What's new

To oil or not to oil

Do you oil your straight razor blade

• Total voters
For my razors in rotation, I used to do nothing. While for those in storage I used mineral oil.

Notice that the above is past tense...

Currently I have all my razors treated with Ren Wax. One weekend I cleaned off all the oil and everything I owned got a coat. Incoming razors get a coat after honing. Pasted balsa and linen and leather stropping probably remove a patch at the spine and edge, but I haven't seen any issues. I do notice less tendency for water spots to form on the width of the blade.

For my razors in rotation, I used to do nothing. While for those in storage I used mineral oil.

Notice that the above is past tense...

Currently I have all my razors treated with Ren Wax. One weekend I cleaned off all the oil and everything I owned got a coat. Incoming razors get a coat after honing. Pasted balsa and linen and leather stropping probably remove a patch at the spine and edge, but I haven't seen any issues. I do notice less tendency for water spots to form on the width of the blade.
Same routine here, haven't tried the Ren Wax yet, but i do use a cotton ball and KY jelly. Before i strop i just give it a spritz of alcohol and wipe it off first

I suggest that you never ever put (weapons) oil on:
  • Razors with gold etching. The oil will remove the gold.
  • Razors with ivory scales. The ivory will suck up the oil and become milky white and the schräger lines will disappear.
  • Razors with bone scales. the scales will become discolored.
Other than those recommendations oil as much as you like. I don't. :001_smile

I suggest that you never ever put (weapons) oil on:
  • Razors with gold etching. The oil will remove the gold.
  • Razors with ivory scales. The ivory will suck up the oil and become milky white and the schräger lines will disappear.
  • Razors with bone scales. the scales will become discolored.
Other than those recommendations oil as much as you like. I don't. :001_smile

have to remember this if I ever pick up one with ivory or bone......

I can report no I'll effects on buffalo horn.

camo

Question: if I store my straight razors in individual plastic boxes lined with VCI paper,
do I need to oil them? These boxes are in a small closet in the bedroom, not anywhere
close to the bathroom.

I always oil (Jenkin's Razor Oil) the blade I have just used after a thorough drying session (tissue, cloth, air, hairdryer). Although I have not been globe-trotting since January 2020, living near the sea on a damp island, I have always coated blades left in storage for a length of time with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and store with VCI paper whilst away. I have not noticed any problems using oil with horn (stag and buffalo), fossilised mammoth tusk or gold etching. I have toyed with the idea of using silicone-treated anti-rust razor sleeves for extended storage, but have read elsewhere about issues relating to drying out horn and ivory.

Top Bottom