What's new

Tips for Summertime Shave in Central Texas

I am living in Austin, Texas and I have been trying out various products to get a good comfortable shave in the heat and humidity. After weeks of trial and error, I have come up with a good fit.

Short answer: RazoRock La Famiglia (soft soap) and Floid Blue aftershave. No preshave products. No alum or anything else post shave.

The best shaves I have gotten have been from RazoRock La Famiglia Don Marco, Cella, and D.R. Harris Arlington soaps. The creams aren't doing well for me. It may be the water, I don't know. I have tried T&H, Trumpers, and Castle Forbes creams, as well as various other soaps. The soaps I named work for me hands-down the best. I prefer the RR Don Marco because of the scent, and because it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the others.

Now aftershaves: Floid Blue, if you can get it. I also like Speick, although the menthol kick from the Floid Blue really helps when you step outside into the heat, and TBH, I haven't tried Speick since the weather got hot. I have tried a lot of various aftershave products, however, and none perform anywhere near Floid Blue for the muggy heat. Osage Rub is a great splash if you are sweaty in the middle of the day and need something to dry you off and cool your face at the same time - just be ready for the strong menthol smell.

A lot of the products I use during the rest of the year, Proraso Pre/Post for example, aren't as good in the summer because of the moisture they leave on the skin. Once you step outside into the humidity your face becomes greasy. Stay away from balms entirely. I haven't found one that works in the summer.

The rest of the year I use preshave products but I have found that I am getting a better shave now if I don't, and just splash a bit of cold water on my face to tighten it up before lathering. I also have been skipping the alum block treatment since I switched to Floid Blue, and I don't really miss it.

Last edited:
I'm east of you, but more humid. if it works for you, it works.

I don't pre/post, I just shave after my shower in the morning. and I'm a big fan of the tallows. MWF, but more often Mike's Naturals. the only thing I change for summer is the heat of the water I soak my brush in, and splash on my face. I don't really need an after care routine either, so it's just a matter of selecting the aftershave/cologne I want to wear, and out the door I go, after I finger comb my wet shower hair.

but, have you tried tallows? I don't find them greasy, but they do moisterize the skin, to a degree.

and I'm a heavy sweater too.

My summer essentials!,

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 42

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
RR Don Marco and alum and Cetaphil cream for me.
I believe that Don Marco is now my full time summer shave cream/croap. I love it. Just bought 8 tubs and one puck of it. Set for the summer.
fyi--I live in the rio grande valley of south texas and it is 1 hot sum gun!

I have tried tallows. I like the shave of MWF but don't care much for the smell. It is a great soap, but in my opinion it is just as good as the others I have mentioned, and not the hands-down best like everyone makes it out to be. I recently ordered another puck and will probably be using it again soon, but the combo that I mentioned above leaves my face feeling great all day long in this oppressive heat.

I'm east of you, but more humid. if it works for you, it works.

I don't pre/post, I just shave after my shower in the morning. and I'm a big fan of the tallows. MWF, but more often Mike's Naturals. the only thing I change for summer is the heat of the water I soak my brush in, and splash on my face. I don't really need an after care routine either, so it's just a matter of selecting the aftershave/cologne I want to wear, and out the door I go, after I finger comb my wet shower hair.

but, have you tried tallows? I don't find them greasy, but they do moisterize the skin, to a degree.

and I'm a heavy sweater too.

Top Bottom