What's new

To any Jewish members have a Wonderful Chanukah

Happy Chanukah . It may be Thanksgiving here in the States but I wish all of our Jewish Members a happy Chanukah , and if you celebrate Thanksgiving a happy one at that as well.

Thank you, sir!

Chanukah is fine example of the common theme among so many Jewish holidays:

1. They tried to kill us.
  2. We won.
  3. Let's eat!
On that note, I'll be making a batch of chicken soup with mazto balls tomorrow. I'd say it was just like my grandmother made, but she was actually a pretty lousy cook. My mazto balls don't sink to the bottom of the pot like doughy little billiard balls.

Nick

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Chanukah is fine example of the common theme among so many Jewish holidays:

1. They tried to kill us.
  2. We won.
  3. Let's eat!
On that note, I'll be making a batch of chicken soup with mazto balls tomorrow. I'd say it was just like my grandmother made, but she was actually a pretty lousy cook. My mazto balls don't sink to the bottom of the pot like doughy little billiard balls.

Nick

Yep. That's every holiday.

The key to matzo balls is to add shcmaltz. For the rest of the world, that's rendered chicken fat.

The key to matzo balls is to add shcmaltz. For the rest of the world, that's rendered chicken fat.

I completely agree. A matzo ball without schmaltz is little more than an ordinary dumpling.

I also find that separating the eggs and slightly whipping the egg whites makes for a lighter matzo ball that's less likely to sink like a lead weight in the soup.

Nick

ouch

Good point. I don't expect anyone to start calling them kneidlach, but they shouldn't have to suffer the fate of those who tried my Aunt Faye's matzo balls, which killed more people than the plague.

Perhaps not, but we're helping educate a lot of other members who've had to suffer a lifetime of lesser matzo balls.

Nick

I have to say, all this Jewish centric holiday talk is making me feel a bit uncomfortable - and by uncomfortable, I mean at a truly gut level.

To hell with it, I’m just going to say what’s really on my mind, I am so jealous, and so hungry! Do you have any idea how hard, as a gentile, it is to get good (I mean really good) chicken soup with matzo balls?

You guys are killing me here :biggrin1:

-s

ouch

Don't feel bad, you can't even get a good version here in NYC, and you'll recall what Jessie Jackson called the town some thirty years ago.

Great soup is made, not bought.

To hell with it, I’m just going to say what’s really on my mind, I am so jealous, and so hungry! Do you have any idea how hard, as a gentile, it is to get good (I mean really good) chicken soup with matzo balls?

Well, you're in Madison so you're not that far away. If you ever find yourself in Chicago, I'll buy you a bowl of great chicken soup and matzo balls. Might not be as good as Ouch can get in Jersey, but it's pretty good here.

Ouch can probably get real bagels, though. What we have here is just round bread with a hole in the middle. They bear no resemblance to real bagels.

Nick

ouch

Well, you're in Madison so you're not that far away. If you ever find yourself in Chicago, I'll buy you a bowl of great chicken soup and matzo balls. Might not be as good as Ouch can get in Jersey, but it's pretty good here.

Ouch can probably get real bagels, though. What we have here is just round bread with a hole in the middle. They bear no resemblance to real bagels.

Nick

Regnad Kcin is correct: I can get great bagels where I work. It's the best possible under-a-buck breakfast. In fact, if a bum asks you for a handout, you should give him a bagel.

Don't feel bad, you can't even get a good version here in NYC, and you'll recall what Jessie Jackson called the town some thirty years ago.

Great soup is made, not bought.

As has been said, "You don't know what you got till its gone", – I was spoiled many years ago by a girlfriends mother & grandmother’s cooking – being very young, I had no idea what I was giving up when we broke up..

-s

Nick

Thank you for the kind offer sir - while Chicago may not be Jersey, good company can go a long way :biggrin1:

-s

Regnad Kcin is correct: I can get great bagels where I work. It's the best possible under-a-buck breakfast. In fact, if a bum asks you for a handout, you should give him a bagel.

Ha! I think I like my B&B nickname better backwards than forwards :laugh:

And I'm jealous of the bums in your area if they get real bagels as handouts. Lucky bums.

Nick

Top Bottom