What's new

Tips on using a GEM micromatic

I have always wanted to keep on using Feather as per my DE shaver past. nevertheless, I thought that you could not use but spinned blades, which don't show up in Feather's range. Nevertheless, they have the FHS-10, single edge but spineless. Might fit my OCMM? Any actual experience?
Thanks.

The Feather FHS10s won't work - they lack the side cutouts for the notches that lock the GEM blades in on the MMs. You could use the Feathers in the post-MM GEMs, I think - the Heavy Flat Top, Featherweight, Pushbutton, and the Contour I and II. The GEM PTFE blade is cheaper than the Feather, sharper and lasts longer, but if it's a nostalgia thing pick up one of these and go for it.

These are simple to use especially MM and after. Smush cap flat to your face, shave, BBS, done. It’s really that easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Feather FHS10s won't work - they lack the side cutouts for the notches that lock the GEM blades in on the MMs. You could use the Feathers in the post-MM GEMs, I think - the Heavy Flat Top, Featherweight, Pushbutton, and the Contour I and II. The GEM PTFE blade is cheaper than the Feather, sharper and lasts longer, but if it's a nostalgia thing pick up one of these and go for it.

Salty, too many logical reasons to try.

Thanks.

This thread has been informative as I just started SE shaving last week with a Starling and using a Personna GEM PTFE. I figured out quickly that the shave technique was that of a straight razor. But the problem I have with it is the smoothness of the shave. It is miserable and I would love to find a blade that cuts through my course hair even a little easier. Mind you, I do get a very close shave, but it seems like it is miserable in order to get there. I see someone said that it is possible to use a cartridge style blade in these razors. Which ones and will it be sharper than what I am using now?

This thread has been informative as I just started SE shaving last week with a Starling and using a Personna GEM PTFE. I figured out quickly that the shave technique was that of a straight razor. But the problem I have with it is the smoothness of the shave. It is miserable and I would love to find a blade that cuts through my course hair even a little easier. Mind you, I do get a very close shave, but it seems like it is miserable in order to get there. I see someone said that it is possible to use a cartridge style blade in these razors. Which ones and will it be sharper than what I am using now?

Are you using the razor according to the GEM instructions?
GEM instructions1.jpg

Yes Sir. I do feel I have the angle correct and I do take my time. It just feels as if the blade isn't sharp enough to get a "smooth pass". Trust me, I love the final results because it is truly nice to get that close shave, but the process is just difficult.
I have coarse hair like you and the PTFE blade cuts but tugs a bit on the first pass in some dense areas.

Ah. So you get the tugging as well. I hope we can find a solution. It almost reminds me of dull cartridge razors.

I get tugging on everything, even a Artist Club blade on first pass. Hair is like metal wire.

I would suggest a first pass knock down. Just get rid of the growth. Use the next one or two passes to dial it in. GEM recommended a horizontal stroke under the nose.

I get tugging on everything, even a Artist Club blade on first pass. Hair is like metal wire.

I would suggest a first pass knock down. Just get rid of the growth. Use the next one or two passes to dial it in. GEM recommended a horizontal stroke under the nose.

I appreciate the feedback. I had the same issue with a lot of blades, then someone on here turned me onto the Gillette Nacet and I was in heaven. I just wish someone would make something that sharp in GEM.

I appreciate the feedback. I had the same issue with a lot of blades, then someone on here turned me onto the Gillette Nacet and I was in heaven. I just wish someone would make something that sharp in GEM.

Sorry for your experiences with the PTFE. They work well for me using the method I mentioned. Multi pass and beard mapping are the secrets to a great result.

Sorry for your experiences with the PTFE. They work well for me using the method I mentioned. Multi pass and beard mapping are the secrets to a great result.

No worries. I am not quitting this adventure! I should have better shaves within the next few. I'm not worried. :)

Ah. So you get the tugging as well. I hope we can find a solution. It almost reminds me of dull cartridge razors.

There seem to be only three usable blades for Gem razors, all of which are made by the razor's original manufacturer. If you don't like the PTFE coated stainless steel, there are uncoated carbon steel blades under the CVS, Gem Blue Star, and Treet names; and uncoated blued carbon steel blades under the Pal name. The blades are also available in bulk from vendors like Ted Pella. All are reported as being sharper and are widely available online for fairly small cost, but they will rust quickly so you need to minimize their time being wet to get more than one or two shaves from them.

There seem to be only three usable blades for Gem razors, all of which are made by the razor's original manufacturer. If you don't like the PTFE coated steel, there are uncoated carbon steel blades under the CVS, Gem Blue Star, and Treet names; and uncoated blued carbon steel blades under the Pal name. The blades are also available in bulk from vendors like Ted Pella. All are reported as being sharper and are widely available online for fairly small cost, but they will rust quickly so you need to minimize their time being wet to get more than one or two shaves from them.

Awesome. Thank you for the heads up. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A lot of the manuals that came with the GEM razors are gone and and so I found some and this will help folks.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg

Gem procedure (2).jpg

beard map (2).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom