What's new

Tips on improving your nose?

I’m not a frag head (yet), but scent is a powerful stimulus for me. I’m looking for ways to improve my ability to pick up different scent notes in shaving soaps, aftershaves, colognes, etc. I’ve started to pick up some of the more common scents in shaving such as Sandalwood, tobacco, lavender, etc, but I’m at a pretty basic level. Any tips on how to improve in this area? (Preferably without spending thousands of dollars)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes - read Turin and Sanchez's book, Guide to Perfumes A to Z.

That book taught me a ton, and it's a fun read, too.

Fragrance is a wicked rabbit hole, by the way.

AA

I recommend acquiring decants/samples of fragrances that are linear or very prominent of one particular note or a composition.

Fougere scents are usually composed of lavender, tonka bean, moss, and other aromatics to smell like fern, for example.

Another example is Lalique Encre Noire: it has a few notes, but it always dries down to a vetiver scent that lasts until it's scrubbed.

Guerlain Vetiver, far from linear, is a good example of composition: a ton of notes combined to smell like vetiver.

Tam Dao by Diptyque, both concentrations, can teach you a thing or two about sandalwood.

YSL Body Kouros has very prominent benzoine and eucalyptus notes.

Neither of the aforementioned fragrances are safe blind buys, so I wouldn't recommend simply springing for full bottles.

I recommend acquiring decants/samples of fragrances that are linear or very prominent of one particular note or a composition.

Fougere scents are usually composed of lavender, tonka bean, moss, and other aromatics to smell like fern, for example.

Another example is Lalique Encre Noire: it has a few notes, but it always dries down to a vetiver scent that lasts until it's scrubbed.

Guerlain Vetiver, far from linear, is a good example of composition: a ton of notes combined to smell like vetiver.

Tam Dao by Diptyque, both concentrations, can teach you a thing or two about sandalwood.

YSL Body Kouros has very prominent benzoine and eucalyptus notes.

Neither of the aforementioned fragrances are safe blind buys, so I wouldn't recommend simply springing for full bottles.

Wow. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I love purchasing various essential oils. Of course, some frags include synthetic fragrances in addition to essential oils. Essential oils can be powerful, so use only a drop or two. Be sure you purchase pure essential oils. There are a lot of blended oils out there that contain multiple notes as well as carrier oil. That defeats the purpose of trying to learn what individual notes smell like.

I have not purchased from them, but Bulk Apothecary sells even some of the less well known oils.

Essential Oils | Bulk Apothecary Supplier

Top Bottom