What's new

Tisas 1911 update:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
It's been almost two months now since the Commander sized Tisas Carry got home but it's been taken off to a Forever Home it seems.

I really really liked that 1911 ...

but so did my Brother-in-Law. He tried it and from the very first shot the two seemed to do some weird mind-meld thing. It wasn't enough that he took my baby sister, now he has my Tisas Carry.

Such is life.

That meant I needed to find a replacement and since I actually enjoyed trying to use the stealth sights on the 1911A1 "US Army" Tisas I ordered the Tisas "Tanker".

The "Tanker" is another basic Plain Jane Commander size 1911 but with the flat mainspring housing like the Carry. It also has the forged frame and slide and barrel but the simple short trigger instead of the skeleton trigger found on the Carry with no beaver tail or speed bump. The ejection port is lowered and flared just like the Carry but the sights are the simple GI sights rather than Novak style three dots. The mag well is slightly beveled and the hammer is the early 1911A1 wide spur instead of the skeleton hammer found on the Carry.

Tanker-Left - Copy.jpg

Tanker-Left.jpg

I found some Gen-u-wine fake ivory grips for it but other than that so far no changes.

ivory-left.jpg

ivory-right.jpg

I haven't experienced any hammer bite from either the "Army" or the "Tanker" but do get the recoil bruise on the web of my hand about midway between the first joint of my thumb. It's never broken the skin so far and never caused any pain but is definitely noticeable if I shoot 30-50 or more rounds at a time.

Just as with the "Army" and "Carry" initially the magazine release is super stiff when I try to eject a full eight round magazine but it loosened up with the other two at around 100-150 round mark.

So far my experience with the current Tisas 1911s has been very close to fantastic. The single issue so far has bee related to two Wilson Combat 920 8 round magazine that have been unreliable in all three guns. The issue is a failure to feed about half way through each magazine and almost always on the last round. Since I have lots of 1911 magazines that work flawlessly the two Wilson Combat magazines will go into the Box of Shame until I can figure out what is happening.

Received my 9mm Carry last week. Gotta say, I'm impressed.

Undercut triggerguard, beavertail is not the barely visible line ala a Wilson custom but it's very clean, decent trigger (soon to be replaced with one adjustable for take-up & overtravel.

I've generally had problems with ambi-safeties, either they hit my knuckle or the tabs are too wide, or both. Tabs on this one have a nice, forward facing, 45* cut that leaves plenty of room for the offside knuckle & won't make you swing your thumb way out to deactivate.

Grips & sights are passable.

Mags are Mec Gar 10 round Champions, pretty much the same tier as Wilson's, at least in the first 150 rounds. Feeding is pretty much right into the chamber, the way it should be. Fully ramped & hard chromed barrel is nice, but the mags & mag positioning make the ramp a "nice to have", not a "need to have."

Adding some geegaws & googaws, but I doubt I'll trade or sell this 1911. Very well put together OEM.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's been almost two months now since the Commander sized Tisas Carry got home but it's been taken off to a Forever Home it seems.

I really really liked that 1911 ...

... but so did my Brother-in-Law. He tried it and from the very first shot the two seemed to do some weird mind-meld thing. It wasn't enough that he took my baby sister, now he has my Tisas Carry.

Such is life.

That meant I needed to find a replacement and since I actually enjoyed trying to use the stealth sights on the 1911A1 "US Army" Tisas I ordered the Tisas "Tanker".

The "Tanker" is another basic Plain Jane Commander size 1911 but with the flat mainspring housing like the Carry. It also has the forged frame and slide and barrel but the simple short trigger instead of the skeleton trigger found on the Carry with no beaver tail or speed bump. The ejection port is lowered and flared just like the Carry but the sights are the simple GI sights rather than Novak style three dots. The mag well is slightly beveled and the hammer is the early 1911A1 wide spur instead of the skeleton hammer found on the Carry.

View attachment 1508284

View attachment 1508285

I found some Gen-u-wine fake ivory grips for it but other than that so far no changes.

View attachment 1508287

View attachment 1508283

I haven't experienced any hammer bite from either the "Army" or the "Tanker" but do get the recoil bruise on the web of my hand about midway between the first joint of my thumb. It's never broken the skin so far and never caused any pain but is definitely noticeable if I shoot 30-50 or more rounds at a time.

Just as with the "Army" and "Carry" initially the magazine release is super stiff when I try to eject a full eight round magazine but it loosened up with the other two at around 100-150 round mark.

So far my experience with the current Tisas 1911s has been very close to fantastic. The single issue so far has bee related to two Wilson Combat 920 8 round magazine that have been unreliable in all three guns. The issue is a failure to feed about half way through each magazine and almost always on the last round. Since I have lots of 1911 magazines that work flawlessly the two Wilson Combat magazines will go into the Box of Shame until I can figure out what is happening.
Dressed it up real nice.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
@jar_ I have been thinking that my best would be a S&W Airweight, but then you go and plant this in my head. Always wanted a 1911, and have been watching videos on Tisas. Even hickock45 didn’t have anything really negative to say about these. Now I need one. Thanks bunches :lol:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
@jar_ I have been thinking that my best would be a S&W Airweight, but then you go and plant this in my head. Always wanted a 1911, and have been watching videos on Tisas. Even hickock45 didn’t have anything really negative to say about these. Now I need one. Thanks bunches :lol:
Tisas "Duty" (5") or "Carry" (4.25") Classic Firearms, $339.00.

Okay, some background.

So far four Tisas have followed me home. Only issues was with the "Carry". I let my brother-in-law shoot it and now he won't give it back.

Models so far: All are forged steel frames, slide, barrel and machined AFTER hardening. Only MIM part in current models is the recoil spring endcap.

Army, basic 1911A1 with pretty much 1924 specs. Series 70 pieces parts. 1924 GI sights. 5".

Army-MOE-grips.jpg

Over 500 rounds with zero issues not caused by the stupid owner. Works with Mec-Gar, ACT (likely Mec-Gar), Wilson, Ed Brown, CheckMate magazines. Eats ball, JHP, ARX standard pressure and +P.

Carry: stolen by brother-in-law

1911-Carry.jpg

It came upgrade with Novak style three dot sights, beaver tail, skeleton hammer/trigger, long trigger. Says I can have my sister back.

Tanker: Plain Jane Commander size. I switched slide to a Carry slide since it was about as much as ordering upgraded sights alone.

Tanker-MOE.jpg

Carry-slide-02.jpg

Well over 500 rounds. See comments under Army.

The latest is one of the $339.00 Classic Firearms Duty models. It's Government size just has upgraded sights, beaver tail and long trigger. So far slightly over 180 round with one failure to feed when some idiot let his thumb ride the slide lock.

left.jpg

Honestly, the Tisas 1911s are everything a 1911 should be and far too often isn't. Tisas is a NATO supplier and so everything is built to NATO standards. The pieces parts are pretty much made to the Colt 1911A1 series 70 specs but without the fingered bushing thank God.

My experience so far has been that they all punch way above their price point. They simply work as intended. I have not had to do any trigger work, tune any extractors, polish any feed ramps. They come with CheckMate magazines and from coming out of the case will feed spent cartridges. Trigger pull has been at or just under four pounds and short, positive reset.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Tisas "Duty" (5") or "Carry" (4.25") Classic Firearms, $339.00.

Okay, some background.

So far four Tisas have followed me home. Only issues was with the "Carry". I let my brother-in-law shoot it and now he won't give it back.

Models so far: All are forged steel frames, slide, barrel and machined AFTER hardening. Only MIM part in current models is the recoil spring endcap.

Army, basic 1911A1 with pretty much 1924 specs. Series 70 pieces parts. 1924 GI sights. 5".

View attachment 1589901

Over 500 rounds with zero issues not caused by the stupid owner. Works with Mec-Gar, ACT (likely Mec-Gar), Wilson, Ed Brown, CheckMate magazines. Eats ball, JHP, ARX standard pressure and +P.

Carry: stolen by brother-in-law

View attachment 1589904

It came upgrade with Novak style three dot sights, beaver tail, skeleton hammer/trigger, long trigger. Says I can have my sister back.

Tanker: Plain Jane Commander size. I switched slide to a Carry slide since it was about as much as ordering upgraded sights alone.

View attachment 1589909

View attachment 1589908

Well over 500 rounds. See comments under Army.

The latest is one of the $339.00 Classic Firearms Duty models. It's Government size just has upgraded sights, beaver tail and long trigger. So far slightly over 180 round with one failure to feed when some idiot let his thumb ride the slide lock.

View attachment 1589913

Honestly, the Tisas 1911s are everything a 1911 should be and far too often isn't. Tisas is a NATO supplier and so everything is built to NATO standards. The pieces parts are pretty much made to the Colt 1911A1 series 70 specs but without the fingered bushing thank God.

My experience so far has been that they all punch way above their price point. They simply work as intended. I have not had to do any trigger work, tune any extractors, polish any feed ramps. They come with CheckMate magazines and from coming out of the case will feed spent cartridges. Trigger pull has been at or just under four pounds and short, positive reset.
Thanks

I agree with everything jar_ has said. I picked up the 9mm Carry. Fed 100% from the start. Trigger was good (not "great" because mine had CeraKote applied to the ignition group), safety was perfectly precise, sights were acceptable and easily replaceable with TruGlos that I normally use. Out of the box, it was tighter than a friend's Colt Gold Cup, circa 1989 or so. You cannot beat these for the price. I have a handful of MecGar and Ruger SR1911 9mm mags, and they work beautifully.

I usually tell folks, plan on spending $2000, at least, to have the 1911 you want. For ~2 bills over the entry price(TFO sights, EGW ignition parts & Fusion trigger) it is pretty much everything you could ask for, with no unnecessary manufacturer Big Name add-ons.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
“Best” should be “next”

Top Bottom