What's new

Tips for pawn shop hunting

Maybe so, but I've seen some ridiculously nasty looking razors clean up and shine with minimal effort. Sometimes it's hard to say what may be under all the crud on a badly neglected razor. You could end up with quite a gem!

Agreed.

This razor went from this...

$5.jpg

$2.jpg

$4.jpg

To this... and I had never cleaned a razor before and I havent even polished it yet.

$flaretip ac.jpg

$flaretip and ss ac.jpg

Actually, not getting anything yet is probably a blessing in disguise. Now you have some time to research here at B&B and at other web sites. That will allow you to determine what you might like and what prices are currently. There really is no substitute for knowing what you are looking at. I know it seems obvious, but I am astounded at how many people have no idea what they are selling--or what it's real value is. When you do go out shopping again, ALWAYS ask if the dealer can do better on their price. Be prepared to haggle and bargain--even if you think the posted price is good. The worst they can do is say no. But, I have never yet come across a flea market dealer who was not willing to knock at least a couple of dollars off in order to make the sale.

+1, shavethegray. I almost never buy stuff at an antique shop or estate sale without at least offering a lower price than what they're asking. To me, it just makes it more fun, because I feel like I got an even better deal if the seller agrees to my lower offer.

FWIW, if you haven't opened that package yet, I'd keep that one as is and buy another one as my daily driver. NOS razors like that are getting harder to find these days.

I have yet to have any luck at pawn shops, but estate sales and antique stores have been golden for me! You just have to know where to look and what to look for! There are definitely some great finds to be had.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
All this talk, I hit an antique store on my way to a grocery story. They had an old spice mug at $35, which I just can't justify. But I got a new, in package 1976 super speed +platnium blades for $5.
View attachment 277240

found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Gillet...462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a79e9d3fe
i said it once and i'll say it again...totally jealous! and i also think the ebay guy is asking to much. taking no credit away from your steal tho.

I suggest getting know the going prices from the BST and use that as your guide. If you have a smart phone, don't be shy about looking up the going rate of whatever it is you find at the antique store, or even use it to help you figure out what you did find.

I have one antique store that's been quite a honey hole for me. I've bought several razor all under the BST market prices. I recently picked up a Slim Adjustable for $4, a cased Lady Gillette for $8, a GEM 1912 for $2.50, and a super adjustable for $8. All were in very good to excellent shape, though some needed some cleaning and scrubbing.

Then again, I've seen your average tech with a $69 price tag.

It's too varied to give general advice on the vintage razors. I'll say something about the negotiating. Act like you're not that interested in it while you turn it over in your hand. Point out flaws. Even though it's EXACTLY what you were looking for, act like it's the strangest thing you've ever seen in your life. Make him think you only have a slight interest in it. Ask what the price is and say, " oh it's that much?" The ability to walk away from the deal gives you the most power. I got a Slim at an antique store for $8 that way.

I tried to sell some old DEs at the pawn shop from the tv show Pawn Stars in Vegas. They declined buying any of them and said there was no market for them. I went back there on another trip and they had in their case a pretty common Gillette old type, and they wanted $50 for it.

good luck with your search

For what it is worth. Whenever I go out hunting I have a couple of different stashes of money in each pocket. That way if say a razor is $8, I can pull out a solid $5. It will look like that is all I have. Usually they will give it to you.

works with street vendors in Italy as well.

Just so you don't feel too bad: I spent yesterday afternoon going to 3 large antique malls and one flea market. I only saw 5 or 6 SE razors and 1 DE. None of them were outstanding deals, so I didn't buy any of them. Except for gas it was cheap entertainment.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i'm gonna GS (google search) antique stores in my area and hit them up. likely wont purchase anything (funds are tight) but at least i'll know who has what and prices. the first antique store i went to last saturday had crazy prices! different stashes of cash, haggle, don't look interested if you really are. awesome tips everyone!

i'm gonna GS (google search) antique stores in my area and hit them up. likely wont purchase anything (funds are tight) but at least i'll know who has what and prices. the first antique store i went to last saturday had crazy prices! different stashes of cash, haggle, don't look interested if you really are. awesome tips everyone!

Even if you don't see anything in the stores, make sure you ask if they have any shaving-related items. Many times, they don't even bother putting them on display, but they might have a box full of razors in the back room that they picked up at estate sales, etc., but never bothered to price or display them.

antique stores are where I have found all mine cept for the Red tip, Valet and Long Handled Adjustables I have. I got my first at a garage sale.

Flea markets aka swap meets are your friend. Look for the "stuff & junk" stands, not the specialty vendors. I got a '73 Gillette Tech and a '53 Super Speed for $10 total. The guy had a ton of SE Gems, but I know nothing about them. He only wanted about $4 average on them. These guys already paid very little for what they have, and want to move it fast.

Pawn shops tend to be real proud of their stuff, and price it accordingly, antique malls ditto. It's like "discount" stores that aren't: they depend on walk in traffic who assume they must be getting a deal.

Top Bottom