What's new

Tissot?

Anyone have any experience with these watches? The Seastar 1000 with Powermatic 80 movement looks very interesting.

I do not own one but I know of 2 who do. Part of the Swatch Group. Uses Swiss made "engines/movements" almost exclusively in both in their auto and quartz lines. Most of their automatic movements are ETA based. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck, particularly when you do not pay retail.

That watch has a feature set which includes

316L steel case
sapphire crystal
safety clasp on the bracelet
80 hour movement

Stainless models retail for 725 with a stainless bracelet. 695 with the rubber strap making buying with the bracelet the move as buying it later or a comparable aftermarket one will cost more than 30.00.

Other brands to consider in that space would be Mido which is on the same tier as Tissot and is part of the Swatch Group as well.

Factory Warranty is 24 months. Jomashop is not an authorized dealer but is reasonably well reputed and sells both Tissot and Mido at 25%-40% off retail quite frequently and provides their own 24 month warranty.

This sub 750 (perhaps 1000) space is chock full of excellent choices, particularly in "dive" configurations.

I could make other recs if I had a budget and feature set in mind. I am keenly interested as I have thought about Tissot both in the dive space and the retro dress (Visodate) for quite a while.

Good Luck and let us know what you do.

Well I went ahead and ordered the Seastar today. I did go with the sailcloth strap however, I just couldn’t like the polished links on the bracelet no matter how hard I tried. This is the model...
F4C82640-5ED3-4255-BB83-3C8031AFCCED.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Tissot are great watches IMHO. I have some vintage Tissot‘s that I should dig out and start wearing them again. I had a Tissot Navigator years ago that was a fantastic watch. I have a vintage Tissot Visodate somewhere that I used to wear a fair bit.

Great choice!!!

If you are going to run a strap I would recommend the following:

Sofie from Sweden...really. She has a great selection. The goods greatly exceed the intersection of quality and value.
You will need a strap removal tool. She has some that are perfectly serviceable. Frankly, if you go with 1 piece straps you will only be removing the OEM strap 1x anyway.

She ships from Sweden. 5-7 days max to the midwest. Free shipping on orders 25+. 20% off on 5+ bands if they are full price.

Finally, straps with quick on/off tool less spring bars are quite nice. The rather long Amazon link is below.

It showed up today and I like it! I’ve noticed some big differences over Japanese movements in my other watches. Winding it is as smooth as can be and the date complication pretty much snaps right over at midnight. Unlike the Japanese movements which take hours for the date to switch. As far as the strap goes, time will tell but it may end up on a NATO.
F9CACA8C-95DC-4E3E-B148-63FE0E40CD3E.jpeg

Great looking on the wrist!!!

To be clear, when I recommended straps from Sofie, that was not a shot at the OEM strap but rather the thought that you could swap out to make a fashion statement etc. Black on black is always in style.

The OEM strap looks great! The comfort however is mediocre at best. It may just need to break in a bit. It does have a butterfly clasp that is pretty neat that I didn’t realize was on there when I ordered it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What do you think of this new Savonnette pocket watch? To me it's simply gorgeous...

Very nice.

I think it takes a certain purposefulness to wear ... I suppose "carry" would be the correct verb ... a pocket watch. So obviously not for "everybody".

Two things I notice that I dislike: on the watch face itself, the giant rosette at the "6 o'clock" position seems distracting and ill-conceived. (I first thought it just an exaggerated hour marker ... on closer inspection it appears perhaps to be a "seconds hand"? If so, I think it insufficient to purpose as it appears to not have seconds markings and it's too small to easily see them if they are actually there.)

Also, the rosette on the outside: looks good in the first photo, but the third photo (profile) shows it quite raised, so I think it will quickly wear through to the base metal underneath and not look nearly as good.

Otherwise, very nice!

Very nice.

I think it takes a certain purposefulness to wear ... I suppose "carry" would be the correct verb ... a pocket watch. So obviously not for "everybody".

Two things I notice that I dislike: on the watch face itself, the giant rosette at the "6 o'clock" position seems distracting and ill-conceived. (I first thought it just an exaggerated hour marker ... on closer inspection it appears perhaps to be a "seconds hand"? If so, I think it insufficient to purpose as it appears to not have seconds markings and it's too small to easily see them if they are actually there.)

Also, the rosette on the outside: looks good in the first photo, but the third photo (profile) shows it quite raised, so I think it will quickly wear through to the base metal underneath and not look nearly as good.

Otherwise, very nice!
I was not sure about the boldness of the small seconds subdial at first, but after looking more closely there are some things that I really liked about it:
- How the second hand perfectly lines up with the small oval to provide an interesting visual and to help get a firm bearing on the seconds value.
- How the center of the bigger pedal dips to get a secondary reference point. Which when combined with the 5 ovals, breaks the subdial into tenths of a minute. Making the small second hand more useful to time things (e.g. take a quick pulse)
- Also how the bigger pedal has a symmetric hump on both sides. Helping to further break the minute down into 1/20 segments or every three seconds. Since trying to read actual tick marks on a small sub dial is quite difficult for anyone without perfect vision.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Very nice.

Otherwise, very nice!

Dear Doc,

Of course, I agree with you: a pocket watch is not for everyone. It's something that you either like or simply do not. Also, even if you love it, as I do, it's not for every occasion. That said, a pocket watch has a unique beauty that is "pure elegance". If you wear a pocket watch it won't pass unnoticed.

From my point of view, the inner rosette is intentionally done that "big". It is a stylistic choice and what gives character to the design. Same considerations on the outer rosette, which will last forever being made of solid brass.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
From my point of view, the inner rosette is intentionally done that "big". It is a stylistic choice and what gives character to the design. Same considerations on the outer rosette, which will last forever being made of solid brass.
Of course, if you are the one thinking of buying it, it's your opinion that matters. What I dislike about the design is just my opinion ... and with watches more than most things, personal opinion matters a lot. So go with what you like, not what I like. I only point out the things I dislike because sometimes we don't really notice something until someone else mentions it ... and sometimes we really wish they had said something before we paid the money, not after.

And apart from the points I raised earlier, I really do like the watch.

Top Bottom