What's new

Titanium Blade Feel

Hi B&B

I thoroughly enjoy exploring this hobby with all the knowledgeable members here. I don’t know if this question can be answered with empirical evidence or it’s too subjective and only anecdotal evidence exists. How much does Titanium reduce blade feel compared to stainless steel?? I hear members discuss weight of titanium vs stainless (~55%), but does anyone know how much difference there is between titanium and stainless steel for blade feel assuming all other factors for the razor remain the same?? For example the Blackland Blackbird Ti vs the Blackland Blackbird SS (only chosen because everything from the razors should be the same except material ).

Thank you everyone!
Kirk (Latherati)

I think the actual blade feel would be based more on the head geometry than the material used. But of the couple TI razors I’ve used, they seem to have a “softer” face feel than most SS razors. Kindof hard to explain, but the feel of the bar/top cap on your face just feels softer.

I think the actual blade feel would be based more on the head geometry than the material used. But of the couple TI razors I’ve used, they seem to have a “softer” face feel than most SS razors. Kindof hard to explain, but the feel of the bar/top cap on your face just feels softer.
I don't have a lot of experience with Ti razors, but this has been what I have found exactly.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Kirk — it’s real. This polished Ti Bird arrived yesterday and this morning I enjoyed its maiden voyage. Simply put, it does feel ‘softer’ than the SS version. It also ‘sounds’ a bit different to my ears - more muted in tone. Same incredible shave, of course.

I know it’s a pipe dream, but man do I wish Shane would create the 101mm handle in Titanium.

8D627D2A-179F-4913-A555-1566E8F88CE3.jpeg

@Hannah's Dad Beautiful polished Blackbird Dan! Enjoy the shaves!! Super excited to hear from an extremely knowledgeable member like you that you feel the titanium blade feel difference is real. Why do you think a 101mm handle hasn’t been made? The ss BB had too much blade feel for my liking, so not for me. I would imagine some people enjoy a long handle because it adds a small amount of heft, I believe based on conversations I have had with you that you feel the same as me and enjoy letting a heavier razor do the work, and other people enjoy longer handles because the handle provides a little more length. I’m not knowledgeable enough about metals or razors in general, but would the weight of a longer handle change the balance too much to make the BB less desirable??

Hannah's Dad

@Hannah's Dad Beautiful polished Blackbird Dan! Enjoy the shaves!! Super excited to hear from an extremely knowledgeable member like you that you feel the titanium blade feel difference is real. Why do you think a 101mm handle hasn’t been made? The ss BB had too much blade feel for my liking, so not for me. I would imagine some people enjoy a long handle because it adds a small amount of heft, I believe based on conversations I have had with you that you feel the same as me and enjoy letting a heavier razor do the work, and other people enjoy longer handles because the handle provides a little more length. I’m not knowledgeable enough about metals or razors in general, but would the weight of a longer handle change the balance too much to make the BB less desirable??
I’ve read comments from Shane that the demand for the longer handle is simply not present. I love the longer handle, and will use my brass 101mm handle with my new Ti head. I don’t think balance would be adversely impacted by the 101mm Ti handle. It’s an economic decision and not an engineering one, as far as I know.

Titanium has a “softer” face feel for me as well. When I got my titanium Blackbird I sold my SS Blackbird, in large part because of the softer face feel. I think there are (at least) two factors at play for me: First, because the razor head is lighter, there is a sensation of less blade feel. Second, I hypothesize (but do not know) that titanium conducts heat more quickly and readily than does stainless steel, and so the titanium is literally warmer assuming you are rinsing it in warm water as you shave. Whatever it is, I am at the point where I would always choose titanium over stainless steel, given the choice for a particular razor. Of course, as with everything razors, YMMV.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Kirk — it’s real. This polished Ti Bird arrived yesterday and this morning I enjoyed its maiden voyage. Simply put, it does feel ‘softer’ than the SS version. It also ‘sounds’ a bit different to my ears - more muted in tone. Same incredible shave, of course.

I know it’s a pipe dream, but man do I wish Shane would create the 101mm handle in Titanium.

View attachment 1437559

Titanium has a “softer” face feel for me as well. When I got my titanium Blackbird I sold my SS Blackbird, in large part because of the softer face feel. I think there are (at least) two factors at play for me: First, because the razor head is lighter, there is a sensation of less blade feel. Second, I hypothesize (but do not know) that titanium conducts heat more quickly and readily than does stainless steel, and so the titanium is literally warmer assuming you are rinsing it in warm water as you shave. Whatever it is, I am at the point where I would always choose titanium over stainless steel, given the choice for a particular razor. Of course, as with everything razors, YMMV.
+1 to what these fine gentlemen have stated. Can't add much more. :)

I suspect it's the weight difference...in the same way I found the karve aluminium way too mild and "softer" on the skin when using the exact same plate as the brass karve.

Also, with the blackbird SS, if I choke up on the handle, it has more blade feel than if I hold the razor 2/3rds up the handle. Doing this reduces the blade feel quite a lot.

Just to post an agreement. I have two high gap Wolfman and can say the Ti is either much smoother or softer than the SS. I feel it is almost like a plow, the heavier one digs in while a lighter one floats on top. I can say the Ti has given me a slight safety buffer on the corner of my jawbone where I had a tendency to get a nick if I didn’t pay attention. I remember back in the day (haha) you would hear members say to bump up one going from SS to Ti.

I plan to put this to the test. I have a Wolfman SS 1.25. Plan on ordering a Wolfman Ti 1.35 when my name comes up as I am on the wait list.
I’m currently very torn being on the waitlist myself. I love my SS Wolfman 1.25SB, so I’m very torn trying to decide if I should go with a 1.25 or 1.35 in Ti when my turn comes up.

I’m currently very torn being on the waitlist myself. I love my SS Wolfman 1.25SB, so I’m very torn trying to decide if I should go with a 1.25 or 1.35 in Ti when my turn comes up.
I think my turn will be sometime in May or June. What about yours?

I think my turn will be sometime in May or June. What about yours?
I put my name on the list a few days ago after having a conversation with some here including @Hannah's Dad . I’m a little concerned with the lighter Ti because I’m used to the heavier weight of the SS, but I’m excited to experience the softer, smoother face feel of the Ti. What length handle will you choose?

Last edited:
I put my name on the list a few days ago after having a conversation with some here including @Hannah's Dad . I’m a little concerned with the lighter Ti because I’m used to the heavier weight of the SS, but I’m excited to experience the softer, smoother face feel of the Ti. What length handle will you choose?

WRH7 (90 or 98mm) handle

Hannah's Dad

Without meaning to sound hyperbolic, I had one of the greatest shaves ever this morning with my polished Ti Blackbird and a Kai blade. I am beginning to re-think my preference for heavy razors, thanks to the Ti Bird.

This old dog might just be capable of learning a new trick.

Top Bottom