for one, but I couldn't pass this one up. It's an Eveready 200, with the marble red base. I knew as soon as I saw it what the draw is for these handles. My problem lies in whether or not to re knot it. I haven't cleaned it at all, and it looks like it has never been used. I will probably use it as is and see if the knot is solid. If it breaks in nicely, and doesn't shed, I will probably use it as is. I do like my boar brushes. If it does become a shedder, I will probably put a silver tip in it.

$Str8 pics 002.jpg$Str8 pics 001.jpg

I have been looking for one of those for along time. Its official :angry:. Just kidding. If it was me(and I wish it was)I would put a silver tip in it.

Beauty. Sounds like a good plan.

Folks are paying $15-$20 for those handles, then reknotting and relettering. Looks great with just the cleaning and, I'm guessing, polishing you did.

The knot looks almost new. I would try it as is first of you are into boars. If it were mine I would put a silver tip or a finest in it. I have a green one just like that and its getting a Silvertip when I get around to doing it.

Wow what a beauty! I wish I had your luck, I have been trying for some time to get the ER 200 in Black and Green, Black and Red, and Cream and Blue. I got the Black and Green for a steal at a yard sale, but have had no luck on the other 2. I would use it as is and if it sheds then put a TGN Finest in it, or maybe a Grade A Silvertip.

Thanks for the replie's everyone. I am hoping the hair's stay put. I have another vintage bear that I use once in a while, and I really like it, but it's a bit of a shedder.

Beauty. Sounds like a good plan.

Folks are paying $15-$20 for those handles, then reknotting and relettering. Looks great with just the cleaning and, I'm guessing, polishing you did.

I haven't done anything to it. That is how I found it in the store. I was amazed that the lettering is so nice.

Thats very nice condition, my green one looked like a dog had chewed on it. I buffed the marks out but you can still see them barely. A grade Asilver tip would be awesome.

I'd give it a try first to see how it holds up. If not a finest in fan shape would be my choice.

Thanks for the replie's everyone. I am hoping the hair's stay put. I have another vintage bear that I use once in a while, and I really like it, but it's a bit of a shedder.

I haven't done anything to it. That is how I found it in the store. I was amazed that the lettering is so nice.

Wow! The lettering looks deep and the body doesn't seem to have a mark on it. Break it in! I am using a NOS (or close to it) ER 100 boar and although it gets a little floppy when wet, I like it. Whips up a nice lather!

Clean it up and condition it with a good after shampoo conditioner and use it as is. If it sheds then replace the knot. I think the handle looks great as is-I wouldn't touch it!

Thanks for the replies everyone. IMO, picture's don't do these brushes justice. Especially mine. LOL

I made a test lather with it last night, and it didn't shed a hair. It didn't make a very good lather... But I think it has never been used, so I was expecting that. I'll make a few more lather's with it and then throw it into the rotation if it continues to hold onto it's hairs. I already had an Ever Ready 150 that I've been using with the original knot, and it works great, but sheds a little on each use.

Skrymr:

I was glad to see you gave your vintage brush a try since it's in such excellent shape. Tom (Hoosier Trooper) once posted that he uses all vintage brushes as purchased (after disinfecting and cleaning, of course) and has great results. Since I read his post I have been cleaning and disinfecting my used brushes and giving them a try. Some end up in the rotation and some get "beheaded" waiting their turn for a reknot. Yours certainly looks like a keeper. Enjoy your shaves.

Don

Top Bottom