What's new

Tips for a new Razor ( Rockwell 6C User)

I have been using the Rockwell 6C as a safety razor for 2 years. I use the R3 plate for a shave every other day and with three passes. The R4- R5 and R6 plates are aggressive to my skin and the best combination I have found is R3 + Gillette 7 O'Clock SS.
I have used as razors previously: Fatip Gentile, Fatip OC, DE89 and Fine MArvel.
I would like to buy a new Stainless steel razor, but I'm confused.
I had the following razors in mind:
  • Rockwell 6s, is a product that I already know but the material would make it eternal;
  • Henson Shaving AL13, I have read wonders about this product (Effective and delicate);
  • Razorock GameChanger, here too I have read positive comments but I don't know which plate to choose, 0.68 or 0.84.
My facial skin is quite delicate and I would like a razor a little more effective than the R3 plate but which maintains the same comfort. Thank you all

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just bought a Razorock Lupo .72 and that is a nice mid range stainless steel razor that is smooth shaver, I have a Razorock Game changer .84 also and it is also a nice razor but I'm thinking the Lupo .72 is just as smooth but a little more efficient possibly with a standard Gillette blade. It is still early for me to strongly recommend a Lupo(they are sold out at present) but there are a few You tube videos on the new RR Lupo's others are using that might help you. There are other MFG's who make excellent Stainless steel DE razors depending on your budget ,I like the Charcoal handles and the Timeless head designs also but do not own any of them yet.
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times.

I have all the razors in your list, your skin and beard are similar to mine.

Rockwell 6S: It is not as smooth as 6c.
Henson: Even the mild version still has a clear blade feel.
Razorock GameChanger: 84 is much easier to use than 68, the angle is easy to find, but it is not my recommendation.

RR BBS is very similar to mamba 70, but I prefer BBS. The blade has a large bending range and strong rigidity. It is intuitive to use a steep angle for the blade angle downwards. The cap is large enough to ride easier and super smooth. I think RR BBS is the best choice for your comfort and effectiveness.

RR Lupo and BBS are my two favorite RR razors. Their use feel is completely different. BBS couldn’t feel the blade, while Lupo lets the blade feel help you shave. You always know where the Lupo blade is.

The best situation is to get both, no kidding.:biggrin1:

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
[/QUOTE]
If you're shaving with Rockwell R3, I think GameChanger 0.68 would be about right. Plus, you have a delicate skin.
I can also propose a Karve razor with, perhaps, a B or a C plate.

I would agree with @Space_Cadet on this. I actually moved on from the 6c to a .68 SB Gamechanger and couldn't have been happier... until I moved on to my Timeless .68. The 6c is now my wife's 1st de razor.

If you're shaving with Rockwell R3, I think GameChanger 0.68 would be about right.
I'd agree with that. The published Rockwell gaps are

R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm)

As a fan of plates R4 and R5, I was expecting the safety bar Game Changer .68 to be like R5, but it felt milder. The gap is only a rough guide to what to expect.

I didn't find the matte finish on the 6S to be a problem. The matte steel handle has a better grip than the chromed 6C one.

I'd agree with that. The published Rockwell gaps are

R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm)

As a fan of plates R4 and R5, I was expecting the safety bar Game Changer .68 to be like R5, but it felt milder. The gap is only a rough guide to what to expect.

I didn't find the matte finish on the 6S to be a problem. The matte steel handle has a better grip than the chromed 6C one.
Blade spacing is part of the consideration, but it is not the most important factor in determining. You also need to consider the suitability of the blade exposure, blade clamping, the angle of the top cover and the safety bar, all of which are combined to be the personality of a razor, ex: R41.

I have been using the Rockwell 6C as a safety razor for 2 years. I use the R3 plate for a shave every other day and with three passes. The R4- R5 and R6 plates are aggressive to my skin and the best combination I have found is R3 + Gillette 7 O'Clock SS.
I have used as razors previously: Fatip Gentile, Fatip OC, DE89 and Fine MArvel.
  • Rockwell 6s, is a product that I already know but the material would make it eternal;
  • Henson Shaving AL13, I have read wonders about this product (Effective and delicate);
  • Razorock GameChanger, here too I have read positive comments but I don't know which plate to choose, 0.68 or 0.84.
My facial skin is quite delicate and I would like a razor a little more effective than the R3 plate but which maintains the same comfort. Thank you all
I have to second @Chef455 recommendation of the Timeless .68 Safety Bar version. I never tried the Game Changer but the Rockwell was my first and best razor for quite a while. I don’t like blade feel, I like smooth and comfortable. I recently purchased the Timeless polished SS .68 SB version and this razor feels like butter gliding across my skin. It has a neutral blade exposure but it is quite efficient. With a 30 day return policy I don’t think that you can go wrong.

Thank you for all your precious tips!
I came from Italy and i read that the waiting time for a Karve Razor Is about 1 month after the order. Another little problem Is the price, both Karve and Timeless in SS cost more than €200 and they are out from my budget.
Which are the main differences between Razorock BBS and GC 0.68?
Another question: i had the Edwin Jagger DE89 and i found it milder than the R3 Rockwell( 0.48 gap) but i read that it has a blade gap of 0.76... I think that this happen because of the blade exposure and what do you think about the razorock razors?

If you already know thr Rockwell 6c i would not give you my usual recommendation..
My usual ony would be the 6s but ot would be kinde redundant. One the one hand its good because it will be pretty much the same, but it won't give you any new input.
My second recommendation would be a Gamechanger 84-p. But as you prefer R3 I am sure the Gamechanger will be too much for your skin. As I don't know the 68 Gamechanger i cannot say much.

But...
Try the merkur Progress. I owe the razors above and at the moment I'm testing a Progress.
I'm totally astonished. Its smooth as a Rockwell at 3 and efficient and long lasting as R6 or Gamechanger. Im extreme impressed.
Its also adjustable to your needs. Eg I turn it down at the moustache area atg, where I tend to nicks when blade gap is too big, (have to be extremely careful with Gamechanger and Rockwell at 6). The process is easy to use and works with most blades like the Rockwell. There are two little negative aspects, the slippery handle and IMHO recokmend a soap that gives a good glide like cella what is more necessary fir the progress.
So that could be an alternative for you.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

My only concern is that GC 84 will be too much for my skin. I use R4 for WTG and XTG( sometimes, this may change beacuse of the blade) and ever R3 for ATG. With R5 and R6 there is too much blade feel and i lose too much comfort.

My only concern is that GC 84 will be too much for my skin. I use R4 for WTG and XTG( sometimes, this may change beacuse of the blade) and ever R3 for ATG. With R5 and R6 there is too much blade feel and i lose too much comfort.
I think you're right, and if you do get a Game Changer, make it the GC.68-P. You can always get the 84 plate later, if you need more.

Rockwell 6s, is a product that I already know but the material would make it eternal

I got the zamak and chrome 6C back in ~ 2018, and when I found out what good results I could get with it, I thought exactly like you, and bought the unbreakable 6S edition.

On the other hand, it is very popular now, Rockwell are doing OK, and even making coloured versions, so there isn't much danger of it going extinct soon. In your position, I'd try a new brand of razor.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
In addition...What do you think about Razorock BBS and Mamba 70?

Can't speak for the RR BBS, but I own the Mamba 70. It's a fine razor, but mild and not as efficient as I would like. I still use it on a rare occasion, but prefer to shave daily with a Karve SB or OC Plate B.

Can't speak for the RR BBS, but I own the Mamba 70. It's a fine razor, but mild and not as efficient as I would like. I still use it on a rare occasion, but prefer to shave daily with a Karve SB or OC Plate B.

I'm not sure if reposting stuff from vendors is within the rules here, but Italian Barber emailed me an "aggression chart" recently, that might shed some light on the RazoRock things we don't own.

I renamed the saved bitmap, so the name was not the random thing.
ItalianBarber razor aggression chart.jpg

Last edited:
the Karve is intriguing me as a razor, especially the one made of brass. How does it compare to the Rockwell? A kit with plates B C D is sold on the site.
my only concern is the waiting times for processing and shipping for Italy.

Meanwhile... This morning i had the classical Rockwell Shave:
  • R3 plate,
  • Omega EVO brush,
  • OSMA pre Shave oil,
  • Phoenix CK6 Future Fiction,
  • GIllette Rubie at third use.

Three passes, a little touch up on the cheeks under ears, comfort, good efficiency, no nicks, no blood, no red face, smooth skin. in 10-15 minutes i was ready.

Meanwhile... This morning i had the classical Rockwell Shave:
  • R3 plate,
  • Omega EVO brush,
  • OSMA pre Shave oil,
  • Phoenix CK6 Future Fiction,
  • GIllette Rubie at third use.

Three passes, a little touch up on the cheeks under ears, comfort, good efficiency, no nicks, no blood, no red face, smooth skin. in 10-15 minutes i was ready.

Tough to beat!! :a29:

Perhaps you have found ‘your razor.‘ In that case, you might consider purchasing a back-up!

the Karve is intriguing me as a razor, especially the one made of brass. How does it compare to the Rockwell? A kit with plates B C D is sold on the site.
my only concern is the waiting times for processing and shipping for Italy.
I would suggest that you get this. These plates should give you about what you are using now with the B-C and also give you a little room to grow with the D. This also gives you the eternal that you mentioned. I have this razor, and I also have the GC .84-P which is also a great razor. I just believe the Karve is more versatile for your current needs.

Did you ever considered to change your shaving routine ? You wrote that "your facial skin is quite delicate". But your skin tolareted 3 passes on your "other days" shave routine. So may be you may give a try to "two passes sahve" with plate 4. When you are trying plate 4 you may give a chance to more comfortable and less sharp blade as Astra Stainless or Astra Platinum.
This "less passes" shave methodolgy (2 instead of 3) may help to your skin irritations.

Once you are OK with two passes routine on 6C with plate 4, I suggest to pick GC .68 which is a great shaver.

I'll hope this is helpfull.

Top Bottom