What's new

To J-Nat or not to J-Nat...

My interest is piquing in J-Nats again, and I would appreciate your input to keep things in perspective. I’m currently keeping my edges tuned on either a coticule and water or a Naniwa 8K (depends upon my mood) and finishing on a Naniwa 12K. I get about five or so shaves out of it before feeling like it’s time to touch it up. I’m not sure if this is indicative of my need to refine my own skills, its typical of synthetics, it’s typical results on any stone, I’m just too picky about my edges or something else entirely. My edges are buttery smooth. I have no complaints about how they shave. More so how long the edge lasts.

My interest has been piqued in J-Nats before. Claims of longer lasting and even smoother edges typically catch my eye. Then there’s a whole mystique surrounding them, and I find it appealing to use natural ingredients versus synthetic. But I have yet to pull the trigger on one. One deterrent this far is, while I love shaving with my straits, I don’t live for honing them. I don’t loath honing. I just don’t look forward to it the way I do my shaves. It’s more a means to an end than loving the process itself. I think that’s what I like about my Naniwas: They’re so quick and easy.

So, just recently, I’ve been asked if I’m interested in a Nakayama, Namito, Maruichi, Maruka (164x58x15) for $280 (shipped). Since I’ve eyed J-Nats in the $400 price range in the past, I started thinking maybe this was the time to pull the trigger. On the other hand, I have a pretty good routine down with my Naniwas, and perhaps this is just my HAD flaring up.

What are your thoughts? Is it worth giving it a try? Are J-Nats really that much better? Should one be more into honing than I am to venture down this path? Please help me keep this in perspective.

Thanks.

I use Jnats on occasion, and I have gone through periods where I've used them a lot.

I've never used a Naniwa, but I use a coticule pretty frequently.

I've had nice suitas, a 'claimed' Maruka Kiita and a couple of Asagi hones. None of them have been super-expensive, but they've all been pretty good in my hands.

I can get a consistent, very sharp and very smooth edge off both the Asagi and the kiita. I find these hones easier to work with on a consistent basis than anything else I've honed with (cotis, Eschers, Charnleys, etc.).

Are they magic hones that automatically put great edges on a razor? No! But they are certainly worth experimenting with to see if they match your style better.

After all my months of honing with these and other hones, I've noticed that the results off my Kiita and Asagi are pretty close, and my Asagi is larger, so the kiita is dispensable.....and I'll probably get rid of it soon.

So, my advice is: they're nice hones, and if you can afford one, you should try it out. It should put smoother edges on your blades than the hones you have (though I'll admit to getting excellent edges off my coticules too).

My interest is piquing in J-Nats again, and I would appreciate your input to keep things in perspective. I’m currently keeping my edges tuned on either a coticule and water or a Naniwa 8K (depends upon my mood) and finishing on a Naniwa 12K. I get about five or so shaves out of it before feeling like it’s time to touch it up. I’m not sure if this is indicative of my need to refine my own skills, its typical of synthetics, it’s typical results on any stone, I’m just too picky about my edges or something else entirely. My edges are buttery smooth. I have no complaints about how they shave. More so how long the edge lasts.

My interest has been piqued in J-Nats before. Claims of longer lasting and even smoother edges typically catch my eye. Then there’s a whole mystique surrounding them, and I find it appealing to use natural ingredients versus synthetic. But I have yet to pull the trigger on one. One deterrent this far is, while I love shaving with my straits, I don’t live for honing them. I don’t loath honing. I just don’t look forward to it the way I do my shaves. It’s more a means to an end than loving the process itself. I think that’s what I like about my Naniwas: They’re so quick and easy.

So, just recently, I’ve been asked if I’m interested in a Nakayama, Namito, Maruichi, Maruka (164x58x15) for $280 (shipped). Since I’ve eyed J-Nats in the $400 price range in the past, I started thinking maybe this was the time to pull the trigger. On the other hand, I have a pretty good routine down with my Naniwas, and perhaps this is just my HAD flaring up.

What are your thoughts? Is it worth giving it a try? Are J-Nats really that much better? Should one be more into honing than I am to venture down this path? Please help me keep this in perspective.

Thanks.
One fundamental difference between your coticule and Jnat is likely the character of the shave. In my experience, there are - at least visually - smoother edges on the Jnat, but that, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily relate to shave quality. Some people go ga-ga for the coti, some the Jnat. If your edges are 'buttery smooth with no complaints about the shave', they you sound good to go. Don't look to replace what works; if anything, look to complement it and have fun with something new.

Another difference is the style of honing and it's hard to say what you might find fun, engaging, whatever. I don't know that there is any big mystique with the Jnats, but I do think that they are perceived by many to be more or a 'puzzle' until you get to know them. Of course, that's part of the fun.

Worth a try? Of course.
Really that much better? Impossible to answer. Only you can tell.
Should one be more into honing than I am to venture down this path? Of course not.

My perspective...:letterk1:

IMO, there is no better method to get good results. I've honed on 5 different coticules and 6 different Jnats and with every single method or stone I received very good results, equal in their own way. I have over 100 razors and every one that came from a vendors shop or member I've rehoned before I even shaved with it, I know what what I've come to enjoy and prefer the honing of my own razors.

That being said I have come to the conclusion that I will never be satisfied with my edges no matter how smooth my shaves can get. It is now a hobby and that's what you have to ask yourself if you want honing to be a hobby (not monetary) and do you actually enjoy honing? Are you open to frustrations and set backs?

I'll also add a good stone is still under $200.

Let's start with a disclaimer: I am biased. I love honing on J-Nats and shaving with the edges they produce. There are a few things worth taking into account: a. each stone is unique, to get the most out of it you'll have to take the time to learn how to use the hone. b. similarly, some of them can be rather difficult to use. c. honing a razor from beginning to end on a J-Nat can take some time - I can produce a similar edge with synthetics and diamond paste in 1/4 the time. d. be warned: one is never enough.

Well, I tried my Maruka Kiita on a Hoshi Tombo today........wow! I 'd forgotten how nice the edge was off this hone.

Glad I kept it. :thumbup1:

I pulled out my Oozuku Asagi for my Diamond Hayashi last night and man it puts such a smooth and keen edge on.

Surprisingly, I am able to resist the HAD on J-Nats and don't feel the need to get another. The one I own is perfect.

Ah, that stone. Why did I sell it?

Yes, that stone! I've considered getting rid of it many times, as I prefer using my Asagi, but I've just never got around to doing it. It does have a really nice feel while honing --- it's wonderful to use. The end-result is great too.

The asagi, being harder, is a little harder to master, but the edges it produces are really really nice.

Yes, that stone! I've considered getting rid of it many times, as I prefer using my Asagi, but I've just never got around to doing it. It does have a really nice feel while honing --- it's wonderful to use. The end-result is great too.

The asagi, being harder, is a little harder to master, but the edges it produces are really really nice.

Yeah, I don't have that bike anymore either. I had to sell all but one, and my Iro Mark V had to go!

I do have my big 8"x3" Nakayama Maruka, though. I should give it more use.

That sucks (selling your Mark V). I still have my Mark V Pro, but I had to get rid of a bunch of bikes before I moved to CT. Still have a few, though. Mine got a dent in the top tube......fell over on a bike rack. I'm still pissed about that.

Your Maruka....it's a kiita/asagi mix right? Or did you say that you thought it might be a suita?

That sucks (selling your Mark V). I still have my Mark V Pro, but I had to get rid of a bunch of bikes before I moved to CT. Still have a few, though. Mine got a dent in the top tube......fell over on a bike rack. I'm still pissed about that.

Your Maruka....it's a kiita/asagi mix right? Or did you say that you thought it might be a suita?

It's one of those. I'm not entirely sure how to tell what exactly it is. Sorry to hear about the dent in your top tube, though!

Top Bottom