What's new

Titterton Shaving Brushes - England's Long Forgotten Luxury Brush Maker

Recently I have had the fortune of acquiring a couple of vintage brushes made by Titterton. Originally I just assumed these were a private label brush made by Simpson, Kent or Rooney, and they very well may be, but it does appear that Titterton was a well established luxury brush manufacturer over a long span of time. According to the decal, the company was established in 1810 but the earliest mention I could find is listings in various journals and registries from 1853-4. The first published advertisement I could find was from another trade magazine in 1885, though the company name now shows as Titterton and Howard, shown here: https://books.google.com/books?id=6...A#v=onepage&q=titterton shaving brush&f=false. Finally and probably the most relevant find relating to my brushes, is this excerpt from Doris Woodall's 1959 book, A Short History of the House of Kent, "In 1940 the entire brush making business of Titterton and Howard Ltd., established 1812, was purchased which, as a subsidiary of Kent's, now markets household brushes..."

I have also found a few reference on the various forums, due to the rules I will only share those found here at B&B:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/200693-Olde-English-Butterscotch
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/117796-ever-seen-a-Titterton

There are a few mentions in the Butterscotch Eye Candy thread as well as a few others.

My two Tittertons:

$01172754.jpg$01172756.jpg

The brush on the left was obviously thoroughly enjoyed by it's previous owner and is in fair condition but retains a remnant of its original decal along with an engraving of "Badger" and a model on the back that I wasn't able to read (will do a little more thorough analysis once I have gotten it cleaned up). The brush on the right does not appear to have been used much, if at all, and does have a couple of engravings: one appears to be WK2C and the other is probably also Badger, but will need some magnifying assistance to confirm. The knots both measure 20mm in diameter and 44mm loft. The knot on the right appears to be of very high quality and I can't wait for the chance to use it for a shave. These brushes are obviously from the post-Kent buyout as both the model number and use of modern resin handle stock would indicate. I can't find when Kent stopped producing brushes labeled under the Titterton brand, but maybe could get that information from the horses mouth.

If anybody else has a Titterton brush or information to share I would encourage you to add it here.

Last edited:
2-band on the right?

I would still consider it a 3-band, but it does have a characteristic that almost always guarantees that I will be happy with a vintage knot. If you look at the coloring of the three bands you will notice the hair closest to the handle is a nice tan color which is a stark contrast to the whiteness of the tips. This is commonly found on vintage Plisson HMW brushes as well as several other high-end vintage brushes (I have a vintage Mark Cross with this same hair that is amazing).

I would still consider it a 3-band, but it does have a characteristic that almost always guarantees that I will be happy with a vintage knot. If you look at the coloring of the three bands you will notice the hair closest to the handle is a nice tan color which is a stark contrast to the whiteness of the tips. This is commonly found on vintage Plisson HMW brushes as well as several other high-end vintage brushes (I have a vintage Mark Cross with this same hair that is amazing).

Thanks for pointing that out. Interesting post.

Just realized under some magnification that my brush find is a Titterton.

Interesting in that it has a screw mid body attachment.

Attachments

• $IMG_1328.JPG
    $IMG_1328.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 87
  • $IMG_1329.JPG
    $IMG_1329.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 85
Recently I have had the fortune of acquiring a couple of vintage brushes made by Titterton. Originally I just assumed these were a private label brush made by Simpson, Kent or Rooney, and they very well may be, but it does appear that Titterton was a well established luxury brush manufacturer over a long span of time. According to the decal, the company was established in 1810 but the earliest mention I could find is listings in various journals and registries from 1853-4. The first published advertisement I could find was from another trade magazine in 1885, though the company name now shows as Titterton and Howard, shown here: https://books.google.com/books?id=6OgNAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA60&dq=titterton+shaving+brush&hl=en&sa=X&ei=QcrkVIncL46TyATXv4CYAg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=titterton shaving brush&f=false. Finally and probably the most relevant find relating to my brushes, is this excerpt from Doris Woodall's 1959 book, A Short History of the House of Kent, "In 1940 the entire brush making business of Titterton and Howard Ltd., established 1812, was purchased which, as a subsidiary of Kent's, now markets household brushes..."

I have also found a few reference on the various forums, due to the rules I will only share those found here at B&B:
Olde English Butterscotch - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/200693-Olde-English-Butterscotch
ever seen a Titterton? - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/117796-ever-seen-a-Titterton

There are a few mentions in the Butterscotch Eye Candy thread as well as a few others.

My two Tittertons:

View attachment 550067View attachment 550069

The brush on the left was obviously thoroughly enjoyed by it's previous owner and is in fair condition but retains a remnant of its original decal along with an engraving of "Badger" and a model on the back that I wasn't able to read (will do a little more thorough analysis once I have gotten it cleaned up). The brush on the right does not appear to have been used much, if at all, and does have a couple of engravings: one appears to be WK2C and the other is probably also Badger, but will need some magnifying assistance to confirm. The knots both measure 20mm in diameter and 44mm loft. The knot on the right appears to be of very high quality and I can't wait for the chance to use it for a shave. These brushes are obviously from the post-Kent buyout as both the model number and use of modern resin handle stock would indicate. I can't find when Kent stopped producing brushes labeled under the Titterton brand, but maybe could get that information from the horses mouth.

If anybody else has a Titterton brush or information to share I would encourage you to add it here.

Hi! What an interesting post. Can I ask you if you have the link to the 1885 rade journal where you found the advertisement? Thanks!

Top Bottom