What's new

To breach the breach or not to breach the breach? (I don't get it)

I saw on mantic59's video to fix the problem of getting a runny lather after the initial one is has to do w/ the breach being broken. But i've also heard that we are supposed to lather and "pump" down, (thus breaking the breach) to get good lather into the middle of the brush. I don't know if i'm just not getting it or what, but so when are we supposed to push down to break the breach and when are we NOT supposed to?

My initial pass w/ my soap is good (i still think a little dry), but after that, i'm just trying to squeeze out every last bit of creaminess left in the thing.

...help....?

Same issue here - I actually corresponded with mantic about it, because it appeared in one other video he was really pushing down on the brush (the Coates shaving cream one). He explained that was due to his excitement over the reappearance of the Coatest cream.

However I find that I actually have to push down on the brush to properly load it with soap. And yes, passes 2 and 3 tend to be thinner and more watery.

Maybe it's a problem with our brushes? I use a Tulip T3 two-band in super.

I face-lather.

I had the same issue as well. After some experimenting I found I was too much water in the brush. I backed off on the water to the point where I have to add some. Once I did that I was fine. I also found that wetting your face before applying the cream helps out a lot. So, either use less water or more cream.

I've found that NOT mashing down the brush into the soap while loading gets me much better results than doing so. I now load "at the tips" only and I find that enough lather permeates into the breach and therefore the brush is homogeneously saturated with lather. My 2nd and 3rd passes are just as creamy as the first in this manner.

YMMV

I saw on mantic59's video to fix the problem of getting a runny lather after the initial one is has to do w/ the breach being broken. But i've also heard that we are supposed to lather and "pump" down, (thus breaking the breach) to get good lather into the middle of the brush. I don't know if i'm just not getting it or what, but so when are we supposed to push down to break the breach and when are we NOT supposed to?

My initial pass w/ my soap is good (i still think a little dry), but after that, i'm just trying to squeeze out every last bit of creaminess left in the thing.

...help....?

Same issue here - I actually corresponded with mantic about it, because it appeared in one other video he was really pushing down on the brush (the Coates shaving cream one). He explained that was due to his excitement over the reappearance of the Coatest cream.

However I find that I actually have to push down on the brush to properly load it with soap. And yes, passes 2 and 3 tend to be thinner and more watery.

Maybe it's a problem with our brushes? I use a Tulip T3 two-band in super.

I face-lather.

I had the same issue as well. After some experimenting I found I was too much water in the brush. I backed off on the water to the point where I have to add some. Once I did that I was fine. I also found that wetting your face before applying the cream helps out a lot. So, either use less water or more cream.

Don't know how long you all have been using brush & Soap/ Cream, but when I started, I used a watch and timed my loading and found I was ~ 20- 25 seconds. I increased my load time; Boar ~1:45, Badger ~1 minute, and practiced every day for ~ month using 4 different brushes(2 Boar, a Horse & Badger) learning the differences in Hair Characteristics and the different Soaps& Creams.

Lathering Soaps: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21136

Creams: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150737

I've recently increased my soap lathering to a count of 60, then took it down to 30-45 because I was just getting too much product in there (using Cella).

Maybe I should to it to a count of 90 but not push down as much?

i think that breaking the breech thing is a myth. I am very very gentle with my brush, always using just the tips and I'll sometimes get watery gross ooze from the breech when i squeeze my brush at the end. I found this only happens when my brush is too wet when I start. If i start with a mostly squeezed out brush I never have a sloppy breech even if i am deliberately rough with the brush...

Top Bottom