What's new

To Open Comb or Not to Open Comb

I've never looked into getting a SLOC, thank you for the heads up.

It shaves similar to the yaqi Mellon. Used the Mellon yesterday and the SLOC today. Both pretty mild. If I had to pick between those two it would be the Mellon only because I could get it in stainless steel.

However, I did get the SLOC recently because I found out, @never-stop-learning, that I can Frankenrazor it with the R41. That was worth the $10 for the head.

full

If I had to pick between all my double opens it would be the PAA Ascension in what ever metal they have available or that you prefer. It's a completely different shave. The other two are similar to the original Grandshave King. The Ascension really puts a big curve and tension on the blade. I feel safe twisting back with it to make the razor much more aggressive. 1/2 turn back and it's really efficient. Snugged up and it's really mild.

The claim that open combs are more aggressive than solid safety bar is completely wrong. There are terribly mild open comb razors too. Buy yourself any of the open comb Merkurs and you will see what I am talking about.

So, sure, go ahead and buy an open comb. But it will not tell you what open combs are because of the aforementioned very wide range of aggresiveness in open combs. I guess you get my subtle enabling idea (buy various open combs, life's short).

+1! There are ‘mild’ OC razors and ‘aggressive’ SB razors. It is worthwhile to give one or two a try!

lasta

Blade Biter
It shaves similar to the yaqi Mellon. Used the Mellon yesterday and the SLOC today. Both pretty mild. If I had to pick between those two it would be the Mellon only because I could get it in stainless steel.

The steel and regular Mellon are actually quite different. Steel is significantly more blade forward.

Still medium/medium+, but don't expect the "slash around with abandon" of the original.

The steel and regular Mellon are actually quite different. Steel is significantly more blade forward.

Still medium/medium+, but don't expect the "slash around with abandon" of the original.
I have the stainless Mellon. I didn't find it to have much blade feel. I find it to be on the mild side but maybe the slightly more blade forward of it is why I found it efficient as well

I do not believe that open combs are by themselves more aggressive than razors with safety bar.

What makes many open comb razors (e.g. Mühle R41) more aggressive is that they often have more blade exposure and a more generous blade gap than otherwise identical models with safety bar (e.g. Mühle R89).
In case of the Mühle R41, what made the original 2011 design less aggressive and more acceptable to many was IMO the 2013 reduction of blade exposure.

I also have two Tatara razors with open comb and with safety bar where both heads have the same blade exposure and gap and for all practical purposes they shave the same.

Where there might be a small difference is in the way the different head designs route the lather when the head glides over the skin, but I consider that difference negligible.

Hope this helps…

B.
I don't think it is true, what you said about the difference between the 2011 and 2013 R41 models.

My understanding is that they didn't change the blade exposure at all. What they did was widen the top cap slightly. The effect that had was to stabilize the blade edge a bit better, which made it so there was less blade chatter. Less blade chatter is what makes the razor shave more smoothly and feel less 'aggressive' than the 2011 version.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a # of open comb and ASR closed comb razors I have accumulated over the years. Gillette New long comb and short comb are good razor heads but do have some blade tab over hang if that is a concern and are a tame mid to mid range depending on blade used .
Razorock SLOC :001_wub: dual open comb is a nice mild to tame mid range and works excellent and I have recently bought a Yaqi V2 Melon head dual open comb 316 SS:001_wub: and it is a tame mid to mid range depending on blade used if that is what some one likes, good machining and finish QC IMO on V2 .
Open comb allows more access to lather protection to the skin because it does not plow away the lather IMO.
I use a Kai SS blade extra wide if I want a slight boost in efficentcy and slight increase in blade feel it offers.YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom

However, I did get the SLOC recently because I found out, @never-stop-learning, that I can Frankenrazor it with the R41. That was worth the $10 for the head.

full

If I had to pick between all my double opens it would be the PAA Ascension in what ever metal they have available or that you prefer. It's a completely different shave. The other two are similar to the original Grandshave King. The Ascension really puts a big curve and tension on the blade. I feel safe twisting back with it to make the razor much more aggressive. 1/2 turn back and it's really efficient. Snugged up and it's really mild.
Thanks for the head's up mate, I think there is an Ascension in my not to distant future 👍.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Thanks for the head's up mate, I think there is an Ascension in my not to distant future 👍.

Hi Dave, hope life is treating you well! :thumbup1:

proxy.php
IMG_4271.JPG

IMG_4274.JPG
proxy.php

proxy.php

As an PAA Copper Ascension Twist owner, I highly recommend this razor, I wrote a favorable review on it infact. In my opinion, I feel that it is the smoothest shaving razor I have ever used! I can adjust the aggression from super mild, to moderate aggression with a simple twist of the handle. I also agree with what @Ron R said, these double open combs don't scoop all the lather away in the first pass like a Rex Ambassador does. They leave you with some lather so you can make a couple of passes in the same spot.

They also don't have super positive blade exposure like a Timeless TI95 does, so you don't have to fear tearing up your face if your technique is a bit off. When the handle is tightened all the way down, they are super safe for beginners to use. Its really nice to have a razor that will do it all! While PAA does make multiple different versions of the Ascension Twist Adjustable, I really enjoy the Copper version.

I find that the Copper razor has some solid heft to it, most certainly earns its way in the heavy weight classes. The Rose Gold plating that they apply, just looks phenomenal. IMO, it is PAA's best looking razor, and perhaps best razor period. You can't go wrong with an Ascension at your face. When I bring mine out, my whiskers cower in fear, as I bring fourth the tool of whisker weight reduction, and remove them pesky whisker insurgence with great dispatch. :thumbup:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Hi Dave, hope life is treating you well! :thumbup1:

proxy.php
View attachment 1657501
View attachment 1657502
proxy.php

proxy.php

As an PAA Copper Ascension Twist owner, I highly recommend this razor, I wrote a favorable review on it infact. In my opinion, I feel that it is the smoothest shaving razor I have ever used! I can adjust the aggression from super mild, to moderate aggression with a simple twist of the handle. I also agree with what @Ron R said, these double open combs don't scoop all the lather away in the first pass like a Rex Ambassador does. They leave you with some lather so you can make a couple of passes in the same spot.

They also don't have super positive blade exposure like a Timeless TI95 does, so you don't have to fear tearing up your face if your technique is a bit off. When the handle is tightened all the way down, they are super safe for beginners to use. Its really nice to have a razor that will do it all! While PAA does make multiple different versions of the Ascension Twist Adjustable, I really enjoy the Copper version.

I find that the Copper razor has some solid heft to it, most certainly earns its way in the heavy weight classes. The Rose Gold plating that they apply, just looks phenomenal. IMO, it is PAA's best looking razor, and perhaps best razor period. You can't go wrong with an Ascension at your face. When I bring mine out, my whiskers cower in fear, as I bring fourth the tool of whisker weight reduction, and remove them pesky whisker insurgence with great dispatch. :thumbup:
I'm signed up for when the one with the Gunmetal finish comes back into stock thanks to you gentlemen (enabling), sorry I meant helping me.

IMO, it is PAA's best looking razor, and perhaps best razor period.

Time to derail this thread. Sorry, not sorry.

I really like PAA's throw back razors. So hard for me to say any one of them are the best looking. I'm refreshing daily waiting for the Quantum Eclipse tribute to come back in stock.

Then I'm fully in love with the Meta-4. I got one off Murphy and McNeil's wedsite used and was blown away by it. Then PAA came out with all brass version and I snagged it up along with a 3.25" flair tip handle.

IMG_20230520_203726981.jpg

And that Meta-4 top cap + Tech baseplate 💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯 The FrankenTech shave was amazing

full

That's a pre-war tech baseplate. I'm looking forward to trying it with the rest. Barely see it but there is a blade loaded in that picture. Smooooooooth and efficient.

But yes to bring it back to the thread. The Cu Ascension twist is amazing as well and right there as one of the beauties.

I only have 2 OC's : the Fatip Piccolo and the Yaqi Mellon and they both give me smooth shaves. The Fatip is a bit more agressive but also gives a closer shave, you just have to use little pressure and it works really well (for me).

The mellon is surprisingly smooth and easy to use, these two are at the moment my razors i use about 70% of the time.

Top Bottom