What's new

Tips for shaving full head of hair?

I have sebhorriec dermatitis pretty badly on my scalp and have been buzzing my head for years simply because it's considerably easier and more comfortable for me than struggling with ineffectual dandruff shampoos. Well recently my andis t outliners started yanking my hair randomly. So I decided hey, what the heck, I have a thousand de blades and so many high end razors that I might as well get through them instead of buying a new blade. So far, this has worked well for me. Shaving the head is easier than shaving the beard imo. Only thing is, my hair is still full and the top part is hard to navigate. How do you head shavers with full heads of hair navigate the whirl on the back of your head? My whorl isn't consistent enough for me to find a direction. And it's annoyingly thick. Shaving that area can be uncomfortable. I'm not looking to eppilate my hairline, just shave it. Any tips for shaving the whorl? Thanks fellas.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Any tips for shaving the whorl?

Well, you can always wait for male pattern baldness to move through that area. :)

Mine is high on the right side, and that's exactly the spot that gets the most irritation because I approach it from several angles. I learned to save finishing that spot for last and give it some special attention with extra-careful technique.

I have also discovered that a razor that clamps the blade very well, has fairly low blade reveal and a neutral to negative blade exposure helps by keeping the edge as rigid as possible. In addition, using the Rex Konsul adjustable slant means I can adjust the gap and aggressiveness to suit the area I'm shaving.

Finishing that area involves a careful front-to-back XTG then a careful back-to-front XTG and then careful ATG with skin stretching.

Finally I have learned to accept that going for a BBS is really going to light up that spot unless everything's absolutely perfect, which almost never happens. A good DFS works.

O.H.

I have sebhorriec dermatitis pretty badly on my scalp and have been buzzing my head for years simply because it's considerably easier and more comfortable for me than struggling with ineffectual dandruff shampoos.

I know all about ineffectual dandruff shampoos. I've tried them all. I had dandruff bad as a kid in the 1950s. The home remedy back then was mom heating up some kitchen oil in a pan on the stove. Then you'd lean your head over the sink and she'd pour the hot oil on your head and wrap it with a towel. Yes, that was as bad as it sounds. I preferred getting hit with her cat o'nine tails to those hot oil treatments. It got better in my 20s, when I had hair down to my shoulders for a time, and H&S worked for most of my life. It started getting bad again in my mid 60s, and since I buzz my hair (these days a #1 or less), I've found that washing it with Grandpa's Pine Tar bar soap (sometimes Packers in winter) and using a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse works better than any dandruff shampoo.

When our Gov (my State is #51 in a recent study of Covid effectiveness) closed the barber shop that did my buzz, I bought a Mangroomer Ultimate Pro off Amazon, because I couldn't stand going more than a month. I've been using it for 2 years & it works great. No cord. It fits in the palm of my hand, and I'm done in no time. I'm now somewhere under a #1. At some point I may just skip the combs and go as short as it can.

I did get bored about a year ago and tried a Limural clipper. I hated it and went back to the Mangroomer.

I know all about ineffectual dandruff shampoos. I've tried them all. I had dandruff bad as a kid in the 1950s. The home remedy back then was mom heating up some kitchen oil in a pan on the stove. Then you'd lean your head over the sink and she'd pour the hot oil on your head and wrap it with a towel. Yes, that was as bad as it sounds. I preferred getting hit with her cat o'nine tails to those hot oil treatments. It got better in my 20s, when I had hair down to my shoulders for a time, and H&S worked for most of my life. It started getting bad again in my mid 60s, and since I buzz my hair (these days a #1 or less), I've found that washing it with Grandpa's Pine Tar bar soap (sometimes Packers in winter) and using a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse works better than any dandruff shampoo.

When our Gov (my State is #51 in a recent study of Covid effectiveness) closed the barber shop that did my buzz, I bought a Mangroomer Ultimate Pro off Amazon, because I couldn't stand going more than a month. I've been using it for 2 years & it works great. No cord. It fits in the palm of my hand, and I'm done in no time. I'm now somewhere under a #1. At some point I may just skip the combs and go as short as it can.

I did get bored about a year ago and tried a Limural clipper. I hated it and went back to the Mangroomer.
Do you get it in your eyebrows? I must have severe seb dermcbecause it's basically all over my face. Had to start trimming my eyebrows years ago. Still haven't found the perfect solution for them.

Do you get it in your eyebrows? I must have severe seb dermcbecause it's basically all over my face. Had to start trimming my eyebrows years ago. Still haven't found the perfect solution for them.

If I let my eyebrows go, I'd look like Andy Rooney from 60 minutes. I hated trimming them with scissors. I use a 3mm (1/8") comb on my Mangroomer on my brows in between head buzzes. I once had a bit too much gin and forgot the comb. It wasn't all that bad. My wife never even noticed until I told her. We both had a good laugh, but they grew back. I also get hard spots on my head and occasionally around my hairline. Those come and go. I can't remember what they're called. A dermatologist once told me what they were after I had a basal cell removed from behind my ear. My wife goes to a dermatologist every year, but I don't bother.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I just had a little whiskey before shaving my head. :laugh:

I was really worried about shaving my head at first too, it took me an hour to finish when I first tried it.
But as I got more familiar, all I did was:
1. Do not pursue BBS.
2. During the shaving process, stroking with the other hand, feel the current state of skin and hair shaving.
3. If it hurts or bleeds somewhere prone to mistakes, I'll be a little more careful next time I pass here.
4.I would avoid using an overly aggressive razor on my head. (but not against slightly increased aggression on the face)
Then I found that my shaving skills and finish time were getting better and better before I knew it.

It's true to occasionally drink a little whiskey beforehand. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom