What's new

TN passes constitutional carry of handguns

I'm getting more grumpier.....and loving it.

I used to envision being introduced to my Maker because I hit a deer at 90mph on the way home from work.

Now I'm pretty sure it will be because I have a massive coronary infarction from going off on a Moron over a parking place.

And I spent my ENTIRE werking life being nice to Morons.

So...... retirement has it's perqs.

You're siding with my missus? Seriously?? SERIOUSLY???

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You're siding with my missus? Seriously?? SERIOUSLY???
I swear, another STRONG possibility for me to end my earthly existence is at the hands of my wife. I have even been grumpy with her! And I fear her like any other she-devil! And I've not been normal Tanned Farmer grumpy, no.... I've been just UGLY. I blame Covid. Seriously, I hurt in places I didn't know that I had a month ago.

I hurt so bad I've been praying for telemarketers to call so I can have a new victim.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I swear, another STRONG possibility for me to end my earthly existence is at the hands of my wife. I have even been grumpy with her! And I fear her like any other she-devil! And I've not been normal Tanned Farmer grumpy, no.... I've been just UGLY. I blame Covid. Seriously, I hurt in places I didn't know that I had a month ago.

I hurt so bad I've been praying for telemarketers to call so I can have a new victim.

ROFL! Genius! :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
ROFL! Genius! :)
What's sad is, well, it's not at all Christlike, but REALLY close to the truth. The ONLY reason I haven't prayed that way is because I hurt so bad I can't concentrate.

The last time I had this kind of pain was over 40 years ago, and I had an aneurysm in my right shoulder. NOTHING is touching it today. And I CAN'T take NSAIDS because of Coumadin. Back in my younger days I..... well, let's just say I had a mouth and a chip on my shoulder. Motrin could cure ALL of the prices of my stoopidity! Narcotics are not touching this Covid. Incredible.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The older I get, the more accepting and patient I become. That’s good for me. As my body is slowly having a mutiny I am sure I could not keep up with my younger self.
Same here. There are more than enough people in this country who think it is necessary to become the biggest jerks possible, and that kindness and empathy are signs of weakness. Social media seems to exacerbate it.

Same here. There are more than enough people in this country who think it is necessary to become the biggest jerks possible, and that kindness and empathy are signs of weakness. Social media seems to exacerbate it.
Agree, and I find that trend to be disturbing. It seems that outrage and anger are a lifestyle for many anymore.

We are headed in that direction.

Over a year ago in Oklahoma.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
We are headed in that direction.

I am not sure how I feel about that. It is not that hard to get a LTC in Texas. I went through the process when it was harder than now. It still was not a big deal. I like the fact that you have to complete a back ground check, have a basic knowledge of the law, and show at least a bit of proficiency in shooting a firearm.

I have this horrible vision of some of the people I see at gun shows who are legally buying a hand gun can stick it in their pocket and carry it home. Would any of them have any idea what a 30.06 or 30.07 sign means? To me its kind of scary.

I am not sure how I feel about that. It is not that hard to get a LTC in Texas. I went through the process when it was harder than now. It still was not a big deal. I like the fact that you have to complete a back ground check, have a basic knowledge of the law, and show at least a bit of proficiency in shooting a firearm.

I have this horrible vision of some of the people I see at gun shows who are legally buying a hand gun can stick it in their pocket and carry it home. Would any of them have any idea what a 30.06 or 30.07 sign means? To me its kind of scary.

I had no idea what your 30.06 vs 30.07 referred to so I looked up. Apparently it applies to some no weapon allowed signs used in Texas, not elsewhere. I guess each state has their own regulations.

I do not carry a gun except when to the range for target shooting. However, many of the active shooting incidents take place in areas where guns are typically not allowed; schools, churches, malls, theaters, etc. Anyone with the intent to harm random others can go into such places with the knowledge that law-abiding persons will not be carrying weapons. That reduces the chances of their being able to carry out their assault without being challenged by someone with a weapon. Thus, many schools now have to have armed security guards. Many churches now have armed security teams that carry concealed weapons among the congregation. That is quite sad.

I do not have any objection to thorough background checks before purchasing weapons and ammunition. Here in Illinois I have to carry a FOID card (Firearm Owner's Identification Card). I have to go through a background check to obtain one through the state police. It has to be renewed periodically. I have to show that card to purchase ammunition. I have to show that card at a gun store before I am allowed to touch any weapon, even if it is unloaded. I have to have that card in my possession if I transport a gun or ammunition in my vehicle, even though guns in vehicles have to be in a case, unloaded and kept separate from ammunition. I even had to get a FOID card for my wife. If I were to die, it would be illegal for her to sell my firearms without a FOID card.

However, despite such regulations, Illinois as a whole and Chicago in particular continue to have gunshot deaths every weekend. During 2020, there were 611 mass shootings across the USA. of which Illinois represented 69 of them (11%). However, Illinois represents only 4% of the USA population. Thus, Illinois has far more than its share of mass shootings. The FOID card requirements have done little or nothing to stem that carnage. Even toddlers are not safe from being shot in the Chicago Metro area. The latest such incident occurred on April 6. Apparently, in the Chicago area, even convicted felons who are not allowed to possess firearms have no difficulty in obtaining them. I wish I knew the answer. :mad:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I had no idea what your 30.06 vs 30.07 referred to so I looked up. Apparently it applies to some no weapon allowed signs used in Texas, not elsewhere. I guess each state has their own regulations.

I do not carry a gun except when to the range for target shooting. However, many of the active shooting incidents take place in areas where guns are typically not allowed; schools, churches, malls, theaters, etc. Anyone with the intent to harm random others can go into such places with the knowledge that law-abiding persons will not be carrying weapons. That reduces the chances of their being able to carry out their assault without being challenged by someone with a weapon. Thus, many schools now have to have armed security guards. Many churches now have armed security teams that carry concealed weapons among the congregation. That is quite sad.

I do not have any objection to thorough background checks before purchasing weapons and ammunition. Here in Illinois I have to carry a FOID card (Firearm Owner's Identification Card). I have to go through a background check to obtain one through the state police. It has to be renewed periodically. I have to show that card to purchase ammunition. I have to show that card at a gun store before I am allowed to touch any weapon, even if it is unloaded. I have to have that card in my possession if I transport a gun or ammunition in my vehicle, even though guns in vehicles have to be in a case, unloaded and kept separate from ammunition. I even had to get a FOID card for my wife. If I were to die, it would be illegal for her to sell my firearms without a FOID card.

However, despite such regulations, Illinois as a whole and Chicago in particular continue to have gunshot deaths every weekend. During 2020, there were 611 mass shootings across the USA. of which Illinois represented 69 of them (11%). However, Illinois represents only 4% of the USA population. Thus, Illinois has far more than its share of mass shootings. The FOID card requirements have done little or nothing to stem that carnage. Even toddlers are not safe from being shot in the Chicago Metro area. The latest such incident occurred on April 6. Apparently, in the Chicago area, even convicted felons who are not allowed to possess firearms have no difficulty in obtaining them. I wish I knew the answer. :mad:

I use Illinois as an example when people want to talk stricter gun laws. They have some of the toughest in the nation and some of the highest crime.

I use Illinois as an example when people want to talk stricter gun laws. They have some of the toughest in the nation and some of the highest crime.

The gun regulations in Illinois are not quite as restrictive as they once were. Many of the most sever, especially those passed in Chicago, were challenged in court and ruled unconstitutional. So there are places with more strict regulations, but few places were higher gun violence.

OkieStubble

I am not sure how I feel about that. It is not that hard to get a LTC in Texas.

Exactly the point of 2nd Amendment Carry. It's not that hard to get a license if you are a law abiding citizen. How hard is it for a criminal to get a Texas carry license? Impossible I would think? So if being a "law abiding' citizen makes it so easy, why not let "those" who can so easily obtain one, why not let them just practice their 2nd Amendment right of carry and ownership as the constitution intended in the first place?

I went through the process when it was harder than now. It still was not a big deal. I like the fact that you have to complete a back ground check, have a basic knowledge of the law, and show at least a bit of proficiency in shooting a firearm.

Criminals cannot pass background checks to buy firearms or carry licenses. So when they begin to "illegally" carry a firearm, the only practice or proficiency they get, is when they are commiting crimes.

I have ran a few self defense act classes for civilian carry here in Oklahoma over the years. I don't know how closely Texas mirrors our classes, but civilian carry classes here, doesn't make people to have to show they are "proficient" with their firearm, they only have to show, they can "safely operate it." Basically, point it down range and pull the trigger.

My 8 year old grandson can do that. :)

What would you define, as "basic knowledge?" There are millions of CCW's nation wide, who have no idea the difference of 30,06 or 30.07 unless they hunt. Basic knowledge would be, no carry in federal buildings or schools and that nature. There are already signs on these places, telling you 'no weapons carry' even if you have a CCW.

In Oklahoma, and I think also in Texas, private gun sales between people are legal. If we were next door neighbors, I could easily sell you a pistol over our backyard fence, as long as i knowingly, have reasonable knowledge, that you are a good person and not a felon.

However, at a gun show, I have worked many gun shows over the years as an off duty police officer, you cannot enter a gun show, without showing me your driver's license at the entrance. When you give me your DL, I am sitting there at a table with a computer. I run your DL for a 10-44, (records check)

If you are or have been a felon, you don't gain entry and could be arrested for trying to gain entry, as there is a huge sign before you even get to me, that says, "no felons allowed." If your 10-44 shows you have an active warrant, you are probably going to go to jail, right then and there. If you pass the 10-44 and gain entry, then you and everyone else inside, are considered to be no different, than you or I, selling each other a pistol over our backyard fence. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I wish I knew the answer. :mad:

I don't proclaim, that i know the answer, but in my own opinion and perspective, I would say the answer probably lies in the simple word and definition of "focus"

Instead of focusing laws on the law abiding, focus instead, on the law breakers. This would mean, not making your focus of the law abiding, to jump thru hoops with FOID cards. But instead, focus your criminal justice system to quit letting felons who commit crimes with firearms, back out on the streets, over, and over and over and over again...

Just sayin.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
@OkieStubble I can see your argument, but I just feel there is benefit in understanding the law, where you can carry, what is legal use of force, etc. Do you feel there is any benefit in the finger print process or does it really not accomplish much?

In Texas a 30.06 sign prohibits conceal carry in a place it would normally be legal. A 30.07 prevents open carry. Technically if a business only posts 30.06 you just need to tuck in your shirt so your gun shows to be legal.

The gun shows I have been at do not ask for ID.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What would you define, as "basic knowledge?" There are millions of CCW's nation wide, who have no idea the difference of 30,06 or 30.07 unless they hunt. Basic knowledge would be, no carry in federal buildings or schools and that nature. There are already signs on these places, telling you 'no weapons carry' even if you have a CCW.

When I was doing banking business in Pryor they had signs on the door "No Open Carry". I didn't ask, but it looked like concealed was allowed in the bank?

That's a no-no here. You can carry in liquor stores and places that sell beer and wine, open or concealed, if you have the license. I saw a young man in a cowboy hat in a convenience store that sells beer and wine a few weeks ago that was wearing a western holster rig and had a single action revolver in the holster. We got in to a little conversation about what we both were carrying. He had the single action Ruger .45 and I had my Colt .38 snubbie in my coat pocket. Those stores have the sign that there is no "unlicensed carry" in the store.

You don't see much open carry around here.

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble I can see your argument, but I just feel there is benefit in understanding the law, where you can carry, what is legal use of force, etc.

I don't know about "my argument" cuz it looks like to me, that we agree with each other and are on the same page ideologically. It's only our perceptions on the details about, "how do we get there" that we are discussing my good friend. I'm sure, we both like to wear blue jeans without any wrinkles, we can assume, some ironing is in order. :)

When someone sits in a firearms permit class in Texas, what are they telling them, about understanding the law, when it pertains to carrying a firearm? If I make a list of what the class you sat in to obtain your license teaches, what did they tell you or inform you of, that you honestly didn't already know, before taking the class?

1. Safe firearm storage?

2. Where one can carry and where they can't?

3. The 5 basic rules of firearms safety? ( which every firearm comes with by the way, regardless if it's carried or just owned. )

4. Basic handgun and operational instructions?

5. Discussing the laws and penalties of when self defense is authorized and when it is not? (texas has had concealed carry for decades. Have the percentages of actual cases showed, this isn't already common sense and usage?)

There are all ways going to be the below .1 percentage of the carry population who will ignore common sense and class instruction and do something bone headed. But that will always be considered as isolated incidents where no amount of prevention would alter it.

However, the facts or large percentages show, conceal carry classes and what they teach, including the basic laws and operation of the firearm is and can be considered common sense knowledge.

Please click this link and read this. And click the link within that shows the increases and decreases of firearm classes when it pertains to the actual use and incidents of deadly outcomes pertaining to permit and permitless carry incidents.

very eye opening.

Do you feel there is any benefit in the finger print process or does it really not accomplish much?

If I put your fingerprints into a records system, to show me if you are a criminal or an law abiding citizen what will it show me? It will show, you are either, "who you say you are" or that you are lying, because the information you gave, doesn't match your prints correct?

So if the print matches what you say, how does that help keeping anyone safer? you are a law abiding citizen and your prints match that. If you are a criminal and you already know you got prints showing that you have spent time in a department of corrections facility, are you going to go thru the trouble of using your prints or even falsifying information to obtain a legal firearm?

as a criminal, if i really wanted to carry a firearm, i think I would just avoid all of that and just start carrying an illegal or stolen firearm? Either one, isn't going to make it anymore or any less dangerous for me on a traffic stop in the middle of the night. I'm going to watch your hands and what you do, no matter how legal or illegal you are or how suspicious or unsuspicious you act, until that dispatcher verifies to me "who you are and who you are not."

In Texas a 30.06 sign prohibits conceal carry in a place it would normally be legal. A 30.07 prevents open carry. Technically if a business only posts 30.06 you just need to tuck in your shirt so your gun shows to be legal.

I bet every law abiding citizen in Texas, who knows the law and who doesn't know the law, knows exactly what those signs mean.
I bet every criminal in Texas, who doesn't care or give a crap about the law, knows what those signs mean. :)

The gun shows I have been at do not ask for ID.

So you are telling me, a criminal can walk into a Texas gun show, purchase a firearm from a table or someone else and then walk out of that gun show without anyone checking the gun he bought or him? They have no other system in place to prevent this?

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
So you are telling me, a criminal can walk into a Texas gun show, purchase a firearm from a table or someone else and then walk out of that gun show without anyone checking the gun he bought or him? They have no other system in place to prevent this?
It’s been a few years (5 or so) since I’ve been to a gun show in Texas but at the shows I went to there was no ID check on the way in or out. I’m assume the guys at the tables were checking ID but I don’t know that for sure. There were 30.06 signs posted though. Go figure.

Top Bottom