What's new

To (re)Knot or not?

Hi,

I have a vintage Ever Ready 300PBT brush that I have a couple questions about.
proxy.php

The knot is still in pretty good shape. But it is very floppy to use, and it splays flat way to easily. It really doesn't hold it's shape as you use it. And I've noticed that is starting to shed a hair on a more regular basis.

So first, are these brushes supposed to be that floppy soft? And has the hairs started to age out and will the shedding get worse?

So if it the brush has reached end of life, what would be a good modern badger knot to get for a replacement? I really like the size and feel of the handle, so I would be interested in a reknot.

Thank You!!!!

That looks like a pretty small knot. Your biggest problem is going to be finding a replacement knot that small. Without sharing your budget it's hard to give you a recommendation.

Declaration Brushworks is about as good as it gets but they are often out of stock and at a higher level price wise. (around $130, you send them the handle with the knot already removed they send it back with the knot installed).

As far as great knots to buy it depends on your budget. From Elite Shaving the Manchurian knots are outstanding (around $60). Shavemac knots are excellent but a bit more pricey. The Shavemac two band silvertip (not the d01) is outstanding but would be around the $100 mark.

Envy Shave makes some great very reasonable priced knots (around $30 or so, or at least they were the last time I bought one). Their Luxury Silvertip is very good.

For even lower cost look at Maggards, The Golden Nib and Whipped Dog.

I'm not sure which of these vendors make a knot that small so just finding something in that size might be your biggest challenge.

I do like the handle though and it's in great shape.

If you like the handle you should re-knot. It looks like there's enough diameter to make the socket larger for a different size if you're inclined to bore it out. I did some digging a month or so ago and Maggards 2-Band seemed well liked.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would look at re-knotting as the handles are too nice to ditch. It is a pity that they are floppy as the really do look in fine shape.

That looks like a pretty small knot. Your biggest problem is going to be finding a replacement knot that small. Without sharing your budget it's hard to give you a recommendation.

Declaration Brushworks is about as good as it gets but they are often out of stock and at a higher level price wise. (around $130, you send them the handle with the knot already removed they send it back with the knot installed).

As far as great knots to buy it depends on your budget. From Elite Shaving the Manchurian knots are outstanding (around $60). Shavemac knots are excellent but a bit more pricey. The Shavemac two band silvertip (not the d01) is outstanding but would be around the $100 mark.

Envy Shave makes some great very reasonable priced knots (around $30 or so, or at least they were the last time I bought one). Their Luxury Silvertip is very good.

For even lower cost look at Maggards, The Golden Nib and Whipped Dog.

Hi,

I would go as high as $50 for a new knot. And I would like to do the work myself. I will take a look at the Envy Shave selection. Sounds like the Lux Silvertip might be what I want.

I'm not sure which of these vendors make a knot that small so just finding something in that size might be your biggest challenge.

Yeah, the size is an issue. But I honestly like the smaller knots myself.

I do like the handle though and it's in great shape.

Another vote for new knots!! Those are NICE HANDLES! :a14::a14:

Ain't going to reknot the black marble Tuxedo knot just yet. But I would in a heartbeat if and when I need to.

I have that brush too. The knot seems to measure out around 16mm, which presents a challenge. It is a very flopping knot too, presenting even more issues. The opening can easily be enlarged. I have a couple of these handles and have put a Synthetic in one and a Badger in another. Both needed to be opened up a little.

May I suggest an ACE or Virginia Sheng 19 mm Finest knot. You will need to open up the hole a bit but there is plenty of room. There may be room enough to go to 24 mm if you want to get adventurous. ACE or Virginia Sheng 19 mm knots were near $10.00 each the last time I ordered some. They are really an exceptional knot especially at that price.

If you are at all handy this is an easy enough task to tackle it yourself. I learned most of what I needed to know here and then by experience from there. My first re-knot was my grandfathers old Erskine and it turned out great.

I would remove the old knot first. Cut off as much of the old knot as possible then using a small drill bit (about 1/8"), drill many holes into the base of the knot until you weaken it enough to break it apart the rest of the way with an ice pick and / or needle nose pliers. Once you have as much out as you can easily get, finish cleaning the sides of the hole with a Dremel (or similar) drum sander. You can usually clean up the floor of the hole with the ice pick, as the glues used are not as strong as the plastic handle. If the hole has no floor (hollow handle), you may want to build it up so you have a shelf or base to hold the new knot. If the handle is hollow, you can fill it with cork, a wood dowel, coins, or washers. Coins or washers add heft and can be desirable but it can be overdone. The last hollow handle I filled I used mostly cork and a couple of coins so it had the heft I liked.

Don't try to finish enlarging the hole until you get the new knot so you can size the hole to the knot. Usually about a mm larger than the knot, but it isn't that simple. Often the base disc of the knot is smaller than advertised (about 1/4 mm to 1/2 mm). Knots are larger around a little above the base disc due to the glue bump. I refer to this as the "swell". You need to allow for that, and the swell varies from knot to knot both in height above the base disc and the additional diameter.

Anyway, have fun. Enjoy the project. Ask as many questions as you need. Make that thing a joy to use.

Definitely reknot that one, very nice handle that deserves something of appropriate size and quality. Maggards and whipped dog have extremely well priced knots that are pretty high quality.

As others have said, I would put in a new knot. Here's mine - a TGN 2 band finest. I had to open and reconstruct the socket, but what a delight to use! Enjoy the project!
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Top Bottom