What's new

To fatip... or not

The FOCS has been a game changer for me. I've tried a dozen different blades in it and every single one gives me a bbs. Every single one. Something about the slant and the cutting action makes the most of every blade.

It's such an amazing razor that I truly can barely tell the difference between an old Derby Green, a GSB, a Rubie, a Kai, or even Treet carbon blades!

The only differences I'm finding between blades in the FOCS is slight differences in harshness, longetivity, and how long it takes for whiskers to reappear. A feather is too harsh for me in a FOCS but I don't like them in any razor.

My shaves with the FOCS rival those with a straight razor, and I've had some good ones including kamisori. And the FOCS does it in 1/3 the time.

I wish the FOCS has existed when I was just starting out because it's been everything I was looking for. And what I was looking for is in line with what you said you're looking for.

The FOCS looks like a beast but it shaves like a dream. Efficient and smooth.

I also have a Schone open comb (great razor) and I can tell a big difference between blades and their cutting ability. Again, the FOCS slant is completely different for me.

It shaves closely, gently, and with the least irritation of any razor I've ever used. It gives me a beautiful audible feedback too.

The FOCS also rewards good technique. Perfect for someone still learning. It's also relatively cheap, also perfect for a newbie.

I have a FOCS piccolo as well as an originale. Even though I have extra large hands I prefer the piccolo because it's heavier but smaller so it's more maneuverable and I think the weight helps too. If you like a fatter handle get the originale. I'm glad to have both.

The FOCS cured my rad. And I haven't used another razor since I got it. Why would I? If I used anything else I'd just be missing out on time with the FOCS!

Thank you all for the great advice. My choice between the FOCS and the special edition piccolo is clear now.

Slight doubts between the normal or the piccolo handle.... my first idea is to go with the normal version, witch already has a small handle... Piccolo is smaller and slimmer (never used such small handles) but heavier (and tht's a plus).

Anyway, since i hear so many good things about the FOCS this will be the one I order with my next purchase.

Yes, yes.. Early arrival today :001_tt1:.
IMG_20210408_104228567.jpg

IMG_20210408_104032777.jpg

IMG_20210408_104051770.jpg

First impression: Love at first sight.
Second impression: Quality seems more then ok, all as it should be. Blade loading/removal without any problem and blade alignment looks fine.
First shave: Wow and I will repeat it again... WOW.
Superclose 3 pass shave (no touch-ups needed) on a 40hrs-stubble with a new personna blue lab blade.
At first sight this is an aggressive and a dangerous razor but it isn't.
Supersmooth and effective, as stated by many in this forum...
Maybe I was a bit uncarefull with the pressure because it gave me a couple of weepers.
But shave was superclose without any irritation.
All in all a 9/10 first shave, this can only get better....

Very happy with this one...

Just received a Fatip Testina Gentile and gave it a quick shave last night. Just a note these are not the Slant models but the Gentile and Open comb with the Grande handles. The Gentile was really enjoyable and didn't seem to have any alignment issues unless I loosened the head and tried to move the blade, this was still hard and had resistance. Overall extremely impressed and will need more time before making too many opinions about it other than it is much better than my Fatip open comb as far as fit and finish (this has looser alignment issues). The open comb is an in between generation blue box with the newer art yet single size and the razor was loose in the box (circa 2016?). The Gentlile has similar box colour and art yet the box is wider and the razor sat in inner packaging if that makes any difference. One interesting observation was that the Gentile left trails of shaving soap similar to an open comb, not like any of my safety bar razors and really enjoyed this! As a note I am a steep angle mild razor shaver that has a beard with thick hair and only shave my neck area.

Cheers,
Cafebarian

I’m a happy FOCS user. No alignment or other QC problem with mine.

My other slant DE is an Above the Tie S-1, a closed comb slant in stainless steel. For me, the S-1 is far more enjoyable to use than the open comb S-2. (itself a sweet DE).

So I’m wondering: How about the Fatip closed comb slant? Does it have any of the magic that the FOCS has?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

My other slant DE is an Above the Tie S-1, a closed comb slant in stainless steel. For me, the S-1 is far more enjoyable to use than the open comb S-2. (itself a sweet DE).

So I’m wondering: How about the Fatip closed comb slant? Does it have any of the magic that the FOCS has?

Some, but I sold mine.

Having read the whole thread *Fatip Slant* many prefer the Open comb and not much information on the Closed comb slant... Also interested in more info on it. As a neck only shaver, thinking slants would be tricky to maintain a neat neck line?

Yes, yes.. Early arrival today :001_tt1:.
View attachment 1248350
View attachment 1248352
View attachment 1248353

First impression: Love at first sight.
Second impression: Quality seems more then ok, all as it should be. Blade loading/removal without any problem and blade alignment looks fine.
First shave: Wow and I will repeat it again... WOW.
Superclose 3 pass shave (no touch-ups needed) on a 40hrs-stubble with a new personna blue lab blade.
At first sight this is an aggressive and a dangerous razor but it isn't.
Supersmooth and effective, as stated by many in this forum...
Maybe I was a bit uncarefull with the pressure because it gave me a couple of weepers.
But shave was superclose without any irritation.
All in all a 9/10 first shave, this can only get better....

Very happy with this one...

Congratulations! Smart move!

It will only get better. I find focusing on just one razor for a while really gives you the luxury of perfecting your technique. And the FOCS really really rewards good technique.

Master it and you'll have masterful shaves.

My experience has been that any old blade gives me fantastic results in my FOCS. I think the slanted cutting action gives any sharp blade the opportunity to slice whiskers well.

Of course some are gentler or smoother or longer lasting than others. But an old Derby green gives me a bbs in my FOCS whereas it causes much grief in my other non-slant razors. I have good luck with Bolzano in all my razors but they're pretty great in my FOCS. I find Kai to be sublime in my FOCS. Spectacular! As do others. I don't much like Feather anywhere but they're most tolerable in my FOCS, a testament to its incredible gentleness as well. I get about 3 shaves out of all the stainless blades, maybe four out of a Russian gillette blade.

Best of all I'm getting absolutely incredible shaves with carbon blades. Especially the cheapest most basic Black Beauties. The others are good too but they're coated and therefore "sharper" and more harsh. I get an easy six shaves out of Treet Black Beauties (and the other carbons too) and they only cost me five and a half cents each. And they're the best, smoothest, most fantastic shaves I've ever had in 10+ years of ambitious DE shaving.

The trick with the carbon blades is to go slower. As in slow down your stroke movement. Maybe a little more than half your normal speed. I always cork the blade first, which I don't do with stainless. And after a few shaves it seems like it's tugging a little, like a stainless blade that's almost over. Maybe palm strop your carbon blade or just shave as it is, even with a slight tugging. Maybe slow down a little more. That's where the shaves get otherworldly, a whole new level of gentle closeness, beyond bbs with zero irritation.

So experiment with blades. Because your new FOCS will open up a whole new world! New blades, great shaves, and it rewards your ever increasing familiarity and skill.

Ironically, at the same time I've unlocked new blade and shave potential I've also discovered the limitations of shave soaps and creams. I find hand lathering to make all the difference with a thin lather that's the slickest possible. I've found that photogenic brush lather is too thick to allow the blade in the FOCS to get close enough to shave to its fullest potential. And it's gentle but close nature allows me to get the most bbs of bbs.

I do a couple passes and then buff everywhere that needs it. Hand rubbing the slick lather around as I go. Because the FOCS is so gentle I can buff much more than with other razors and with care and experimentation you'll reach a place you never knew could be so good!

Anyway, dial in your technique and then experiment some. Let the results be your only guide.

Ask not what your shaves can do for you but what you can do for your shaves!

Top Bottom