What's new

To fatip... or not

Hi, after 3 months of discovering the wonderfull world of DE shaving I am ready for another razor.
At the moment I have a Muhle Rytmo (R89) and a Muhle R41. The first one is to mild for me, even after shimming. I always need 3 passes plus a lot of touch-ups (especially chin and upper neck area). Tried a lot of different blades but that does'nt do the trick. The R41 is in my opinion a bit to aggressive and harsh for every day shaving.

What I want and (don't) like:
- a BBS every day shave.
- a more aggressive but still comfortable razor.
- Not a light razor like the RR Lupo.
- Reasonably cheap.
- I like to hear the blade
- No adjustables or butterflies because of the big head.

So after loads of review reading the Fatip co. caught my eye. I am aware their razors have sometimes alignment problems, but that's not an issue for me. Now i have to choose between the Picollo Special edition (open + closed comb - gentille), 2 kind of razors for the price of one, and i like the black/gold look. and I hear a lot of great things about their slant, la storto FOCS. Here my biggest question is if it still will be comforfable..

Witch one do you recommend and why..
Or is their another suggestion for an upgrade?

Thx for your advice.

There is a stainless version of the Lupo (Lupo SS .95), or is that too light too? I don't think any of the Fatips will be heftier.
I had the FOCS, for many it is quite smooth and efficient, for me it didn't work out. I (bi)daily an R41, the FOCS is nowhere near in aggression. The FOCS (like most slants) is quite quiet. I think it is a good thing, the blade is more rigid. I was afraid of finish/alignment issues, but mine was perfect.

P.s.: I'm also considering the Lupo SS .95 (among others).

Go(lden)-FOCS! :c9:

Smooth and efficient, no worries about the black wearing off and you can still deceide if you take it with a Piccolo or Grande handle.
IMG_0349.jpg

No personal experience, but reading this board, many would recommend Game Changer to you over the Lupo. A pricier option might be Edwin Jagger 3one6, with a slim head that increases efficiency to fall between the R89 and R41.

I can personally recommend the Karve, probably C, D or E plate from your described preferences.

I like the Fatip Slant quite a lot, the standard Fatip OC is also very good. I see less reason to get the Testina Gentile, it is no smoother and does not shave as well as the standard Fatip OC. I'd suggest the Fatip Slant with either the Piccolo handle or Grande handle, depending on your preference, as the best overall. If you just want to experiment with Fatip, the standard Piccolo in nickel finish can be found for around $20.

fixed-four-base-4.png

linty1

My wallet cries.
"not a light razor like the rr lupo"

If you do like the head on the lupo, just don't care for the handle you coukd try swappig the handle out? But it will change the balance dynamic, but a thought.

Personally I tend to like milder razors, but one that is a little more aggressive is this bakelite razor I have? Its light though.

If you are inclined for a Fatip, you can still find on Amazon the Nickel Schöne razor, it's a Fatip made razor with a better finishing at a great price.

IMG_Thota_Vaikuntam_20210115_145817_processed.jpg

Classic OC head with less teeth and Grande style handle.

Cheers

I have the Piccilo special edition oc and sb and the FOCS.The Piccilo i have to shim with two shims to get a close bbs shave on both the open comb and solid bar .The FOCS bites going against the grain and I find I dont use it.My Rockwell 6s Is smoother and more efficient than both of these razors and more versatile for me and is my go to.

I have the Piccolo MK1, the SE and the FOCS - I love all of them but my favourite is the MK1.

The SE, being the MK2 geometry, has a smidgen less grunt but is still much more efficient than an R89 I would say and the FOCS is much the same but a bit smoother.

If your looking for something between the R89 and R41 then a MK2 Piccolo (SE or standard finish) or a FOCS will definitely suit your needs.

I guess I would need to know what you mean by "reasonably cheap". Certainly the Fatip razors are great for the price you pay. I find the FOCS to be smoother and more efficient than the Fatip Piccolo or Grande open comb (same head on both). Personally, however, I find the Blackland Dart, Muhle Rocca and the Edwin Jagger to be smoother than the FOCS, and all three are superior to the FOCS in terms of fit and finish. I think any one of those three or the FOCS would meet your performance requirements, but the FOCS is about $35 and those others are about three times that price.

The special combo is a good option, 2 for $35. Interestingly the CC gives me some irritation but the OC is smoother and gets a closer shave..... *btw, these two are not going to be better than Muhle*. The Lupo SS with dual head is a far better razor than Fatip....by a lot.

Thx for all the advice so far.

Other suggested razors are 3 times the price of a fatip, sadly... And since I'm only a beginner don't want to spend +100 euros for a razor i'm not sure i gonna like..

And since i am european amazon.com is'nt an option in most cases (import taxes and high shipping prices). European amazon sites (.nl, .it, .de ...) are more limited in choises compared to the .com

As I can read the FOCS is the smoothest compared to the straight heads. So maybe this is my safest option.

Thx for all the advice so far.

Other suggested razors are 3 times the price of a fatip, sadly... And since I'm only a beginner don't want to spend +100 euros for a razor i'm not sure i gonna like..

And since i am european amazon.com is'nt an option in most cases (import taxes and high shipping prices). European amazon sites (.nl, .it, .de ...) are more limited in choises compared to the .com

As I can read the FOCS is the smoothest compared to the straight heads. So maybe this is my safest option.
Rasoigoodfellas Italy
Dambiro Germany
Gifts and Care Spain
are your friends if you want to shop aside from Amazon or eBay

Hi, after 3 months of discovering the wonderfull world of DE shaving I am ready for another razor.
At the moment I have a Muhle Rytmo (R89) and a Muhle R41. The first one is to mild for me, even after shimming. I always need 3 passes plus a lot of touch-ups (especially chin and upper neck area). Tried a lot of different blades but that does'nt do the trick. The R41 is in my opinion a bit to aggressive and harsh for every day shaving.

What I want and (don't) like:
- a BBS every day shave.
- a more aggressive but still comfortable razor.
- Not a light razor like the RR Lupo.
- Reasonably cheap.
- I like to hear the blade
- No adjustables or butterflies because of the big head.

So after loads of review reading the Fatip co. caught my eye. I am aware their razors have sometimes alignment problems, but that's not an issue for me. Now i have to choose between the Picollo Special edition (open + closed comb - gentille), 2 kind of razors for the price of one, and i like the black/gold look. and I hear a lot of great things about their slant, la storto FOCS. Here my biggest question is if it still will be comforfable..

Witch one do you recommend and why..
Or is their another suggestion for an upgrade?

Thx for your advice.
Hi sandorfi,

I started wet shaving a month after the first COVID lockdown. My first purchase was the Supply Single Edge. A lot of marketing but the thing did not work for me. Then I saw a picture of the Fatip Picollo Special Edition and bought it. It's a beauty. No problems with blade alignment at all. The weight is perfectly balanced, it's a joy to use. I must admit that the quality of the finish is not that good. After a little less than a year the lacquer on the top cap started peeling of at the edges and at this moment the brass is slightly shining through. The gold combs are not affected. Now the crazy thing is that I do not like it any less for that.Maybe the nickel picollo is a better option? But the special edition allows you to try out both combs...
Just a few weeks ago The Muhle R89 (Rose gold) was on special at Connaught Shaving. I ordered it with an extra open comb. On Thursday I shaved for the first time with the Muhle+open comb and the single provided Muhle blade. This morning I shaved with the Fatip Picollo with open comb and a Bolzano blade that I used for the third time.
I use Proraso preshave and Tabac shaving soap. I basically shave twice a week.
The verdict? I prefer the Fatip... it gave me a very comparable but still slightly closer shave (with a previously used blade). The Fatip's solid brass handle has a diametre of 1 cm, the hollow Muhle 1.25 cm. The Muhle is about 1.5 cm longer. It is obvious the Muhle has a better finish but is has no soul to it. The Muhle's hollow handle somehow makes the razor feel cheaper, while the Fatip feels like a sturdy man-made tool. I'd believe the Fatip's brass has an edge over the Muhle's zamac? Maybe it's habit I don't know... I just feel extremely comfortable with the way the Fatip handles. Since a short while I now also shave the area under the chin against the grain in the first pass, with the open comb. It gives me less irritation than going with the grain first pass and against the grain second pass.
On my wish list right now is the Fatip Il Storto Picollo. (I understand the grande also has a hollow handle like the Muhle and I want to avoid the disappointment...) and the Fatip Zebrano or Olive. And maybe even the picollo in nickel. I am going open comb only now. Comments on using the open comb scared me off in the beginning. Maybe my technique has improved after a year?
Oh, I also have an aluminium Razorock Hawk with the single edge feather blades. It also gave a close shave but I do not like the light handle and the shave head is just a little to wide to my liking.
My advice: try the Fatip, you can do it without breaking the bank!
500D11BD-AE5B-44C3-9C7D-98E041B6693B_1_105_c.jpeg
E437339B-6FE6-45BB-856A-F417F230CA40_1_105_c.jpeg

Top Bottom