What's new

To Re(store) Or Not To Re(store)

That, gentlemen, is my question.

I recently purchased two vintage razors at a local shop. I will say upfront that I do not shave with a straight (yet...lol). I purchased them to help sooth my recently-contracted RAD, and no safety razors were available. I thought that I might be able to "flip" them for a small profit or trade them for an interesting safety razor or fountain pen.

The blades of both razors look to be in reasonably good condition (to my untrained eye)...no scratches or chips, just some minor discoloration and a little bit of rust.

The first razor is marked "Shumate Razor Company, St. Louis, USA" on one side of the tang and "Shumate's 012" on the other. It has beautiful scales colored burnt orange w/ black swirls. It does have a good bit of rust at the tang near the pivot area. It will have to be un-pinned, sanded, polished and re-pinned).

The second razor is simply marked "Sterling" on one side of the tang. The scales are black, but one is broken. Again, the blade will need sanded/polished and new scales.

Here's my question: would you guys prefer to purchase/trade for a restored razor, or would you rather buy one as-is to restore yourself?

How much would one expect to pay for materials to restore these razors? How much would it cost to have the razors restored?

Thanks in advance for the input!

My 2 cents is if you don't shave with a straight and you have no real knowledge of them then don't restore them.

That's kinda the direction I've been leaning in. Besides...the handle is so pretty on that Shumate that I might not want to give it up once the blade is all shiny! SWMBO HATES the idea of me shaving with a straight...plus the need for a hone, strop, etc...

You should post some pics though.
My shumate is probably the best steel I have. It takes a really really good edge and keeps it.

Here's my question: would you guys prefer to purchase/trade for a restored razor, or would you rather buy one as-is to restore yourself?

How much would one expect to pay for materials to restore these razors? How much would it cost to have the razors restored?

Thanks in advance for the input!

There is gonna be as many answers as there are straight users.

Costs for materials could range all depending on what you plan to do/use

I'd think the restoration rate would be min $50 for slapping on plastic scales and a honing.

Shumate is a great razor, but condition is everything. Post some pics if you can. Just curious, why would the queen hate your shaving with a straight. My wife celebrates every time she touches/kisses one of my BB cheeks. LOL I get a better shave that lasts longer with a straight. JMHE

Here are some potato-quality pics. I'm just taking a break from a SWMBO (SWMBLW) project...so just taken with the tablet and available light. Will likely be the weekend before I can set up the DSLR and lights to get great pics. $IMG_20150810_182523.jpg$IMG_20150810_182559.jpg

Both blades look in relatively good condition. Shumate looks like it needs a good polishing and honing. Scales on that one looks good. the other one looks like maybe some light sanding before polishing and honing and definitely a new set of scales which can be found at Maggards or Whipped Dog or Ebay. Does not look like major restoration work and so not a major problem for you to do yourself.

Thanks guys! I have a few other things to take care of before starting any kind of restoration project. As I said, I might flip them as-is before I start any restore work. If I do decide to tackle it, I'll post the progress here. I'll let everybody know either way.

Those both look great and should be a very fun restoration project indeed. I do look forward to seeing what you come up with for them both. Whether you shave with them or not they do stand to be very interesting conversational pieces for sure if nothing else:thumbup:

They both look like minor restoration is needed, not sure if the scales on the Shumate are original to the razor but they look good, I would unpin both and do a light polish on both then polish the scales on the Shumate and replace the other ones with a set from Maggards maybe then off to the 1k for a new bevel and then finish out to say 10-12k and shave with them.

i recently gifted my son my Shumate and it sure gives a good shave
$image.jpg

Those are in great shape I'd say. Not too much more than a good polishing and honing as others have already mentioned. Other than the scales on the one that is.

This Shumate was my second restore. It went from this

To this.

Last edited:
Those are in great shape I'd say. Not too much more than a good polishing and honing as others have already mentioned. Other than the scales on the one that is.

This Shumate was my second restore. It went from this

To this.

Super restore Job !!!!

Top Bottom