What's new

To inject or not to inject? That is the question.

Good evening again all fellow shavers.

I keep hearing about 'injector' razors. I do know what they are; I have seen various clips on YouTube. And I do like how you never need to touch the blade when injecting a new one into the razor.

Is there a serious advantage to an injector razor over a DE one? Are the razors and blades proprietary or will any injector blade will work with any injector razor? Are new injector razors being made? Is there a large choice of injector blades like the DE blades?

Jason.

Like all single edges blades, injector blades are made from thicker stock than de blades. This can be an advantage or disadvantage, they cost a bit more, tend to last a bit longer (for me), and cut through thicker hair without deflecting.

For the most part injector blades work in all injector razors the only exception off the top of my head are the Japanese twinjector blades, they do not work in the oldest injector razors. As a matter of fact they can damage them.

The only new injector razors I know of are the supply razor and the Parker variable injector.

There are really only three options for injector blades, Chinese schick blades, Personna injector blades (often rebranded as something else), and the hard to find and expensive Japanese twin blades.

I like injector razors a lot, I find every injector blade serviceable so I use the most affordable ones. Those are the Personna blades, they can be had for around 20 cents each last I checked. It has been a while though, I really stocked up last time.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. One thing I like about DE blades is the careful unwrapping of the paper envelope before putting the blade in the razor. To me that is part of the 'ritual' if you see what I mean.

Jason.
There is ritual as well with injectors, but different

Easing the injector key into the slot on the razor, ejecting the used blade and then doing a back and forth of the slider to inject the new blade into the razor

I do agree that injectors are incredible and every wet shaver should at least give them a try. Most vintage Schick and Pal injector razors are very inexpensive compared to most vintage and modern DE razors and it's just that the blades are a bit more expensive, but since have no problems using the Personna blades, which are the most inexpensive compared to the Chicks, Twins, Proline and vintage, it makes it much easy for me.

I suggest you finding a Schick adjustable type M, regardless of the model. I find them to be very good and since they are adjustable, you pretty much have a few razors into one.

Good evening again all fellow shavers.

I keep hearing about 'injector' razors. I do know what they are; I have seen various clips on YouTube. And I do like how you never need to touch the blade when injecting a new one into the razor.

Is there a serious advantage to an injector razor over a DE one? Are the razors and blades proprietary or will any injector blade will work with any injector razor? Are new injector razors being made? Is there a large choice of injector blades like the DE blades?

Jason.
Ive got an Injector that my wife bought me in an antique store. Its OK, definetly not my favorite though. I just find it to be way too aggressive. If I dont use the lightest possible touch, I will get nicks and irritation with it.
Ive got some of the worst razor burn and weepers that Ive ever gotten with my Injector.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I gotta tell you, if you can find yourself an E type or G type schick injector it will NOT be aggressive, and it will be a very comfortable, and close shave for you.

I am amazed at how fast you are moving into this hobby. There seem to be more of these old razors available here in the states, but if you can find one, you will not be disappointed. Chick blades are just fine. They go longer, but I use them for a week, easy.

20210910_shave.jpg

There are really only three options for injector blades, Chinese schick blades, Personna injector blades (often rebranded as something else), and the hard to find and expensive Japanese twin blades.

Don’t forget about Schick Prolines. I like them better than the Chinese Schicks as of now, but the jury’s still out as I’m still working on technique.

Yes you should try an Injector.

AND then let’s get crazy and get you a MMOC (GEM MicroMatic Open Comb)!

Seriously though, there are great razors in all formats and changing it up is so much fun.

Additionally, your technique will improve from trying different razor formats.

Go for it and have fun.

p.s. You didn’t really think we were going to discourage you, right?

Don’t forget about Schick Prolines. I like them better than the Chinese Schicks as of now, but the jury’s still out as I’m still working on technique.
Ahh yes the schick b-20's, they are good blades as well but they do not come in an injector pack so they have to be put into a pack with a key to use.

Ive got an Injector that my wife bought me in an antique store. Its OK, definetly not my favorite though. I just find it to be way too aggressive. If I dont use the lightest possible touch, I will get nicks and irritation with it.
Ive got some of the worst razor burn and weepers that Ive ever gotten with my Injector.
Wow! Exactly the opposite from my experience. All the DE razors I've tried, and there were plenty, required a light touch or I had cuts and weepers. Once I tried an injector razor, I was hooked and never looked back.

Wow! Exactly the opposite from my experience. All the DE razors I've tried, and there were plenty, required a light touch or I had cuts and weepers. Once I tried an injector razor, I was hooked and never looked back.
While YMMV is true, I will chime in that I had/have the same experience! So much so that I am willingly jumping into the injector and other SE rabbit hole!

Probably the single greatest difference for me between DEs and injectors is the variety available or lack thereof. There are hundreds of DE razors and blades with a great deal of variety. Injectors were (and still are) on the fringe. They were never as popular as DE razors. There isn’t much variety in razors or blades comparatively.

However, what they lack in variety they make up for in shave quality and overall ease of use. It took me a fair amount of practice to get it just right but once I did I now get wonderful, smooth, close DFS+ shaves with basically no effort. I like the angle and find it to be very natural.

That extends beyond just the shave. Injector razors are way easier to maintain IMO. The blades last a long time and changing them doesn’t require fidgeting with a blade. I have some dexterity issues and it can be a problem for me sometimes. When I’m done shaving, I rinse it well, shake the excess water off and let it air dry. Next shave, pick it up and start. DEs always seem to need some futzing with to get started.

This is all completely subjective of course, standard YMMV disclaimer applies, etc. I do think that everyone should at least try an injector at some point though.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I still use an injector but not on a regular basis. The injector is different from a Single Edge or double edge razor. I believe it was the predecessor to cartridge razors. Are they good? Yes, I think so. Blades are a bit more expensive but they last a bit longer than a regular DE blade (well, in my case).

Top Bottom