What's new

Tired of lurking / Newbie check in

Good morning to you all. After lurking on the site for 18 months or so, I decided to sign up and contribute! I've posted a few times but thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself.

A lifelong resident of Maryland, I've been shaving since the age of 12 (I'm 47), when my father found me using his razor. That wasn't going to fly so, on an outing with the family the following day, I can still remember my father pulling up in front of a drugstore, going in, and coming back out with my very own Gillette cartridge (gasp!) razor. First step in becoming a real man, I guess! Carts were my means of facial hair reduction for the next 34 years.

I never really discussed my dad's shaving history with him so I can't say whether he ever shaved with a safety razor but I remember my grandfathers both using them.....although I can't remember which types. Unfortunately, my father passed away in the Spring of 2016 so revisiting this subject with him isn't in the cards. After his death, I was looking for a way to slow life down, if just a little bit, and yearning for some nostalgia. Surfing the 'net one late summer day, I stumbled upon Badger and Blade. Intrigued by the reviews of razors, soaps, etc, I immersed myself in reading the forum whenever I had the chance. Tepidly ready to test the waters of wet shaving, I gave my wife a small list of items which would make a nice birthday gift for my upcoming birthday later that fall. She put together a gift of a Merkur 34hd and the trio of Proraso Green preshave, soap, and aftershave. Using a sample blade pack from Amazon, I set off on my journey.

My first shave was a disaster. 34 years of using carts had created techniques that didn't transfer to the safety razor. After giving my face a few days to heal, and looking online for technique tips, my shaves got better and better.....thanks to many of you who's posts I read! Yes, I have SAD and RAD, having moved from the Merkur and a few other new razors to vintage Gillettes and Gems.....and my wife thinks I'm a little nuts although she's my sounding board for testing new scents.......but I truly enjoy this new hobby. I've turned my 75 year old father-in-law into a wet shaver and I've even found a few fellows at the office who enjoy the wet shaving thing too.

My other passions are hunting, fishing, and the occasional round of golf......so wet shaving is easily the cheapest of the bunch!

I look forward to contributing to the board when possible and I thank many of you for steering me in this new direction! Happy shaves!

4ckb

ps....the picture is my current den set up. Purchased the table last year at an auction for 10 bucks.
shave table.jpg

Nice post. I like your den-on-a-small-table. Very nice. You've collected a lot of gear in 18 months!
Welcome!

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

Looks like you are well on your way.

Do not be shy about joining in ANY of the conversations and meeting the members. We're all good friends here on B&B

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

Hall of Fame

Love your table. I too am a "table in bathroom" person myself

proxy.php

Welcome! Very cool first post. I am a big time lurker, but have recently started posting. This is by far the most informative and interesting forum I have been part of.

Nice set up too!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

There are many into hunting, shooting and fishing on the forum, and even razors and brushes! So you're in great company.

Welcome aboard! That's a heck of a den you have there. I am sure you will find many of the subforums to be right up your alley!

Good morning to you all. After lurking on the site for 18 months or so, I decided to sign up and contribute! I've posted a few times but thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself.

A lifelong resident of Maryland, I've been shaving since the age of 12 (I'm 47), when my father found me using his razor. That wasn't going to fly so, on an outing with the family the following day, I can still remember my father pulling up in front of a drugstore, going in, and coming back out with my very own Gillette cartridge (gasp!) razor. First step in becoming a real man, I guess! Carts were my means of facial hair reduction for the next 34 years.

I never really discussed my dad's shaving history with him so I can't say whether he ever shaved with a safety razor but I remember my grandfathers both using them.....although I can't remember which types. Unfortunately, my father passed away in the Spring of 2016 so revisiting this subject with him isn't in the cards. After his death, I was looking for a way to slow life down, if just a little bit, and yearning for some nostalgia. Surfing the 'net one late summer day, I stumbled upon Badger and Blade. Intrigued by the reviews of razors, soaps, etc, I immersed myself in reading the forum whenever I had the chance. Tepidly ready to test the waters of wet shaving, I gave my wife a small list of items which would make a nice birthday gift for my upcoming birthday later that fall. She put together a gift of a Merkur 34hd and the trio of Proraso Green preshave, soap, and aftershave. Using a sample blade pack from Amazon, I set off on my journey.

My first shave was a disaster. 34 years of using carts had created techniques that didn't transfer to the safety razor. After giving my face a few days to heal, and looking online for technique tips, my shaves got better and better.....thanks to many of you who's posts I read! Yes, I have SAD and RAD, having moved from the Merkur and a few other new razors to vintage Gillettes and Gems.....and my wife thinks I'm a little nuts although she's my sounding board for testing new scents.......but I truly enjoy this new hobby. I've turned my 75 year old father-in-law into a wet shaver and I've even found a few fellows at the office who enjoy the wet shaving thing too.

My other passions are hunting, fishing, and the occasional round of golf......so wet shaving is easily the cheapest of the bunch!

I look forward to contributing to the board when possible and I thank many of you for steering me in this new direction! Happy shaves!

4ckb

ps....the picture is my current den set up. Purchased the table last year at an auction for 10 bucks. View attachment 855919
That's a beautiful den

Top Bottom