What's new

To people who say don't lap barber hones...

I’ve had a couple awful Apart hones. Barely bevel setters if I remember right, but small sample size and fits right in with swaty hones. They vary WILDLY. I compared slurry between three at one point. One was <micron(15-30k) One was about 5 micron (3-4K). One was 20+ micron (~1k)

Wow, that would explain some opinions.

A good john primble is nice in the way a good swaty is

I was not as impressed with the Primble I have. Marginally improved an 8k edge for me.

No sooner did I say that all my frictionite hones went to the US than an auction ended for 180 with an international buyer, and I relisted one that hadn’t had a bid at 170 With a $200 buy it now and it sold within a couple hours. Also international. There was another Seller with one at 175 buy it now, And his disappeared at the same time, so I’m guessing one of those Australians who buys them up en mass Came on them

If you had to put crazy codes in the addys or they went to Delaware with small codes they are just being routed overseas

If you haven’t found frictionites to be hard to lap, then you haven’t had a warped one. They generally aren’t hard to lap, because they hardly wear, so if they haven’t warped than You’re really only wiping out scratches which takes no time on anything. However they do have a tendency to warp very severely in certain cases, to the point where you might have to lap away almost half the depth on one side and half the depth at the opposite point of the other. This was the case with the first one I ever bought. It took about a week and a couple dozen low grit high-quality sander belts... I don’t doubt I could’ve ground entirely through a full inch thick translucent Arkansas in the same amount of time
Finally encountered a warped one. There's a lot of hype on the difficulty of lapping these. It's gliding along. I mean it's hard but compared to some hybrid coticule or an apache black gila or even something like a way out flaky tam, this is nothing. What's interesting to me is the degree of warp is almost in lockstep with how thick or thin the fine side is. Seems like it shrinks and there is enough give in the coarse to bend over time to accommodate it. Thing is the thinner spots didn't bow as much so this one undulates.
20210226_131723.jpg
20210226_131728.jpg
20210226_174259.jpg
20210226_174303.jpg

Real time. Not worth going any further beyond surface refinement because that one corner is quite low and it is pointless with a clean track on a fast stone. This was rocking on the table and it took 40 min for the bulk...
20210226_180448.jpg
20210226_180503.jpg

Being a glutton for punishment I picked up a few during the presumably covid fueled market dip on these. At least the olean that is coming doesn't appear to be a basket case.

You're using SIC? To this day I've not had to lap anything as painful as a warped Frictionite, but I was doing it with just diamond plates. A Very badly dished Charnley came close.

This one I used a well used d8xx under a barrage of water. Long linear strokes but changing the angle each time to cut across the grooves. Never needed sic with these. My usual method on a normal one is to just use tiny circles on top of wet dry and basically use its own slurry as the loose grit abrasive.

The coarse side sort of feels like lapping a hard modernish synth but the fine side feels like what I imagine putting an old rental bowling ball on wet dry and grinding away would feel like.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
You're using SIC? To this day I've not had to lap anything as painful as a warped Frictionite, but I was doing it with just diamond plates. A Very badly dished Charnley came close.
Same. I had a DiaFlat and it was still miserable. Not worth it.

The brackett's Brazilian hone is probably the toughest b hone to lap that I have encountered. I have to be at 10 or 11 frictionites now and I just don't see it as some horror show to deal with..So long as you keep it under its own slurry on wet dry or keep its own slurry off the diamonds if you are using a plate it cruises along.

Reactions: LJS
The fernslers is the weirdest. It is really unprogressive as you go and it is tricky to get a uniform surface finish.

Reactions: LJS
The brackett's Brazilian hone is probably the toughest b hone to lap that I have encountered. I have to be at 10 or 11 frictionites now and I just don't see it as some horror show to deal with..So long as you keep it under its own slurry on wet dry or keep its own slurry off the diamonds if you are using a plate it cruises along.

Ya, the Brackett is hard and the Carborundum 101a and 105 were just as miserable.
Frictionites are way easier.

Well, I finally encountered a horrific frictionite but not for the reasons noted here. Thing smelled like you emptied a thousand ashtrays and baked it into a hone using unfiltered cigarettes to fuel the furnace.

Top Bottom