What's new

To All the Blades I have Tried

In my short time I have tried lots of blades, but I will contain my reviews to those I have tried in the Festher ASD2 for consistency.

Lather is unscented PAA mixed with Arko.

In order of sharpness
Feather, KAI, Nacet, Derby Premium, voskhod , gillete Silver Blue.

I have others I have yet to try and more on the way.

I think my favorite so far is Nacet.

However, as my technique improves I like Feather more and more.

The KAI is very snug in ASD2

You can get Nacets on The Bay for 12-15 cents each depending on how many you want to buy, was looking last night. 😊

Those are, or were, a favorite of Geo
Some debate last year over the meaning resulted in "cut in half."

About to try several more. I like the site. It's fun.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211126-194233_Outlook.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211126-194233_Outlook.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 34
About to try several more. I like the site. It's fun.
They are great. I emailed asking when they were going to get a blade in. They put a note in my order a month later saying that they had found a few and just threw them in for free.

If you want to get a supply of Nacets, PM for info. There is a seller on The Bay with 15% off right now. If you buy 300, they are 10 cents each!

While waiting for my new blades I decided to try an old one. Derby premium. Used in feather ASD2 with PAA unscented.

I didn't like this blade. It wasn't nearly as sharp as I am used to now and it tugged. Even a git of a breakout on first shave.

It might work better in an aggressive razor, but imho not in a mild.

I got a great shave and no cuts or anything. Just not top tier

Attachments

• 20211128_103202.jpg
    20211128_103202.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
The reference blade will be feather. It's just perfect. All other blades will be compared to it. As my technique has improved I do see the difference now. Feather is a 10.

That would make Kai and Nacet so far tied at a 9. Voskhod get a 7 derby premium and Gillette silver blue both get 6.

Also, I will be updating on the blades that get multiple shaves. For example I have made it to 8 with feather.
Derby is tossed after 1. Meh.

I am glad to see you progressing and especially not tossing blades prematurely. However, I would not keep a blade longer than a week for your use case. It is fun to push the limit to find it, but eventually you have to find a sensible middle ground. Feathers pushed too far can become nasty things. Also, it is better to minimize the amount you handle a blade. You should be able to keep it in the razor and just loosen the top cap to rinse and dry. Any handling will risk affecting the edge or the coating. If you need to keep some Feathers around, the sale at Jatai is still going and you can get a package with two 10 packs for a good price. Maybe grab a couple.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The reference blade will be feather. It's just perfect. All other blades will be compared to it. As my technique has improved I do see the difference now. Feather is a 10.

That would make Kai and Nacet so far tied at a 9. Voskhod get a 7 derby premium and Gillette silver blue both get 6.
I wish I had come to that conclusion as quickly as you (re: Feathers). It took me a few years.

I am lowering the score on the Derby premium to a 4. I got a breakout. Not a bad one but it's there. That is not good for a blades first shave. It's out of rotation for sure.

The premiums are the actually good ones, just dull. Even the newer Extras are supposed to be better, but I am not buying to find out. I have a lot of Premiums that i don't use.

I am lowering the score on the Derby premium to a 4. I got a breakout. Not a bad one but it's there. That is not good for a blades first shave. It's out of rotation for sure.

Ugh. I haven't tried the Premium, but the Derby Extras were terrible for me (and I'm assuming should be worse than the premium). I think the closest to the Extras that I tried were the basic Dorcos. I think razor/technique/prep matters too much for those blades.

Top Bottom