What's new

Tis the Season to Beware

I bid on and won this bottle of Polo AS on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360787012760?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Seller had a negative from one prior customer who felt the product was diluted. Mine was too. It has little fragrance and I put a bit on my wrist 20 minutes ago and it's faded by now. If this had been a $10 purchase I'd let it go but for $37 this is ridiculous. How do sellers get away with this stuff? No more fragrance buys on Ebay for me- it's too much of a minefield.

I stay away from eBay when purchasing fragrances. Between counterfeits and diluted products, there are just too many ways to cheat.

I've had good luck buying frags on eBay thus far, but I know I'm playing with fire. I always scour the feedback and if I see even ONE person questioning the authenticity, then I avoid the seller no matter what.

I stay away from eBay when purchasing fragrances. Between counterfeits and diluted products, there are just too many ways to cheat.

How can a seller dilute a bottle that has a sprayer? Wouldn't it be very obvious? I can understand a pour bottle being diluted.

I've had good luck buying frags on eBay thus far, but I know I'm playing with fire. I always scour the feedback and if I see even ONE person questioning the authenticity, then I avoid the seller no matter what.

+1 same here,

Seller had a negative from one prior customer who felt the product was diluted.

That was a neutral, but there was a neg from someone who felt a hair product was too thin.

File a Paypal and ebay dispute, leave negative FB, and report the seller to ebay.
Sellers get away with it because nobody does anything.

Fact is, many aftershave splashes have little lasting power. A dozen years ago I tested quite a few and wrote up my findings at Basenotes, though Polo wasn't one of the one's tested. (see http://www.basenotes.net/articles/lotion.html).

At the time, I was amazed at how designers could get away with making such short lasting, fleeting after shave splashes and charge big bucks for them. Sales people in shops told me it was the new style aftershave, designed to complement wearing the EDT, unlike the old style after shave, where men just put that on and nothing else.

I don't know how you can assert that your Polo splash bottle has been diluted, unless you have found and tested the same bottle in a shop, and found it to be significantly stronger than that which you purchased.
Regards,
Renato

I learned the difference between a cologne and an aftershave 40 years ago when I bought my first bottle of cologne and at that time aftershaves were less strong as the alcohol in the aftershave was meant to tone the skin after a shave not as much to perfume it. There are some good deals on Ebay and Amazon but one has to be careful. A single bottle for sale is suspect but someone who has enough buying power to purchase and resell a quantity of bottles is less suspect in my eyes as is buying a fully packaged product. I have purchased several bottles of Royall colognes from Bermuda which came fully packaged and never had a problem! Let the buyer beware and always use caution and you'll make out OK!

I've had this happen to me with amazon as well. I try to only buy products like these in person, or direct from a trusted vendor.

I have bought two bottles from eBay that turned out to be obvious fakes. One Prada and a Tom Ford. The bottles were the same shape and that was about all I could say nice about them. The labels were incredibly bad. One seller did not fight me on a refund but still claimed ignorance. The other one I sent PayPal after. Never again

Got a notice of a refund to Paypal today- from the seller, not from Paypal- nothing showing as yet on there.
One thing I didn't mention- the bottle neck was wide open- no stopper, just a wide open neck. I think the whole thing was fake, including the bottle. Interesting they refunded before they could have received it back.

They refunded the one of mine without asking for it back. My bottles were obvious fakes. It is easier for them to refund your money and not ask for it back so that you don't raise a big stink with eBay and get them banned. They probably have more cost in shipping the bottle to you than the initial purchase.

Top Bottom