What's new

to condition a leather jacket or not?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hello, I received a varsity jacket with leather sleeves, "Tribe Leather"? Do I need to condition it? And with what? I did a search and there are both "yes to keep it from cracking" and "no, I've never had to do it" answers and no consensus, and many diff opinions on which product to use. What say you?

I say yes, because leather dries out over time. I've had good success with a product called Bick 4 which is a cream conditioner. It has worked well on boots, shoes, handbags, jackets and leather furniture. It does not have a lot of smell and does not leave oily stains.

Hello, I received a varsity jacket with leather sleeves, "Tribe Leather"? Do I need to condition it? And with what? I did a search and there are both "yes to keep it from cracking" and "no, I've never had to do it" answers and no consensus, and many diff opinions on which product to use. What say you?
Definitely condition it. Many good conditioners on Amazon.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It would need some sort of conditioning to keep it from drying out too much and cracking. I am in Australia so not much choice me recommending anything as you probably cannot get it over where you are.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I've been using Venetian Shoe Cream since the 1960's...It's the best, and that's also the opinion of Horween Leathers , and they know leather !...This cream will work on any leather , except suede and buck..... Home - https://www.zoesmfgco.com/

Hi, thanks for the tip, although from what I can google, "tribe leather" seems to be closely related to Nubuck leather (having said that would the lexol still be appropriate?)

+4 on Lexol. Both the cleaner and conditioner. Been using it for decades on my Cadillac leather interiors and it works very well. Was advised to use this 30+ years ago on my first 1970 Cadillac by it's previous owner, my mechanic. Kept those seats pliant and supple.

This is not to say there are not equivalent or better products out there, I just don't know about them.

Chris

I have motorcycle jackets and chaps that are 20+ years old. Smooth leather. I grease them down with a heavy coat of mink oil and hang them in the sun. The mink oil soaks in. The leather is still in great shape even though they have seen tens of thousands of miles, many of them in the rain.

Hi, thanks for the tip, although from what I can google, "tribe leather" seems to be closely related to Nubuck leather (having said that would the lexol still be appropriate?)
If it is not smooth leather you probably need something made for suede and nubuck.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Is it a smooth finish or a slightly rough finish?

Its a slightly rough finish, "hand rubbed" according to the website.. I -do- have nubuck protector spray (nikwax), just looking for an appropriate conditioner that will cover two sleeves, I see the lexol comes in 1L jugs that would convienient

My research has produced the recommendation of spraying lexol onto a horsehair brush and brushing it in. The result is a temporary darkening of the leather that apparently fades back to original color.

Top Bottom