What's new

to comedogenic or not to comedogenic ;) balea, nivea, proraso

Hello fellow shavers!!

i would really appreciate all and any input on comedogenic products for shaving, let me elaborate, i'll try to be as concise as i can, i have recently discovered that comedogenic products can easily be the cause of whiteheads which i seem to get after nearly every shave, at first i thought it to be shavers, blades, etc etc then i got into reading and discovered that the products i use have various oils and compounds that are derived from oils in them...

i trust the biggest culprit for my last mine filed like appearance of whiteheads on my chin and to a lesser extent on my jaw line was actually a sensitive face cream by balea, imaginatively named balea sensitive day cream (tagescreme in german i presume) i have since replaced this as my moisturiser and have been using neutrogena hydro boost water gel for 2 days and as far as i can see and feel, it's fine.

I read that one of our fellow members deems that a little oil (coconut in this case) will not clog your pores and should be fine, but alas, i am a layman regarding cosmetics and dermatology so i cannot gauge what is a lot and what isn't plus the manufacturers list ingredients without listing how much of each is used...

As i am healing my face to the point i can use a DE razor (King C Gillette) safely, without cutting myself, i am planning on having a shave today using a philips one blade...but i am however reluctant to use shaving cream (Proraso sensitive cream, nice smell BTW) or shaving gel (king c giullette transparent gel not really any concrete opinion of it) having read that both contain oils and/or derivatives of oils...the fusion gel i also have has almond oil in it...

Taking the aforementioned into consideration i will today have a dry shave after which i will not use an alum block let alone balm i will just use a splash, most probably the proraso...and i'll see how it goes from there...

I would really appreciate any info from anyone on (non) comedogenic products, namely, the ones i have and can use (i live in a third world country so supplies are quite a chore to come by) i will entail a s short list of possible comedogenic culprits whitehead wise:

- balea sensitive (tagescreme) day cream
- nivea men creme
- nivea sensitive aftershave balm
- proraso sensitive white shaving soap
- king c gillette shaving gel

i believe that i am in fact the most average guy on the planet, logic dictates that what suits the majority of people will also suit me :)

i trust and hope that the three splashes i have aren't comedogenic and seeing as i won't be using a blade today they will be fine as aftershave

also if any had a similar experience please feel free to share

Thanks and cheers

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Welcome to Badger and Blade :)

As I'm not a dermatologist, I'm not licensed to give you medical advice on skin treatments, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

From the sound of it, you are already finding your way through the skin jungle, to find products without oils. It sounds like you have an allergic reaction to said oils though.

Idk if your country have dermatologists, but I suggest seeing one for expert medical advice. But most important thing to remember, is to not give up.

I have faith in you, that you will find the way. :)

Welcome to Badger and Blade :)

As I'm not a dermatologist, I'm not licensed to give you medical advice on skin treatments, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

From the sound of it, you are already finding your way through the skin jungle, to find products without oils. It sounds like you have an allergic reaction to said oils though.

Idk if your country have dermatologists, but I suggest seeing one for expert medical advice. But most important thing to remember, is to not give up.

I have faith in you, that you will find the way. :)
Hi again !!!
first thanks for your reply, i am truly impressed by the warmth i feel on this forum, everyone is so nice and welcoming so kudos to you and everyone reading and participating.

(i say "on this forum", as i am a member of various forums, the "worst" reception and generally the forum with the rudest members was actually a forum about watches, i even had someone try and insult me, deplorable really, i am also a member of a UK car forum, audi cars in question, lovely folks there as well, i actually got some very sound advice and real help regarding car parts)

Alas, we do indeed have dermatologists here (i am now in and from Sarajevo, grew up and educated to an extent in Chelsea, the third world reference was aimed more at our political hierarchy, corruption, neanderthal mentality etc etc geographically we are bang in the middle of Europe :) ) and my Mother is actually a doctor herself, which actually is quite a hindrance because she is quite well known here and if here son were to show up at any doctor's door she would know and in turn start worrying, something i try and avoid at all costs if i at all can, she is very protective of me, God bless her.

I did however most definitely visit a dermatologist,a few years back, the best one around actually, and although my recollection of what she said is patchy at best, what i am quite certain she said was that i had "ultra sensitive" skin, i think she used the suns rays and how they "burn" my skin in a very short period of time as an example, i do get a nice tan quite easily so it's not that bad, and she said i need to use sun cream more than i do...i was actually confused for being Portuguese by an Italian so i console myself by telling myself i have a tan, in truth i believe im plain ordinary :)
(at the time i visited her i was using philips hair clippers to shave, 5 series i believe them to be, quite good actually they shave down to 0.4 mm)

I would like to thank you again for your welcome, i believe you were the first to welcome me here on my previous thread, i really do appreciate this.

About giving up...wet shaving has been wonderful so far for me even if i am certainly lousy at it, i've had 5 shaves with a DE for now, two of those not 100% sober at that :)

i do believe i have a touch of hereditary OCD which the shaving world is ideal for, so i am really enjoying "the journey", i hope i have picked up certain things one needs to adhere to in order not to butcher oneself, something i have frequently done using 5 bladed contraptions (hydro 5, proglide, fusion etc etc), i definitely wont be going against the grain for a while, with the grain and across, more than fine for me...but i want my skin to heal to an acceptable level of smoothness so i don't cut myself using a blade...until this occurs i will be using the one blade, i hope during the period of usage with said product that my skin will be nice and healthy and ready for my experienced hands to practice on...with a blade :)

if all goes well, i am thinking of upgrading to a merkur 34 G in the future, yes the G variant, i seem to like rose gold, my wedding ring is rose gold...i also discovered i can get BIC chrome blades here, i already have 4 more king c gillettes and platinums seem to be easy to come by so in a word JOY!

anyway, i'm rambling on again, i do apologise, thank you again sir and have a lovely day :)

(i hope i didn't just call someone who is a teenager sir, if i did, i am sorry)

Welcome aboard!

Wish I were a dermatologist, but I have little or no information on this problem.

Welcome aboard!

Wish I were a dermatologist, but I have little or no information on this problem.
Hello BigJ, thank you, glad to be here!
alas, i did shave last night, albeit with a philips one blade, i exfoliated before hand with a sugar and chia scrub by Balea, the device does really deliver a good shave provided you can actually see what you are doing, i have additional lights on the mirror we use in the bathroom, sadly both are on the blink so i'll get an electrician in to sort that out, if had been able to see i believe i would have achieved a DFS, at least from what i understand one to be...
after the shave i washed my face with warm water, aligned my sideburns using a DE razor (king c gillette with proprietary blades) and used the proraso green splash straight...
the shave is fine but i do still have some discoloration which can only bee seen close up but non the less it's still there...i actually might go and see the dermatologist if not only for her to reiterate that i have ultra sensitive skin that goes red from someone just looking at it let alone shaving it with anything...i seem to have one whitehead on my chin, quite small, haven't annihilated it yet ;)
another thing, i actually take more time to shave with the one blade as opposed to a DE razor...go figure...
i'll try and find a barber or hair saloon that has some tabac so i can give it a whiff it's supposed to be very manly, i might like it...
anyway have a great day and thanks for saying hi and welcoming me :)

Top Bottom