What's new

To my fellow mustache waxers

Hi All,

Hopefully, I've posted this in the right place.

I was wondering if any of you handlebar stache wearers have any experience with Rex Wax and/or Foad. At the moment, I'm using a combination of Pinaud Clubman and Firehouse dark, which works well, but I don't like the feel of Pinaud or the fact that it is water soluble, so I'm looking for alternatives. Any thoughts?

i have to use wax to keep my goetee straight when i grow it long. and firehouse is amazing. im suprised you dont like that the best. i havent tryed rex wax or foad. but if you do please post up about it. man stuff makes all diffrent smelling waxes you could try.

The Firehouse is good, but when I use it by itself, my stache starts to sag after a few hours. The combination of Pinaud and Firehouse is solid all day. However, I'm new to the whole handlebar thing, so I'm still experimenting. I'll definitely post my thoughts if I try Rex wax or Foad. I'd also like to try Firehouse's wacky tacky.

Does man stuff have a website?

Thanks for the link. Looks like a very informative site.

Unfortunately they don't get anywhere near the traffic of the badger, so getting responses can be a pain. If you read through you will find recipes to make your own waxes. After trying Clubman wax I am rather untrusting of most manufactured wax.

I was thinking of trying the firehouse wax. From that site it seems like that is the most trusted. Using just pomade I understand the mustache sag all to well. The only thing I liked about clubman was the comb, excellent for mid-day adjustments.

I came across the DIY wax recipes. Very cool. I can't wait to give them a try.

I'm not crazy about the clubman either, particularly the feel of it. But, while it has far less hold than the Firehouse, for whatever reason it does a better job of giving my stache an overall tidy appearance, which is why I currently use a combination of the two. I also enjoy the comb/brush. Very handy.

strop

Now half as wise
Two other commercially available waxes are Oregon Wild Hair and GoldDachs. Both are just a little softer than the Firehouse and wok for me. The Oregon uses a darker beeswax and tends to give my white 'stache a bit of a yellow color, so I had to stop using it. I also use the Clubman in conjunction with both of these. Getting ready to try my hand at making my own. Will let you know how it goes.

Two other commercially available waxes are Oregon Wild Hair and GoldDachs. Both are just a little softer than the Firehouse and wok for me. The Oregon uses a darker beeswax and tends to give my white 'stache a bit of a yellow color, so I had to stop using it. I also use the Clubman in conjunction with both of these. Getting ready to try my hand at making my own. Will let you know how it goes.

Make sure that you write everything down! Amount and kind of waxes, amount of everything else, total final volume. Geeks like me will want to know.

I tried the Gold Dachs on your comment in my other tread on wax, and I am just not sure if I'm either not using enough or my stache is just not long enough to do anything with. When I put the wax on, it holds some of the hairs down, but many of them spring out all over the place like grasses in a field. I've only been growing since 1 Nov, so I suspect that it might just be too short yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks, both of those waxes seem to be held in high regard. I'll have to put them on my list as well. I look forward to the results of your DIY experiment.

I tried the Gold Dachs on your comment in my other tread on wax, and I am just not sure if I'm either not using enough or my stache is just not long enough to do anything with. When I put the wax on, it holds some of the hairs down, but many of them spring out all over the place like grasses in a field. I've only been growing since 1 Nov, so I suspect that it might just be too short yet. Any thoughts?

This is the experience I've had with the Firehouse wax on its own. The Pinaud tames the hairs well though. I also suspect that as my stache gets longer, it will be easier to groom.

strop

Now half as wise
I'm just about out of Firehouse and GoldDachs, so I'll probably be trying this over the holidays. I will keep good records. I'm trying to source some lanolin for this as well.

How long are the hairs in your moustache at this point? If you look at some of the 'staches on the moustache forum linked, you'll see that to really get a full handlebar, the hair from the center of the lip noods to grow all the way out. I've been working on mine for 5+ years. I have a small moustache brush that I use every AM before and during waxing. I still have some hair that won't behave, and some days it looks better than others. You do have to work to "train" it at least in my experience. Keep at it. It is worth it. Goes well with French cuffs, a bow tie, and a fountain pen!

Keep at it. It is worth it. Goes well with French cuffs, a bow tie, and a fountain pen!

I just have to be presentable when we go on a cruise with my folks in March. I've informed SWMBO of my intent to go for a full handlebar. Now, I have a couple of suits and braces, a coupleof fountain pens (though there have been... issues getting my Edison delivery) and I'm planning on cufflinks for the cruise, and I'm looking real hard at a bow tie. Dr. Who ain't got NUTHIN' on me! ;) Of course, I only have one heart and no TARDIS... Or Amy Pond as a companion :w00t:

I'm just about out of Firehouse and GoldDachs, so I'll probably be trying this over the holidays. I will keep good records. I'm trying to source some lanolin for this as well.

How long are the hairs in your moustache at this point? If you look at some of the 'staches on the moustache forum linked, you'll see that to really get a full handlebar, the hair from the center of the lip noods to grow all the way out. I've been working on mine for 5+ years. I have a small moustache brush that I use every AM before and during waxing. I still have some hair that won't behave, and some days it looks better than others. You do have to work to "train" it at least in my experience. Keep at it. It is worth it. Goes well with French cuffs, a bow tie, and a fountain pen!

My mustache hair is about 1.5 inches long. It's gotten more orderly as it's gotten longer, but the hairs in the middle still aren't quite long enough to be incorporated into the handlebars and they are, of course, the most difficult to mange. They have definitely not yet been "trained." I'm almost there though. I really like the look so far.

Not a fan of clubman - it made my eyes water. Most inconvenient.

Am trying Taylors at the moment and have just bought Conks.

Ah, this site isn't only for those shaving off their facial hair. Unfortunately I have no input on the OP's question.

My two waxes that I alternate between are Dr Dittmar Original Hungarian Moustache Wax and Stern Ungarische Bartgewichse, and feel they complement each other. Dittmar has less hold, has no water content, and a pleasant vanilla - lemongrass smell, while Stern has more hold (over a shorter time). Stern is also on the expensive side, with a very small tube costing upwards of 8-10 euros.

Top Bottom