What's new

To Resole a Pair of Doc Martens...

20190606_140435.jpg
20190606_130959.jpg

Insanely stiff, but really not painful. I don't know if I'd want to do a triathlon in them, but I've been wearing them a couple hours at a time and it's not unbearable.

Insanely stiff, but really not painful. I don't know if I'd want to do a triathlon in them, but I've been wearing them a couple hours at a time and it's not unbearable.
So their statement "Zero break-in time necessary" is a bit optimistic then. They look very nice - the Vibram should hold up well and be easy to replace. I'd probably put speedhooks on the top 2 or 3 lace holes since I tend to take my boots on and off a few times a day in winter.

I've put around fifty miles on them, twenty five of those were just yesterday. Some slight tightness in the toe box after so long but so far, so good.

I love Docs as well...a comparable brand (I actually like them better) is Gripfast!

They are certainly worth a look!

Vr

Matt

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Your finances are, of course, none of my business. But if you're paying $140 for boots that last less than a year that's a seriously losing proposition in the long run (and not very good in the short run).

I’ve had two DM Monkey boots for well over a year with no quality issues. Very comfortable and durable for my type job where I walk in all kinds of weather and surfaces.

First, I messed up, because I forgot to take pictures before I sent them in, but I just got these Docs back from NuShoe.com. they replaced the soles and laces and refinished the uppers. It was $95 (shipping included.

It may seem expensive for a pair of Docs, but I had wore these shoes hard since the mid to late 90s, and I couldn't bring myself to throw them out. Plus they were made in England and I'm not sure they even make this chukka type style anymore.

When I originally bought them, they were my dress shoes, I then wore them casually, then wore them for a few years in the kitchen of a restaurant, and for the last 10 years they have been my work/snow shoveling boots. The soles had just gotten so worn that I no longer could get any traction.

I'm very happy with the outcome.
20190913_100143.jpg
20190913_095946.jpg
20190913_095927.jpg
20190913_095917.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a couple of pairs of very old Docs that I've been thinking about getting resoled. One is a pair of 1460 boots, and the other a pair of the five-eyelet shoes (I think they're 8053s). Both date to the late 90s. I always thought that they had a lifetime guarantee. I wrote to the company, so we'll see what they say. If not, any recommendations for cobblers--online or otherwise? My local ones aren't really up to the job. I've heard that Brian the Bootmaker charges upward of $250, and I don't think I love these guys that much. How's the work at nushoe.com?

I got a brown pair of 1460s from 1994. I need the inner heels and the upperswhere the tabs are to be all redone, the soles are worn but still hanging in there. If nushoes fixes those in one of their packages I would gladly send mine in. Those shoes fit like a glove.

For 90's Docs we are out luck, they had a weak warranty even back then, but even if covered today , Doc Marten doesnt work on anything they just replace it with stuff made in Vietnam.

Solovair the company which help create the original Docs and made them under contract for decades still sells them for 200 bucks made in England, they also make Gripfast and a bunch of other great boots.
Solovair classic 8 eye boot

If the only option is to go with Vibram soles, I think I'll just put the 1460s back in the closet and wear them every now and then. I've had a lot of military boots resoled with Vibram, and they work fine. But I'd just as soon keep the 1460s the same since it isn't an issue of regular wear. I will look into resoling the 8053s--I get more use out of them.

It's nice to hear that Solovair is still making a quality boot. I occasionally bought Doc Mary Janes for my daughters in the 2000s, and they liked them, but they didn't wear well. I wouldn't buy them again.

Last edited:
I got an email back from the Dr. Martens USA office. They said that they don't do any resoling, and they can't recommend anyone.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Guess they just want to sell you new boots. Hope you can find someone to resole them at the right price and quality.

this guy does amazing work, he has an inquiry form too.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this guy does amazing work, he has an inquiry form too.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
He definitely does a nice job, but I think it costs about $250 for a resole.

These Chippewas have been serving me very well. I even wear them to work if I don't think I'll be in the field much that day. Women love them, too. Hey, that counts for something! A nice pair of dark jeans (plain Levi's 501s today) a long sleeve button down and watch out.

Top Bottom