What's new

Tips Requested For Shaving With And Maintaining A Schick E Injector Razor

Good Evening Gentlemen!

I got lucky on a certain auction site and managed to secure a really nice exampe of a Canadian made Schick E injector. I don't know the specific sub type but the frame cannot be opened, and it must be post 1937 because it has a patent of that date stamped on the head.

Just a few questions on use and maintenence:

How is it as a shaver? Is it efficient? Do you need any specific change in technique from using say a 1912? What angle would you recommend?

Is it to be kept with a blade permanently loaded? Does it require any specific cleaning to the head?

What is the breadth of choice regarding blades? Is there a 'best' blade for the E? I have come across refrence to a 'Chick' a Chinese Schick made blade?

I shall post some pics when I get it in a couple of days. With the case it's a pretty razor!

Any help, advice or insights greatly appreciated as always Gents.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Great shaver congratulations .. I used one of mine today actually pretty efficient, moreso than the later models ..

I never got the angle idea - it will guide you likely if you've used a 1912

Keep the blade in, mine gets changed when it starts to tug .. but I use a number of razors

Best blade is vintage Schick Plus Platinum .. or Personna 74 .. best modern is Schick yellow card (so called Chicks). Other moderns, I've not found as good, but the Personna's are cheap (identify by the plastic blade holder) Supply Blacks are the most expensive, sure there are fans, I'm not

Put the face of the razor against your face and bring it up just a hair. Just like shaving with a 1912. If I use one of my Schick razors I put a new blade in it and leave it in. I use the same razor for at least 2 to 3 shaves then rinse well and leave the blade in. The next time it comes around in the rotation I inject a new blade and repeat. So it never gets a full cleaning except when I buy them.

Just rinse it out thoroughly with running tap water and pat it with a towel, the let it air dry. Make sure the underside of the blade is clear of soap, etc. I sometimes use a toothbrush in this area to get it all off. I keep the blade in all my injectors, except the D and E1, E2s which open. That way I can move a blade from one to the other.

There's been a blade in my first L1, bought new in the mid 1970s, since day one and no problems with it yet. It was my only razor for many years.

Yep, I keep a Schick dispenser loaded with used blades that I’ve dulled by dragging their edges on the driveway for that very purpose, and sometimes I just carefully load the new blade into the razor.
Hmm, mine looks to be unloaded. I had better get it loaded up with a blade then?

It comes with an original gold toned blade magazine/injector, and the seller said there appeared to be at least one in it.

It will take a few days for new blades to arrive. I was a little suprised to see how relatively expensive they are. The Schicks seem to be the most expensive vintage to run.

I hope the lack of a blade loaded has not compromised it's mechanics in any way.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Bought & Cleaned a old Schick E2 injector from a Antique shop that some one bent the spring in it trying to clean it, so I bought it on a whim for a $5.00 and thought it would be a challenge to bring it back to life.
After a few weeks I decided to take a better look at it and start cleaning it and came to a conclusion that some one wanted it to open like some E models so I decided to clean & repair (re-arc the spring) to better it than was sold at retail brand new and was a easy challenge for myself.
I opened it up and scrubbed and disinfected it and flattened the base plate keeper that locks the base plate so now it was easy to remove the blade and clean and store with out the blade. This is one of my best Schick injectors I own and they made different E models to do just this and I wanted this one to be similar.
I can remove the injector blade quicker than any 3 piece by just moving the spring to the left. Care was needed to flatten the keeper and being a industrial Millwright and Machinist I was able to do this fairly easy, not easy for a amateur possibly & could damage the base plate.
(some old archived photo's from this rough shape E2 injector I cleaned/repaired and brought back to life for many more years of enjoyment)(click photo to enlarge).
FullSizeRender[137201].jpg
Schick swivel 2.jpg
Schick swivel1.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Hmm, mine looks to be unloaded. I had better get it loaded up with a blade then?

It comes with an original gold toned blade magazine/injector, and the seller said there appeared to be at least one in it.

It will take a few days for new blades to arrive. I was a little suprised to see how relatively expensive they are. The Schicks seem to be the most expensive vintage to run.

I hope the lack of a blade loaded has not compromised it's mechanics in any way.
Not having a blade in it will not cause any harm whatsoever. I have loaded countless blades into empty injectors, you just have to be careful not to let the edge drag along the blade stops. Each blade has a light coat of oil, probably mineral oil, that helps with loading the blade.

The original gold blades are probably not usable, you can insert one initially as a sacrificial blade before inserting a new one.

Not having a blade in it will not cause any harm whatsoever. I have loaded countless blades into empty injectors, you just have to be careful not to let the edge drag along the blade stops. Each blade has a light coat of oil, probably mineral oil, that helps with loading the blade.

The original gold blades are probably not usable, you can insert one initially as a sacrificial blade before inserting a new one.
Thanks Tom.

You’re welcome. I also have an E type like Rons that a previous owner modified so it will open, as well as a G8 that is original but will also open like that. When the blades arrive we can walk you through the loading process, it’s really pretty simple.

Great razor. My E2 outshaves everything in my den.

Mine is an E2 that cannot be opened. There’s nothing to maintain. I think it’s best to always have a blade in it. When new they were shipped with a blank blade to allow the next blade to slide in without rubbing the blade stops.

Nothing is easier to shave with than a Schick injector. The angle is built in. It works well with pressure or no pressure. Simply glide around your face with abandon and delight in the best shave you can get.

ONLY use Chinese Schicks in the yellow package. In the US I can get them at the drug store 7 for $4. More expensive than DE’s but I can get 12 shaves out of each one.

Enjoy it. It’s a masterpiece.

Bought & Cleaned a old Schick E2 injector from a Antique shop that some one bent the spring in it trying to clean it, so I bought it on a whim for a $5.00 and thought it would be a challenge to bring it back to life.
After a few weeks I decided to take a better look at it and start cleaning it and came to a conclusion that some one wanted it to open like some E models so I decided to clean & repair (re-arc the spring) to better it than was sold at retail brand new and was a easy challenge for myself.
I opened it up and scrubbed and disinfected it and flattened the base plate keeper that locks the base plate so now it was easy to remove the blade and clean and store with out the blade. This is one of my best Schick injectors I own and they made different E models to do just this and I wanted this one to be similar.
I can remove the injector blade quicker than any 3 piece by just moving the spring to the left. Care was needed to flatten the keeper and being a industrial Millwright and Machinist I was able to do this fairly easy, not easy for a amateur possibly & could damage the base plate.
(some old archived photo's from this rough shape E2 injector I cleaned/repaired and brought back to life for many more years of enjoyment)(click photo to enlarge).
View attachment 1510295 View attachment 1510298 View attachment 1510297
Have some great shaves!
I just got a Canadian E4 on which someone tried and failed to make that modification. The spring was pretty loose, so I tightened things up and put it back to original as closely as possible. It seems okay now, but they had loosened the rivet!

Last edited:
Thanks Gents for all your help so far!

I well remember you guys talking me through my first SE, the great 1912. I really love that razor. That was a good thread, and hopefully it's helped others too.

Hopefully this thread will continue until I sign off with my first shave report on this Schick Injector E2.

Maybe it will also help other new Schick users in the future too.

I have always wanted one of these!

Great razor. My E2 outshaves everything in my den.

Mine is an E2 that cannot be opened. There’s nothing to maintain. I think it’s best to always have a blade in it. When new they were shipped with a blank blade to allow the next blade to slide in without rubbing the blade stops.

Nothing is easier to shave with than a Schick injector. The angle is built in. It works well with pressure or no pressure. Simply glide around your face with abandon and delight in the best shave you can get.

ONLY use Chinese Schicks in the yellow package. In the US I can get them at the drug store 7 for $4. More expensive than DE’s but I can get 12 shaves out of each one.

Enjoy it. It’s a masterpiece.
Thanks for the insights @Quaznoid appreciated.

The Yellow blister packs you mentioned are $15.58 on the UK Bay for the 7 mag. Shipping is reasonable considering, but they run at nearly $20 a pack with that included.

No deal breaker but steep. It will be a pleasure to get this baby running again after Lord knows how many years.

I'm guessing the yellow packs are the highly recommended Chicks.

Last edited:

The Yellow blister packs you mentioned are $15.58 on the UK Bay for the 7 mag. Shipping is reasonable considering, but they run at nearly $20 a pack with that included.

No deal breaker but steep. It will be a pleasure to get this baby running again after Lord knows how many years.

Those are the Chicks

The Schick blades are very good, and I can get them locally, but I actually prefer the Personna blades. I get them from Connaught Shaving. Much better price, even with shipping from the UK to the US, and I believe they’re slightly sharper than the Schicks but the plastic dispenser isn’t as good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom