What's new

tips for writing with your arms instead of wrist?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
In a recent post, @jar_ noted that most new fountain pen users don't write properly. We were never taught to use our arms instead of wrists for writing. I plead guilty as charged. But as I'm trying to use my arms, I'm finding it difficult to write with smaller notebooks or anytime my hand isn't on the paper. I should note that I'm right handed and usually grip the pen towards the top of the section or on the threads. So I'm kind of wondering if I'm doing this wrong. Am I not supposed to rest my hand on the paper or desk while writing? Any of you classically-trained old timer's have any tips?

University destroyed my writing skills, a tiny fold up platform for a writing surface elbow jammed tight against my side in the cramped theater seating, had to learn to write quickly with my wrist after years of using a free arm to write at a slow easy pace.

Go at it just like @REV579 said, glide and give yourself room to spread your wings.
dave

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Visualize the conductor's baton during a waltz rather than the motions of a rapier. My hand is usually on the paper unless it's at the very edge.

I'm reading a book on handwriting I got at the library and it recommends S L O W D O W N. It even has a image of arm placement.

BTW Handwriting of the twentieth century / Rosemary Sassoon.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks all for the advice. I also read to rest my forearm on the edge of the table and use that to pivot instead of my hand. Even slowing down, my handwriting looks worse trying the arm way. I just need more practice, I guess.

French ruled paper can help. You can find PDFs of it, print a sheet, and place it behind plain paper. This can give you a guide.

I was never taught writing with arm movements, and tried to teach myself with varying success. But it isn't practical for writing on small or no surface.

Grip higher for a start. That is, hold the pen further from the nib. This help disable the grab reflex and allows you to draw or write more with the shoulder..and hence the brain...rather than engaging the reflex loop of the hand.

With a pencil this is easier when drawing as you use an overhand grip.

I grip further back on the pen (away from the nib) and the lower angle (less upright) helps me a lot. This is almost impossible to do with rollerball or ballpoint pens that need to be more upright in order to get ink out of the tip. Also, you need to think of it as also less fingers as well (not just less wrist). At least that is how I think of it.

You could get a wrist brace, and practice while wearing the brace... That will definitely make it harder at first but will get you out of the habit of using your wrist while writing for sure...

I learned the "Maclean's Method of Writing" in school, and the direction was to "glide on your nails".
I never did get the hang of that.

These days I'm seeing people gripping pens and pencils this way, with the pen at the base of the thumb:
proxy.php

and...
proxy.php

The notes with the second one say "In the one with the pencil, a standard tripod grasp is used. This is how children are taught to write in elementary school, and it is a habit that often follows them through life."
Say what?
I would have been scolded by the teacher for holding it like that.
Good luck using a fountain pen.

surely nobody writes a dissertation with a pen anymore. I used a computer in the early 90s. during lockdown I started keeping a diary and have been using different FPs every day 🙂

for me, scaling up whatever your writing to a larger scale helps to maintain control. Also, writing vertically with whatever pen held at something like 90 degrees instead of having the pen resting on the top of your hand kinda works. like if your pinching the pen instead of using it as you normally would wile sitting down. if you run out of paper, try using a wall or a whiteboard. ask your local graffitisupplier for larger pens if those are too small. Office suppliers should have whiteboard ink if your into that stuff. works great in the bathroom mirror or other glass surfaces at home.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Technically, everything I do is probably "wrong". However, while ugly, my handwriting is mostly legible, and is comfortable and feels natural to do. I did try doing things "properly" a few years ago, and it felt less comfortable, was less legible/uniform, and I made a lot of errors with the slower writing speed getting more out of sync with the speed of my thoughts. Haven't tried again since.

Top Bottom