What's new

To Resole a Pair of Doc Martens...

I've gotta say, I'm a yuge fan of Doc Martens. And I'm no hipster, skinhead or blue haired punk metal band member; just a hard working project manager for the zoo. My newest pair I bought just bought, say, seven months ago, and it's that time, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, they've been tremendous, easily my favorite pair of boots I've owned in quite a while. However, the sole is nearly slick now and is now in need of repair. The problem is that my cobbler, whom I know personally as a family friend, flat out refused to work on them. That's not uncommon, apparently, as Docs are unique.

My question for y'all is where do I go from here? Am I left with any options besides sending them to England? Should I even get the original style some or opt for something different? Any luck with sending your own Docs off for repair, at a price that would make it not worth just going out and rebuying the same pair? I wear them half the time I'm working, maybe even more, and easily put between ten and twenty miles on them a day; a mix of anything from walking in the woods to pounding pavement.

Thanks, all!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Check YouTube. I saw a video of a cobbler replacing sole & heel on a pair of Docs, not sure, but it might have been Bedos Leather Works. Fairly expensive, but maybe worth it to you.

I have to ask if they were British made or Chinese. Awhile back they sent their lower priced offerings to China to be made, and I would wonder if those are made the same way as the Brits, and if they’d be worth the resole vs buying new.

Check YouTube. I saw a video of a cobbler replacing sole & heel on a pair of Docs, not sure, but it might have been Bedos Leather Works. Fairly expensive, but maybe worth it to you.

Brian the Bootmaker is another one.

Brian the Bootmaker is another one.

That is a beautiful piece of work - a real craftsman - got to be close to $100+? It cost me $35 for just a commando heel on my Redwings. It doesn’t seem worth that much to put a non-standard replacement sole on what look like a pretty beat up pair of docs. A new pair costs what $150 or so? It might be worth it on a top quality boot that is made of fine leather but docs aren’t that good quality uppers imo. One the sole goes I’d just replace them.

I'm afraid some of you may be correct, I may just have to replace the boots. Sad, I love everything else about them, they're tremendously comfortable, but the sole wearing so quickly is unacceptable. Oh well, back to the drawing board for something similar in the $100-150 range. I'm buying another house, so being a bit more budget minded than I'd normally be for such an essential piece of workwear.

Maybe the more expensive special editions of Doc Martens. If they are the regular kind, the way the soles are glued on prevents them from having new ones put on. I think there's a page on the Doc Marten's website that says this and they discontinued an in-house replacement service. Clark's have replaceable outsoles, but you have to find your own cobbler. Since another poster linked to a video of it being done, maybe it's still possible.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I may just have to replace the boots.

Years ago, I had a pair of "made in England" Doc Marten shoes that needed a new sole. I took them to the local cobbler, and he glued a Vibram Gumlite sole to the bottom, which worked fine (and was IMHO an upgrade on the original sole both for grip and for durability.) This was an inexpensive repair, not a $100 recrafting.

I suggest shopping around for a different cobbler who is prepared to do this ... even if you still keep your original cobbler for all your other shoes.

Legion

Staff member
The soles on mine are fine, but both have had the leather split on the sides, were they bend at the ankle.

I'm done with Doc Martens. For the price there are more durable boots that don't require the breaking in. It seems like just around the point they are comfortable they are starting to wear out.

I've been wearing Docs for over 30 years, in that time I have worn right through 4 pairs of them but never thought about repairing them due to the cost compared to replacement.

My original 1460's from 1987 were the best, and I really regret giving them away 25 years later. But recently some of the made in England boots they offer have been really good, like a pair made from Kudu leather I got on sale which is not only really well made but extremely comfortable too. I tend to stay away from their offering made in Asia.

If you want a boot similar to old vintage Dr Martens, have a look for boots made by Solovair.

The English made ones are a little pricey for me right now. I've been on the lookout for nice discounts on Red Wings (factory seconds, etc) but it may be a process since I'm not so sure which from the US made line would be suitable for my work environment. They don't necessarily have to be super slip resistant and steel toe isn't a necessity, but I'll also be walking 10-20 miles a day on anything from asphalt to forest floor. I can't imagine a pair of Iron Rangers being much suited to that task.

Would like to stay at $150 or less, so options are limited. I do see a nice pair of Irish Setter Loggers I like quite a bit.

It may turn out to be a shootout between Red Wings, Thorogood and Chippewa. I'm really liking the moc toe RWs and Thorogood mocs, except with the sturdier black soles. I love the RW Heritage line, but I keep hearing that those bought within the past couple years aren't really what they used to be after they became enormously popular.

Thoughts? Also, I can get both as factory seconds for right around $150, maybe just SLIGHTLY more.

I would highly recommend the RedWing heritage Beckmans. They will last a very long time and are Goodyear welted so can be fully rebuilt. US made and IMO very high quality and good QC. Two caveats - 1) try them on before you buy - sizing can be large relative to other makes and 2) the break in is a serious process - took me about 100 miles for full break in but now they fit like a glove. The sole is leather with a lug rubber half sole. I also had a commando heel installed for better winter traction. The speedhooks on the top two or three lacings are worth adding (an easy self install for about $10). Three Chicago winters and they are still hardly worn on the soles.

IMG_2589.JPG

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I had a pair of Doc Martins about 30 years ago and got a cobbler to resole them. The resole job was a glue on sole and outlive the boots.

I've found a local manufactured that I like a lot, so Doc Martins are no longer a boot for me.

My old uk roommate told me my DMs were for "spastic" feet.

Maybe he was also a fan of The Young Ones.

I would highly recommend the RedWing heritage Beckmans. They will last a very long time and are Goodyear welted so can be fully rebuilt. US made and IMO very high quality and good QC. Two caveats - 1) try them on before you buy - sizing can be large relative to other makes and 2) the break in is a serious process - took me about 100 miles for full break in but now they fit like a glove. The sole is leather with a lug rubber half sole. I also had a commando heel installed for better winter traction. The speedhooks on the top two or three lacings are worth adding (an easy self install for about $10). Three Chicago winters and they are still hardly worn on the soles.

View attachment 982791

I have the Beckman chukkas (didn't they used to be called Gentleman's Travelers?), and I agree on their awesomeness, but I'm not 100% sure how suitable they would be for my job. Also, even factory seconds are $200 or better, so they're just slightly on the high side, for me.

Right now, the Red Wing 875 mocs and Thorogood mocs are much more common to find around the $150 mark. I also love the sturdier, grippier soles on the RW Roughnecks, but they're a bit harder to find. Many seem to lean more towards the Thorogoods as an actual, rough and tough work boot, but I'm still open to the Red Wings if they can be found for the right price.

The Rover Round toe RWs are very nice, as well, but I rarely ever see them come up in discussion, so not totally sure about them.

I hear over and over that for a tried and true workboot, Thorogood moc with the Maxwear sole is the answer. Apparently the Red Wing mocs are great in their own right, but the soles wear out quicker. So, looks like my decision has been made. Now to find the best deal!

Sooo...found a sale I couldn't refuse on Chippewa Service Boots. Going to give them a go. I couldn't pass them up at this price. Can't wait!

Top Bottom