What's new

"To every thing there is a season..."

I am interested in establishing a rotation for my colognes/after shaves, and one particularily interesting question is which fragrances are better suited for the warm/cold period, and which ones are good to use all through the year. I read someplace that Trafalgar is considered not so good during the summer, as the fragrance can get a bit strong/abrupt?

Here's a list of stuff I have, and some initial guesses. I started my DE journey and acquired some new colognes/AS during the coldest weather of the year, so as of yet I have no idea how the fragrances open up in the warm. I guess some might be a little overpowering?

Castle Forbes 1445 +-
Floid Suave (Spanish) +
Pinaud Clubman +
Pinaud Bay Rum +-
T&H Freshman +-
T&H Spanish Leather +-
T&H Trafalgar -
T&H 1805

I marked those fragrances which I am guessing would perform better in summertime with a +, and those which are better for winter with a -. A +- means I am guessing these will perform well throughout the year. So this is just initial impression, rather than anything based on experience. On 1805 I have no real experience as of yet, the balm being rather mild.

On a more general level, what makes a fragrance seasonal, is it the power of the odour, sweetness, certain components, cooling effect, etc? Or this really a non-issue, and the real question is which fragrances are good for the office, and which for the evening wear? I realise that a true winter is difficult case, because it's very cold (at least where I live), but let's use winter here to generalise the colder seasons, ok? I would appreciate your opinions and advice.

Last edited:
Pinaud Bay Rum +-
Pinaud Lime Sec +
Tabac +-
Pinaud Special Reserve -
Pinaud Musk +-
Pleasures; Anytime according to Mrs. Leche

they will do different things depending on your skin chemistry (like how brut smells like wet dog on me in summer)

generally though, i like the lighter citrus stuff in summer, and the heavy wood stuff in winter

Colognes currently in my rotation:

Acqua di Parma Intensa +
Domenico Caraceni +-
GFT GFT +
GFT SL -
GFT Sandalwood +-
Knize Forest -
Knize Sec +-
Knize Ten -
Knize Two +

Top Bottom