What's new

To Restore or Not to Restore?

I have an antique ever-ready C40 that I bought on eBay two years ago because I wanted to make an old spice themed collection. From the research I did I figure this brush was made sometime during the 50’s. I can’t use it because it won’t whip a lather worth a darn and it loses hair constantly. I have wanted to restore it, I even purchased some banded boar knots to keep the restoration authentic. My coworker thinks I should just leave it as an ornamental piece. It’s the first brush I ever bought and I’m just not sure what to do.

Do I leave the brush as an original and put it in a display case or restore it and enjoy using my old spice themed shaving collection?

621452E6-288B-46D8-87A3-2EEFFFD260D1.jpeg
D07F14B7-2830-4368-AA1B-7645C5F8CE8D.jpeg

Some time ago I was in a similar situation with an EverReady brush. The old knot was simply unusable.

My solution was to have Rudy Vey add a bit of weight to the handle then replace the knot with a ShaveMac 2-band. Now I enjoy the ‘classic’ handle with a wonderful knot!!

:a29::a29:

I would re-knot it and enjoy! All I ever use brush wise is restored vintage brushes, and Badger knots. Except for an ever ready 1000 I have and I put a synthetic in it, just to try.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would give it a wash and see how it looks after. I would then give it a try and if it works fine just use it and enjoy it. Otherwise I would go down the re-knot route.

Legion

Staff member
I'd probably reknot it, if you like the handle. It's not super valuable, and even less so if you don't like using it because of the old knot.

Fix it up and enjoy using the vintage handle. Most of my brushes are that way.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I'm with Richard, also there are a few makers that sell "replica" c40s, I think Fine makes one, and Heritage collection has one too. Does PAA have one? I can't remember, but they do exist, so if you really wanted you could leave this one and get a replica one to use.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
A brush that doesn't work doesn't even count as a brush.
Considering this is not Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa or the mask of Tutankhamun, maintaining its integrity doesn't add much artistic value, much less those who receive our heritage will know how precious it is...I will Hope to replace the knot and use it to the fullest, the brush someone uses is the happy brush.

Top Bottom